Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 366858 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #1560 on: December 16, 2018, 10:46:23 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
lol. This thread has gone on so long the conversation is now about the existence of the thread itself.

Given the constant turmoil that goes on with the Sixers, I like having a single thread to go to rather than have a bunch of different ones about whatever fresh drama is going on in Philly.

Like, Fultz's mom is suddenly a really interesting character.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #1561 on: December 16, 2018, 11:29:59 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
lol. This thread has gone on so long the conversation is now about the existence of the thread itself.

Given the constant turmoil that goes on with the Sixers, I like having a single thread to go to rather than have a bunch of different ones about whatever fresh drama is going on in Philly.

Like, Fultz's mom is suddenly a really interesting character.

Is she an MVP candidate? The Sixers 4th all-star?  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1562 on: December 16, 2018, 11:34:20 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Simmons had 21/14/11 in just 31 mins today.  Doesn't seem affected by Butler's arrival.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #1563 on: December 17, 2018, 12:01:12 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Simmons had 21/14/11 in just 31 mins today.  Doesn't seem affected by Butler's arrival.

Simmons has always put up good numbers. The real question for him is if he can be effective against the elite teams like us or the raptors. Personally I think he should be moved to power forward if he is never going to shoot.

« Reply #1564 on: December 17, 2018, 12:13:01 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Simmons has always put up good numbers. The real question for him is if he can be effective against the elite teams like us or the raptors. Personally I think he should be moved to power forward if he is never going to shoot.
Simmons can put up big regular season numbers. Probably will his whole career. But if he can't shoot from outside, in a 7 game series it's easy to game plan against him and really hurt his team's chances of success

« Reply #1565 on: December 17, 2018, 12:36:20 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Simmons can put up big regular season numbers. Probably will his whole career. But if he can't shoot from outside, in a 7 game series it's easy to game plan against him and really hurt his team's chances of success

I 100% agree and I think Brett brown gives him a pass on not improving his shooting. I don’t think he will make the all star team this year either, but many have already appointed him a suoerstar

« Reply #1566 on: December 17, 2018, 01:11:38 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I 100% agree and I think Brett brown gives him a pass on not improving his shooting. I don’t think he will make the all star team this year either, but many have already appointed him a suoerstar
Do you guys not consider Giannis an all-star either? 

Who is making an all-star team over Ben Simmons this year?  He's averaging 16 points, 9 rebounds, 8 assists and 1.5 steals with 57% shooting.   Also, lock this thread.

« Reply #1567 on: December 17, 2018, 01:16:32 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Who is making an all-star team over Ben Simmons this year?  He's averaging 16 points, 9 rebounds, 8 assists and 1.5 steals with 57% shooting.   Also, lock this thread.
Too bad that he shrinks in the playoffs.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #1568 on: December 17, 2018, 01:47:22 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Giannis?  Different coach this year.  We'll see how he does.  Most blame the horrible coaching for how the Bucks underachieved in the playoffs last year.

« Reply #1569 on: December 17, 2018, 02:05:56 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Giannis?  Different coach this year.  We'll see how he does.  Most blame the horrible coaching for how the Bucks underachieved in the playoffs last year.

For east all stars (barring injuries)

Giannis
Griffin
Embiid
Leonard
Kemba
Irving
Oladipo
Vucevic
Butler

Are all pretty much locks
I think, provided they continue to be competitive wall will also make it
If Lowry raptors are still winning the east Lowry probably makes it

Then you have a group of guys like Beal, Middleton, Tatum, Drummond etc that will be competing with Simmons for the last spot. It the 76ers are the 4th or 5th best record in east it would be pretty unusual for them to get 3 all stars. Maybe it happened with us once when our big 3 was aging?

« Reply #1570 on: December 17, 2018, 02:22:31 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

I meant Simmons.

« Reply #1571 on: December 17, 2018, 02:57:25 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I meant Simmons.
Eh... He was a rookie last season and averaged 18 points, 11 rebounds, 9 assists and 2.4 steals in the first round over Miami.  Boston played him tough in Round 2 and Philly underachieved in general, but it seems kind of silly to suggest he's a career playoff choker over his first ever trip to the playoffs. 

« Reply #1572 on: December 17, 2018, 03:22:12 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

I meant Simmons.
Eh... He was a rookie last season and averaged 18 points, 11 rebounds, 9 assists and 2.4 steals in the first round over Miami.  Boston played him tough in Round 2 and Philly underachieved in general, but it seems kind of silly to suggest he's a career playoff choker over his first ever trip to the playoffs.
I don't think he is a choker, he is determined kind of guy, which I like.
This is a skill thing, offensive versatility.
He is really effective in transition.
Once the game slows down in the playoffs and teams load up on his drives he becomes ineffective and basically cramps his team's halfcourt offense. And that is the majority of his team's offense where he is the playmaker. Wouldn't you agree that this is sub-optimal, to say the least? A playmaker slowing his team's offense down.

I don't dig traditional stats much without the whole context.
TDs mean little to me. For example; Fultz is the youngest ever to achieve one.
What did it mean long term? Nothing.
He is looking for another team and for a no.1. pick.
Nobody wants to give an asset of true value for him and he is 20.
Russell is a TD god, but he is the 2nd best player on his team that regularly bounces in the 1st round.

Versatility and no critical weaknesses are the name of the game to me.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 04:23:58 AM by Androslav »

« Reply #1573 on: December 17, 2018, 04:48:29 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I meant Simmons.
The Sixers were predicted to miss or at best barely make the playoffs last season.  Finishing with 52 wins and winning a 1st round playoff series was most definitely overachieving for the Sixers.

« Reply #1574 on: December 17, 2018, 05:09:17 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I meant Simmons.
The Sixers were predicted to miss or at best barely make the playoffs last season.  Finishing with 52 wins and winning a 1st round playoff series was most definitely overachieving for the Sixers.
Meh... if that’s the game we are playing ... Charles Barkley said our season was over during halftime of our first regular season game.  We were widely expected to lose in the first round when kyrie got hurt.  If anyone overachieved, it was the Celtics.  That run was one of the most improbable in nba history.  Literally unprecedented.   

Philly dropped the ball in the second round.  It is what it is.