Poll

Choose your starter

Theis
Thompson
They both start at the 4 and 5
Neither; we witness Timelord’s Ascension

Author Topic: Who starts: Theis or Thompson?  (Read 5011 times)

Who starts: Theis or Thompson?
« on: December 01, 2020, 02:21:19 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
Training camp coming up and the season too in a few weeks. C’s only have 2 preseason games so preps are gonna be tight (or will bleed over to the start of the season). If you’re CBS, who do you go with?

Theis: already knows the system and was more than capable last year as a starter, spaces the floor, creates opportunities through movement, mobile enough to switch out on the perimeter

Thompson: brings in elite rebounding, can rim run and has a go-to floater for an inside game, sets tough screens that could be a boost for our PnR heavy offense, mobile enough to switch out on the perimeter but also strong enough to bang with bigger centers

- LilRip

Re: Who starts: Theis or Thompson?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 03:55:59 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Both likely I would think. Thompson came as a free agent. Im sure he was told he would likely start

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 07:18:06 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I think due to compressed offseason Theis might get nod initially. I think TT is a better fit for most matchups as he has some more beef to him and is a much better rebounder offensively/defensively.

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 07:24:16 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Both our offense and defense were elite with Theis last year.  I don’t think that Brad makes a change.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 07:34:59 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Theis is the better player and knows the system. Theis starts.

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 07:35:52 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
Makes no sense to change up out playoffs team that made it to the ECF.

Thompson might be the first person off the bench though. Theis can play PF as well as Center so I can see TT being the 6th man who comes in and lets Kemba go to the bench. Making a very tough team to beat down to opposition.

Smart
Brown
Tatum
Theis
Thompson
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 08:15:00 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Thompson has started 429 games out of 619 total played so has seen both roles but has mostly been a starter on both good and bad teams.  Theis has started 69 out of 194 games so has been mostly a bench player, although he was principally a starter last season.

I predict that Thompson starts more games than Theis.

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 08:18:03 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Thompson has hamstring injury. His minutes will be restricted in beginning. Expect more PT for Rob.

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2020, 08:30:41 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Wouldn't mind seeing both!  That shifts Tatum to SF and Brown to SG.  I also keeps Smart on the bench with the second unit.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2020, 09:03:15 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Wouldn't mind seeing both!  That shifts Tatum to SF and Brown to SG.  I also keeps Smart on the bench with the second unit.

I agree with this as an aspiration but I don't feel it will work unless Theis has improved his shooting/scoring (which isn't out of the question).  His 3pt% was 39% in 2018-19 but down to 33% in 2019-20.  If he can get that back to the 39% range while also introducing some additional offensive options (ball handling, passing and adding a few new ways to score when the opportunity is there) then OK.  That may be a lot to ask for in terms of improvement from Theis but as I said, not out of the question.

Based on the offense that Theis gave us last season and what offense Thompson has provided his whole career, the two don't provide enough to be on the floor at the same time as a core unit.  I am not saying never, just not a a primary or core rotation.

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 09:23:44 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I’m not sure if this will be who starts, but the ideal closing lineup might look like this:

PG: Kemba
SG: Brown
SF: Tatum
PF: Thompson
C: Theis

I hate the idea of not having Smart in there, but love the rebounding aspect that a combination of Thompson and Theis would provide on both ends of the court. Preventing offensive rebounds by the opposing team, while getting a few of our own offensively would be nice for a change.

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 09:24:31 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. The floor spacing will be awful. Neither Theis nor TT can space the floor. Could possibly work in short stints in certain matchups but I’d have severe doubts that Stevens would ever consider starting two bugs like that in the same lineup.

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2020, 09:25:00 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
Theis needs to be told that if he doesn't shoot that wide open 3 ball he gets a dozen times a game at least 5-6 times, his minutes are going down. He's a capable shooter with good form and arch. Get used to it and start knocking it down. He can make at least 35% if not considerably better. If Smart can, or Baynes can, or myriad other lousy shooters across the league can -- he can. 

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2020, 09:42:06 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Theis is the backup center....this, by the way, is fantastic news as he will often be faced with better matchups coming off the bench as the 7th guy or whatever.

Theis later in rotation = better player

Thompson = NBA starting center = Celtic's starting center

Celtics make effort to improve their frontcourt = put their improved frontcourt on the court!

Theis off the bench is a fantastic thing. The Celtics have not had a "complete big" come off the bench since...?

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2020, 09:45:49 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Theis is the better player and knows the system. Theis starts.

Theis is not the better player...

Come on

Thompson has another level he can reach in the playoffs.  Theis does not. Bam has another level he can reach. Theis does not

Theis is a solid option off the bench
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 09:59:13 AM by Tr1boy »