Author Topic: Fultz still can't shoot  (Read 24888 times)

Re: Fultz still can't shoot
« Reply #135 on: February 13, 2018, 07:52:42 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Rick Ankiel, Steve Sax, Chuck Knoblauch, and going back further, Steve Blass and Mackey Sasser.

They call it the yips.  Virtual reality is not going to help is my prediction.  It seems like Fultz doesn't want to play.  Really stunning.

I would tell him to shut it down completely until the season is over.  Then for 2 or 3 months, he can only shoot with his left hand. Then try his right hand again.  He needs a total reset.
Knoblauch...forgot all about his sudden loss of throwing skill

« Reply #136 on: February 13, 2018, 08:25:12 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I'm optimistic for Fultzy.  Related to goggles business, there's some research showing positive outcome from "solution guided imagery" among golfers.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/academia.edu.documents/44048480/Decreasing_Putting_Yips_in_Accomplished_20160323-30939-1lex62i.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAIWOWYYGZ2Y53UL3A&Expires=1518574759&Signature=nrGiEcVnTHyrZXFis2Prohf1EzU%3D&response-content-disposition=inline%3B%20filename%3DDecreasing_Putting_Yips_in_Accomplished.pdf

Here's an article that easy to follow that points to some other studies: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-top-athletes-suddenly-develop-yips-choke-under-pressure/

Studies seem mostly golf-related.  One super interesting and seemingly consistent finding is increased left hemispheric brain activity, relative to right, in athletes with the yips.  It's believed to represent increased analytic thought that causes disruption when present during a task that is typically completed on "autopilot."
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #137 on: February 13, 2018, 08:30:50 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Studies seem mostly golf-related.  One super interesting and seemingly consistent finding is increased left hemispheric brain activity, relative to right, in athletes with the yips.  It's believed to represent increased analytic thought that causes disruption when present during a task that is typically completed on "autopilot."
Commonly referred to as, "You're overthinking it". Just play the game :P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #138 on: February 13, 2018, 08:43:56 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Yeah, that's pretty much it.  It'll be super interesting to see how it plays out for him.  Not a huge baseball fan, but in reading about some of the former pitchers & fielders listed above, some ended up 'recovering' while others were forced to retire.

« Reply #139 on: February 13, 2018, 08:49:24 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Yeah, that's pretty much it.  It'll be super interesting to see how it plays out for him.  Not a huge baseball fan, but in reading about some of the former pitchers & fielders listed above, some ended up 'recovering' while others were forced to retire.
It's a little weird. I can understand how it works in baseball, when you pretty much stand on a mound and wind up for as long as you want. In basketball, though, it seems you often have a split second to decide, so you more or less have to play a lot by instinct and muscle memory (so no real time for a mental "freeze").

If I were a Philly fan, I'd be worried about that little bit about the crowd and the flashlights. He went to a small school. Is the scene too big for him now?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #140 on: February 13, 2018, 10:54:24 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

It's a little weird. I can understand how it works in baseball, when you pretty much stand on a mound and wind up for as long as you want. In basketball, though, it seems you often have a split second to decide, so you more or less have to play a lot by instinct and muscle memory (so no real time for a mental "freeze").

If I were a Philly fan, I'd be worried about that little bit about the crowd and the flashlights. He went to a small school. Is the scene too big for him now?

Very well could be.  I know he played well in international competition, but maybe he is rattled by the big stage. 

Slightly off-topic.. as kids, my brother and I made a habit of writing letters to mediocre or worse NBA players.  It was both exciting and humorous -- we could reasonably hope they'd reply, and they could reasonably assume we were serious.  My big score was a Hawks bumper sticker autographed by Alan Henderson; my brother outdid me with an autographed picture from Bryant 'Big Country' Reeves. 

All that said, this may be a small window of time in which to communicate with a super talented ball player and seemingly interesting/quirky dude.  If the door is left even slightly ajar, I may offer these links and intervention assistance free of charge.  While a restraining order seems likely, Alan and Bryant have proven that miracles do happen...

« Reply #141 on: February 13, 2018, 11:57:29 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Rick Ankiel, Steve Sax, Chuck Knoblauch, and going back further, Steve Blass and Mackey Sasser.

They call it the yips.  Virtual reality is not going to help is my prediction.  It seems like Fultz doesn't want to play.  Really stunning.

I would tell him to shut it down completely until the season is over.  Then for 2 or 3 months, he can only shoot with his left hand. Then try his right hand again.  He needs a total reset.

Sometimes you can play through them.  Jon Lester couldn’t throw to 1st, but few enough players got there to matter.

« Reply #142 on: February 14, 2018, 12:34:02 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Sometimes you can play through them.  Jon Lester couldn’t throw to 1st, but few enough players got there to matter.
Yeah, but this would be like if Lester grew terrified of his own curveball and cutter.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #143 on: February 14, 2018, 08:58:06 AM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
I'm optimistic for Fultzy.  Related to goggles business, there's some research showing positive outcome from "solution guided imagery" among golfers.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/academia.edu.documents/44048480/Decreasing_Putting_Yips_in_Accomplished_20160323-30939-1lex62i.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAIWOWYYGZ2Y53UL3A&Expires=1518574759&Signature=nrGiEcVnTHyrZXFis2Prohf1EzU%3D&response-content-disposition=inline%3B%20filename%3DDecreasing_Putting_Yips_in_Accomplished.pdf

Here's an article that easy to follow that points to some other studies: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-top-athletes-suddenly-develop-yips-choke-under-pressure/

Celtics fan from Cambridge or environs over here.

« Reply #144 on: February 14, 2018, 10:18:56 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

U of Washington is a small school?  Maybe compared to Ohio State.

I'm dubious that this is a case of stage fright, given that he's played fine on the national stage before and in front of big crowds.  And the problems seemed to start during last summer.  Possible.  But I'm skeptical.

We (public fans) will probably never really know the cause of all this.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #145 on: February 14, 2018, 10:42:15 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

I'm dubious that this is a case of stage fright, given that he's played fine on the national stage before and in front of big crowds.  And the problems seemed to start during last summer.  Possible.  But I'm skeptical.

He worked on his stroke to make it have quicker release and he messed himself up. 
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #146 on: February 14, 2018, 10:53:07 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

He worked on his stroke to make it have quicker release and he messed himself up.
Yes he did, and it was a bad move if he did it without consent from sixers training/coaching staff.  That said, I also do not doubt the 'stage fright' theory either.  His eyes are shifty during interviews and he doesn't seem like he believes his own hype.

« Reply #147 on: February 14, 2018, 10:59:43 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
This whole thing has been really intriguing to me... I've never seen anything like this in the NBA before.  I can see it in baseball where there's copious amount of times to think (and over think) throws in pressure situations, but basketball is a quick rhythm sport.

I honestly don't see how Fultz can come back from this.  Many of the day-to-day practice videos are showing a completely different shot that isn't even remotely serviceable in the nba... even if they were going in! 

Is it bad that a small part of me is secretly taking delight in this? 

« Reply #148 on: February 14, 2018, 11:05:09 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Derek Bodner has a story on the Athletic that Fultz, with Keith Williams, worked on his shot before and after the draft.  Williams denies making significant changes to Fultz's shot but does acknowledge working on a few minor alterations, including limiting the dip at the beginning of his shooting motion. 

« Reply #149 on: February 14, 2018, 11:14:28 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
This whole thing has been really intriguing to me... I've never seen anything like this in the NBA before.  I can see it in baseball where there's copious amount of times to think (and over think) throws in pressure situations, but basketball is a quick rhythm sport.

I honestly don't see how Fultz can come back from this.  Many of the day-to-day practice videos are showing a completely different shot that isn't even remotely serviceable in the nba... even if they were going in! 

Is it bad that a small part of me is secretly taking delight in this?
Yes it is.  Were you delighted when Embiid missed a 2nd season?  Did you write him off then?  Oops.  Big Mistake. 

No reason not to expect Fultz to come back from this even if he misses the full season.  He should develop into a starter and possibly a star.  Never saw him as a franchise player and  obviously still don't.