Poll

Is it fair for LA to count the minnesota titles ?

Yes it’s 100% fair.
13 (40.6%)
Not fair. Minnesota isn’t LA.
19 (59.4%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Is it fair the Lakers can count the Minnesota titles as their achievements?  (Read 9231 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
It looks like they’re about to win “banner 17” and tie the Celtics

Is it fair that the Los Angeles Lakers count 5 titles the team technically won in Minnesota?

Always felt the city is very important to the achievement of winning a championship.  From the fans, to the arena, to the regional draft picks, to swaying free agents, the city adds many important elements to a team that should not be discounted.  OKC Thunder shouldn’t really brag about any achievements the Seattle SuperSonics made, even though it’s the same team technically.... right ?

My opinion is that LA found an opportunity to pad their team history and claim another cities achievements as their own
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 01:28:50 AM by CelticsElite »

Re: Is it fair that Lakers can count the Minnesota titles?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 12:52:51 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
Funny, Lakers fans in the past never wanted any part of the Minnesota titles in their conversations, until they started winning titles within the past 20 years.

But the Lakers will always discredit the Celtics, for winning those 10 championships when there were only like 8 teams in the NBA during the Bill Russell/Hondo era.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 01:06:49 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
No, it is most definitely not fair that they Lakers get to claim the 5 Minny titles. Should OKC fans be able to go around saying "their team" won the title in 1979 (the Sonics)? No, they shouldn't.

But the Lakers will always discredit the Celtics, for winning those 10 championships when there were only like 8 teams in the NBA during the Bill Russell/Hondo era.

Yeah, I have a Lakers friend who says this, and my reply to him is, "If it was so easy, why didn't the Lakers win any titles during that period?" Six of Boston's titles during that period came against the L.A. Lakers (and one against the Minneapolis Lakers).
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 01:33:04 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
No, it is most definitely not fair that they Lakers get to claim the 5 Minny titles. Should OKC fans be able to go around saying "their team" won the title in 1979 (the Sonics)? No, they shouldn't.

Yeah, I have a Lakers friend who says this, and my reply to him is, "If it was so easy, why didn't the Lakers win any titles during that period?" Six of Boston's titles during that period came against the L.A. Lakers (and one against the Minneapolis Lakers).

I bet you your friend was like "that's because the Celtics were overpowered back then with Bill Russell, Havlicek, Heinsohn, Cousy"

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 02:20:08 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

I bet you your friend was like "that's because the Celtics were overpowered back then with Bill Russell, Havlicek, Heinsohn, Cousy"

LOL, yeah, pretty much! The Celtics built a better team, for sure, small league or not.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
As long as they refuse to acknowledge the things Mikan and Mikkelsen did for their team with jersey retirements then they don't get to count the titles as their own. Simple
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 02:55:36 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Aaaaand the Lakers were even more stacked with West, Baylor, Goodrich, Wilt and co :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
As long as they refuse to acknowledge the things Mikan and Mikkelsen did for their team with jersey retirements then they don't get to count the titles as their own. Simple
^this. Their owner also left the trophies in Minnesota when they made the move :o
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
^this. Their owner also left the trophies in Minnesota when they made the move :o
Yeah, they seemed to hold the Minny Lakers in contempt. I feel that OKC has as much claim to Seattle's lone ring
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Same ownership, same management, same players?  Then yes, it’s the same franchise, and accordingly, those titles belong to that franchise.  The city of LA doesn’t own those titles, but the Lakers franchise does.

My opinion only, but I feel like Boston fans seem incredibly insecure when they try to take away the Lakers titles from Minneapolis.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Let them have it. It’s the same franchise.
It’s a much bigger concern how content some fans and management are with making record number of draft picks over winning titles and keeping the lead in title counts.
Seems more and more painfully obvious that trading and signing top 15-25 players plus many draft picks is a recipe for ECF exit not a title.

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Same ownership, same management, same players?  Then yes, it’s the same franchise, and accordingly, those titles belong to that franchise.  The city of LA doesn’t own those titles, but the Lakers franchise does.

My opinion only, but I feel like Boston fans seem incredibly insecure when they try to take away the Lakers titles from Minneapolis.

Couldn't agree more, Roy. I am certainly not pleased that the Lakers franchise is about to tie the Celtics, but I am not going to look for the smallest sliver of something to make it not true.

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

TP.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
What bothers me about it is that they never did this in the Forum.  It was only after their move to staples, with Phil Jackson coming aboard that they started to acknowledge anything about those titles.  Seems like some marketing ploy that the media and league were more than willing to go along with.

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
The franchise certainly owns those titles. Modern Lakers fans probably can't really celebrate them though.