Author Topic: I have a hard time liking this team  (Read 6928 times)

Re: I have a hard time liking this team
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2021, 01:25:44 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I actually feel just the opposite.  I think the core team is very likeable.  Tatum, Brown, Walker, Smart, what is not to like?  They all play hard, no diva attitudes.  I like the core of this team.

I can say that and also recognize that the bench depth is very weak, especially the bigs.  Guys like Grant Williams, Theis, Javonte Green are all just not that good but they all play hard and buy in.

I don't understand how the lack of talent of individual players, who still play hard, is connected to not liking the team overall.  Now if the team was all players like Ricky Davis, I could see it but that is not the case, not even close.

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2021, 04:13:04 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
Because the team "as a whole" isn't good. Our core of tatum, brown, smart and walker is decent to good. But I personally dislike kemba as a core player, just not a fan of his height and lack of defense that goes with it. If he was our back up PG then fine that's where role players belong.

We can like the core all we want but you have to include the bench when judging this team and the bench is directly on danny's shoulders. This core didn't deserve this.

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2021, 04:16:20 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
It's very easy to overreact after a bad game or a couple of bad games.  I'm as guilty of it as everyone else and I thought last night's loss was horrible.

That all said I think they do get a bit of a pass.  They went deep into the bubble playoffs, everyone expected the season to start around now, not just before Christmas and there are no fans.

One has to think they'll improve.  But the early signs/observations:

Thompson gets an F so far. He's been getting owned by everyone he guards.
Theis has not been as good as last year
G Williams gets an F so far. He shouldn't be playing but they're forced to use him.
Smart has been poor
Teague playing lousy coincided with PP taking his minutes
Bench still isn't good enough

I'm hoping some of that improves and pushes the thoughts that Brad can't get them to play hard anymore and Ainge screwed up building the roster out of my head.

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2021, 04:56:18 PM »

Offline Celts17201

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 13
Isn’t Tatum back next game, in part anyway?
I want to be the man my dog thinks I am

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2021, 05:37:09 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Because the team "as a whole" isn't good. Our core of tatum, brown, smart and walker is decent to good. But I personally dislike kemba as a core player, just not a fan of his height and lack of defense that goes with it. If he was our back up PG then fine that's where role players belong.

We can like the core all we want but you have to include the bench when judging this team and the bench is directly on danny's shoulders. This core didn't deserve this.

They sure looked good to me a week ago when they were 8-3 and atop the conference and riding a 5 game win streak. 

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2021, 05:49:19 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

They sure looked good to me a week ago when they were 8-3 and atop the conference and riding a 5 game win streak.

The bench was overachieving those games. A good stretch that was unsustainable.
The Celtics are really middle of the pack in the NBA statistically.
That will be enough to make the playoffs in the East though.
And if the Celtics can get chemistry between Tatum, Brown and Walker they can compete for those 2-4 spots when fully  healthy.

But as Stevens has admitted himself: “I’ve been around a lot of good teams here, some teams that went far in the playoffs and I think we’re OK. I think we got a lot of room to grow and get better. And, I think we’re fortunate to be where we are from the standpoint of our record. Can we be better? Yes, I think so. And, we just have to keep working towards that."
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 05:54:40 PM by RodyTur10 »

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2021, 06:16:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I love all Celtic teams. When they aren't good, I like to watch the development of the youth. When they are good, I cheer them on towards a hopeful title.

Great thing about the last 4 years or so, I have been blessed with being able to cheer them on towards a very possible title, but also watch some great youth develop, some into stars, and maybe into superstardom.

What's not to like?

I say step back and look at the bigger picture and stop letting your like or dislike of the team be determined by a few consecutive losses. Every season has ups and downs. And Stevens' teams, except one, seem to get better as the year goes on and into the playoffs....even given late season injuries.

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2021, 06:23:00 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I love all Celtic teams. When they aren't good, I like to watch the development of the youth. When they are good, I cheer them on towards a hopeful title.

Great thing about the last 4 years or so, I have been blessed with being able to cheer them on towards a very possible title, but also watch some great youth develop, some into stars, and maybe into superstardom.

What's not to like?

I say step back and look at the bigger picture and stop letting your like or dislike of the team be determined by a few consecutive losses. Every season has ups and downs. And Stevens' teams, except one, seem to get better as the year goes on and into the playoffs....even given late season injuries.

I remember cheering on Dino, Pervis, Dominique, Montross, Barros, Wesley, Walker, Tabak, Vitaly, and so many others. I'm a Celtics fan trough thick and thin.

I could I leave Sherman Douglas off that list?

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2021, 06:28:17 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

The bench was overachieving those games. A good stretch that was unsustainable.
The Celtics are really middle of the pack in the NBA statistically.
That will be enough to make the playoffs in the East though.
And if the Celtics can get chemistry between Tatum, Brown and Walker they can compete for those 2-4 spots when fully  healthy.

But as Stevens has admitted himself: “I’ve been around a lot of good teams here, some teams that went far in the playoffs and I think we’re OK. I think we got a lot of room to grow and get better. And, I think we’re fortunate to be where we are from the standpoint of our record. Can we be better? Yes, I think so. And, we just have to keep working towards that."

Nothing wrong with overachieving

Thats what the Heat basically were last season

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2021, 12:57:16 AM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
We play stupid basketball on offense. And defense seems to just be something they talk about.

It's like we don't have a coach. The philosophy on offense is losing basketball and the thing he's supposed to known for is defense and this team doesn't even look like they practice defense.

Couldn't agree more. The offense is stale, predictable and easy to stop. The defense is swiss cheese and allows layup drills in the paint. This is honestly painful to watch. The only bright spot is Brown and Tatum both look like superstars. Pritchard and Robert Williams can both play. Other than that not a whole lot to be happy about watching this team.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 01:05:46 AM by Spicoli »

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2021, 01:22:41 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The starting lineup has played zero minutes so far this season.

We have yet to see the team in it's intended form.

It's been a frustrating up and down start to the season. But it's just too early to form any definitive impressions of what the team will be.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 01:30:10 AM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2021, 01:57:17 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
The starting line up and health are irrelevant imo. The things that are wrong with this team are prevalent no matter who's playing or not.

The worst thing about all this is I feel like danny knows exactly what the issues are with this team but addressing them would be like admitting the failure and mistakes.

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2021, 02:28:52 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
So dislike it !

I even found some satisfaction - I admit it was hard- during the Jordan Crawford-J Green-K Humphries year. Founding hope that we catched a good coach for years to come.

Everything is not perfect in our game, we are not a finish product. But man, CBS was always a coach of development (players on severall years and team inside a year). This beginig season the game isn't the typicall Celtis BBL Stevens developped last years, but we know with our coach we will finally have a solid collectiv defense and good offensive shems. Which team has everything positiv now ? It is a strange and disturbing season. Even 76ers don't. With Tatum we may have beaten them twice and being on the top of the east, everyone (medias and many of the negativ "fans" and rah rah like me) saying we are the team under the radar for this year.

I enjoy to watch two young superstars with good ethic and team spirit, making huge steps forward. I will enjoy when our collectiv game will progress and Smart will make again decisive plays. And I will enjoy to continue to see the development of our youth to be a part of the supporting cast. Even if of course some of them won't make it. But we are still a team in construction, with big potential, even being already a top 6 NBA team. I enjoy that.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 02:40:04 AM by Rikibellevie »

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2021, 06:07:03 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'm kind of tired of this team. I still like Tatum, Brown and Theis. Payton and Time lord are fun to see but they are likely career bench guys. Don't have a high opinion about anyone else. Kemba will always struggle with defense, Smart will always struggle with offense and everyone else will struggle with everything. Hated not trading Hayward at the deadline. Really hate not dealing Hayward to Pacers when they had a chance. Also hate how this team develops players. Not enough team development. No faith DA will make moves to fix the team.

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2021, 08:02:23 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
We should probably chill out for the time being, but there are some concerns that need to be addressed. One thing that blows is that Ainge actually brought in proven veteran FAs this season and they have both been horrible. I don't blame him for that - those signings were very good decisions at the time - but who would have thought that Thompson and Teague would completely fall off a cliff the minute they put on a Cs uniform?