Author Topic: Mook's full comments ripping the Celtics attitude  (Read 10616 times)

Re: Mook's full comments ripping the Celtics attitude
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2019, 09:19:34 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
So, Mook's said his piece. How do you think the team and players will respond? Will it be a) they take it in the spirit it was (presumably) given and try to be more selfless; b) think "who the hell are you to tell us what to do who voted you the leader";  c) have a Jaylen-type response in the media saying "we should be together not pointing fingers" or d) ignore it?

I feel like this might be the tipping point that either galvanizes them after the All Star break or breaks them apart. We're entering a really tough part of the schedule, away games against the Sixers twice (away), Bucks (away), Toronto (away), GS (away), Houston (home), Denver (home), and Indiana twice (home and away). Plus some tough games against Detroit, the Heat (twice) and the Wizards (twice).
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2019, 09:20:27 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Sadly, because Stevens is such a nice guy and refuses to say the things that need to be said, we get guys like Morris saying them.

Problem is, when a teammate says this it just creates more division. That's why the coach needs to be the one saying this stuff.

Really wish we had Doc back right now, I have full confidence he'd be getting through to these guys. Stevens looks like he's in over his head, unfortunately.

How do you know CBS is not saying it? Are you in the lockerroom? There are plenty of reports of cbs holding players accountable and even yelling at them. Saying things to the media may feel good but they rarely help the issue. Just because cbs doesn’t say that stuff to the media doesn’t mean it’s not being said.

Stevens has never struck me as the type to bow before anyone. He’s the same guy all the time. He is straight forward, confident, and working the problem. He is not b—————ing to the media, even if that may feel good to do.

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2019, 09:21:48 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Sadly, because Stevens is such a nice guy and refuses to say the things that need to be said, we get guys like Morris saying them.

Problem is, when a teammate says this it just creates more division. That's why the coach needs to be the one saying this stuff.

Really wish we had Doc back right now, I have full confidence he'd be getting through to these guys. Stevens looks like he's in over his head, unfortunately.

How do you know CBS is not saying it? Are you in the lockerroom? There are plenty of reports of cbs holding players accountable and even yelling at them. Saying things to the media may feel good but they rarely help the issue. Just because cbs doesn’t say that stuff to the media doesn’t mean it’s not being said.

Stevens has never struck me as the type to bow before anyone. He’s the same guy all the time. He is straight forward, confident, and working the problem. He is not b—————ing to the media, even if that may feel good to do.

I guess it's because Stevens is so mild mannered, they probably want to see him yelling and carrying on like some of the more animated coaches. It's true none of us know what goes on behind closed doors.

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2019, 09:23:24 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I think this is a back and forth finger pointing thing that guys are doing and it needs to stop. We know which group played poorly against the Lakers and we know which group played poorly against the Clippers. Morris needs to be quiet with the media. He is just as guilty as others playing selfish ball at times and wanting to start. Why not say this after a game he was poor in? He only talks when certain guys have a bad game

Morris is a lousy team player. Selfishness personified.

He is not a good fit on a team that already has a lot of hands of feed. Only useful to teams that are short-handed on offense once you get past their stars and can therefore live with his selfish black hole style of offense.

I am looking forward to him leaving this summer.

I had a trade Morris and Rozier thread at the deadline.  Most people were cold to the idea.  I thought Morris might come back to earth with his hot shooting, and taking shots away from Hayward and Brown.  But if all we were getting is a late first round pick it was probably best to just hold on to him until the summer to preserve our depth for now.

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2019, 09:25:38 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
Morris is trash, I’m sorry. The quicker Brad sees it the better off we all are. He is now dragging himself up and down the court and plays pretend defense on perimeter shooters. He also gets in the way on fast break attempts because of his lack of athleticism. Instead of running  all the way to the paint he stops just before the paint and backs up behind the 3 point line which interrupts passing lanes. For some reason only Lord knows, Brad kept playing Morris and Morris kept getting taken to task until the 28 point lead became a loss. He sucks the energy out of this team on defense AND offense. Whenever Jaylen came in the energy skyrocketed. He would have been +8 if it weren’t for the 3 point foul on Shamet. Brad took Jaylen out and you know the rest. Against the Lakers, Mook lost Kuzma on his last crucial 3 and we won’t talk about the fumbled rebound. Marcus Morris is an embarrassment to the organization, having the audacity to talk about effort when he has output none in the last month. Bench Morris or lose everyone.

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2019, 09:29:37 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

I'm not convinced that Doc would manage their personalities as well as you think.  His Clippers locker room was completely fractured when he was coaching Blake, CP3, and Jordan in their prime years.

He did an excellent job of managing ego's in Boston, but let's not ignore that Pierce, Ray, and KG were at the back end of their prime.  Individual accomplishments weren't a priority at that point.  Rondo was the biggest pain in the *** but Doc had KG to help keep him in line. 

People are underselling how unique the current roster mix is in modern NBA history.  Let's have Brad yell at Tatum, Brown, Rozier etc.  You know what their reaction will be?  Danny is going to ship me out for AD anyways......

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2019, 09:43:44 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
CBS doesnt like change.  They had 3 plays and played pick and roll basketball.  Just play a [dang] zone, for awhile, and disrupt it.

Also, can we try to go big? Maybe that would solve some of those defensive problems in the 2nd half.

I've been noticing Tatum doesn't like to pass the ball...especially to Hayward.  Hayward has his man sealed and Tatum is out there doing his 1 on 1 clear out move. That crap has to stop! Get your shots in the flow of the offense and quit being selfish. And that goes for Morris too. He just puts his head down and goes 1 on 1 like he's playing Markieff in the back yard.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2019, 09:47:30 AM »

Offline Pvictor11

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 62
CBS doesnt like change.  They had 3 plays and played pick and roll basketball.  Just play a [dang] zone, for awhile, and disrupt it.

Also, can we try to go big? Maybe that would solve some of those defensive problems in the 2nd half.

I've been noticing Tatum doesn't like to pass the ball...especially to Hayward.  Hayward has his man sealed and Tatum is out there doing his 1 on 1 clear out move. That crap has to stop! Get your shots in the flow of the offense and quit being selfish. And that goes for Morris too. He just puts his head down and goes 1 on 1 like he's playing Markieff in the back yard.
I feel the same way. Morris and Tatum were the worst to watch. Very selfish. Looking for their own shots all game. We can't have 2 guys like that in the same lineup. I'd like to see Brown starting over Mook.
Brazilian Celtic Fan!

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2019, 10:14:20 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I think this discussion is warranted.  The Celtics should be playing better.  They are under achieving.  Under achieving teams (players and coaches) should feel some pressure.

In terms of the cheering and having fun, I buy that only up to a point.  Hayward for example is a veteran who is trying to come back from a career threatening injury.  He is not having fun and it has nothing to do with him being a bad teammate or anything like that.  Even before the injury, he is a mellow guy.  He is not going to be waving towels around.  Supporting your teammates in whatever roll you are asked to fill is a fair expectation but that can manifest itself in many more ways than waving towels on the bench.  Morris expressed in in a very simplistic way but what he is saying is very likely true, just more nuanced than he articulated.

As far as the young guys (Tatum, Brown, Rozier) none of them seem to be playing as well as last year and it is impacting the team.  I don't know to what extent they are sulking about not being as highly featured or if they are just young players that the NBA is figuring out.  They do all seem to be less scrappy this season.  They are certainly less productive.  I don't think any of them are bad teammates though.  I think they are all good character players.

So maybe the starters should be Irving-Smart-Hayward-Morris-Horford, Bring Tatum, Brown, and Rozier off the bench.  Tell them they can start again when they figure out how to be effective in the NBA on a consistent basis.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 10:25:44 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2019, 10:22:45 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Nook is right because there’s dissection in the locker room.  It’s a chance for peopl to grow.  Young players need to grow up aka brown and rozier and realize your time will come but sitting and sulking ain’t gonna make it come faster...go out and prove it.  And Brad needs to grow as a coach.  Get tough with your starters, tell the vets to speak up and step up and you brad put down the mild mannered shoe salesman attitude and show some passion.  I think things will change come playoffs because the goal will be clear.  They’ve kinda already checked out but I think they’ll turn the switch.  Until then they gotta learn to play as one.

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2019, 10:25:26 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
I've been noticing Tatum doesn't like to pass the ball...especially to Hayward. Hayward has his man sealed and Tatum is out there doing his 1 on 1 clear out move. That crap has to stop! Get your shots in the flow of the offense and quit being selfish. And that goes for Morris too. He just puts his head down and goes 1 on 1 like he's playing Markieff in the back yard.

Most people on the team don't want to pass the ball to Hayward

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2019, 10:30:16 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
I've been noticing Tatum doesn't like to pass the ball...especially to Hayward. Hayward has his man sealed and Tatum is out there doing his 1 on 1 clear out move. That crap has to stop! Get your shots in the flow of the offense and quit being selfish. And that goes for Morris too. He just puts his head down and goes 1 on 1 like he's playing Markieff in the back yard.

Most people on the team don't want to pass the ball to Hayward

If a 6'8 guy has Louis Williams sealed...you pass him the ball.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2019, 10:44:50 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
So, Mook's said his piece. How do you think the team and players will respond? Will it be a) they take it in the spirit it was (presumably) given and try to be more selfless; b) think "who the hell are you to tell us what to do who voted you the leader";  c) have a Jaylen-type response in the media saying "we should be together not pointing fingers" or d) ignore it?

I feel like this might be the tipping point that either galvanizes them after the All Star break or breaks them apart. We're entering a really tough part of the schedule, away games against the Sixers twice (away), Bucks (away), Toronto (away), GS (away), Houston (home), Denver (home), and Indiana twice (home and away). Plus some tough games against Detroit, the Heat (twice) and the Wizards (twice).

I expect them all to ignore him. Nobody cares what Morris thinks.

He is not respected like that. Like Kyrie, Horford or Smart.

Morris is just an emotional guy who runs his mouth and plays selfishly. He is not a guy you pay attention to.

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2019, 10:56:56 AM »

Offline Pvictor11

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 62
I think this discussion is warranted.  The Celtics should be playing better.  They are under achieving.  Under achieving teams (players and coaches) should feel some pressure.

In terms of the cheering and having fun, I buy that only up to a point.  Hayward for example is a veteran who is trying to come back from a career threatening injury.  He is not having fun and it has nothing to do with him being a bad teammate or anything like that.  Even before the injury, he is a mellow guy.  He is not going to be waving towels around.  Supporting your teammates in whatever roll you are asked to fill is a fair expectation but that can manifest itself in many more ways than waving towels on the bench.  Morris expressed in in a very simplistic way but what he is saying is very likely true, just more nuanced than he articulated.

As far as the young guys (Tatum, Brown, Rozier) none of them seem to be playing as well as last year and it is impacting the team.  I don't know to what extent they are sulking about not being as highly featured or if they are just young players that the NBA is figuring out.  They do all seem to be less scrappy this season.  They are certainly less productive.  I don't think any of them are bad teammates though.  I think they are all good character players.

So maybe the starters should be Irving-Smart-Hayward-Morris-Horford, Bring Tatum, Brown, and Rozier off the bench.  Tell them they can start again when they figure out how to be effective in the NBA on a consistent basis.

I think this could be a good Idea. Have a veteran starting lineup and Young second Unit. Tell them to pretend it's last years playoff
Brazilian Celtic Fan!

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2019, 11:00:15 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

I think this could be a good Idea. Have a veteran starting lineup and Young second Unit. Tell them to pretend it's last years playoff

Tatum would sulk.

Larry Bird