Author Topic: Kyrie Upset Schroder Called Him The N-Word  (Read 9272 times)

Re: Kyrie Upset Schroder Called Him The N-Word
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2021, 06:54:24 PM »

Kiorrik

It's human nature to assign your own meaning to things. In communication, that causes a lot of issues; because the sender has a different meaning for something than the receiver.

It's one of the basic flaws in human communication.

Won't ever go away. Best we can do is acknowledge it when it happens and try to adapt our sending/receiving.

Unfortunately though, we tend to err on the side of the receiver, and thus blame the sender.

Regardless of intent.

The fun part comes in when intent IS malicious, and the receiver still chooses to interpret it as non-malicious. Even while they know the actual intent.

Fun, because at that point, it will fail at said malicious intent. Water off a duck's back.

Back to the issue at hand; it is what it is, just stop using that word already.

And if you do choose to use it; know that you run the risk of being (seen as) a bad person.

.ps: this stuff fascinates me to no end.

I think I understand where you're coming from. I remember taking a class called Interpersonal Communication and it definitely made me view how we communicate with each other in a different way. Actually, an analogy could be playing a one on one game where one person may be the offensive player and the other is defensive. Basically, one player is initiating a movement while the other is just responding to it. The direction it takes depends on the back and forth of such movement and it can be based on the offensive player (as in the player with the ball) going one way and the defender manipulating the player to go another way.

In this case, from what you seem to be referring to, the perception of what one player is doing can be completely different from what the other player is reacting to. Either way, I do find that aspect of communication to be pretty interesting.
Yeah, that's a close enough analogy :)

I think the biggest point is that people aren't agnostic, when it comes to words. They attach value and meaning to it. That's human nature.

Some people have been taught they can use a certain word all the time. Others have been taught the opposite. This is where someone might take offense. Even when the other person didn't mean offense. Imagine the word "normal" offending someone. Because of whatever. That's fine, if both know about that limitation. If one doesn't, then why would the other person take offense? They didn't MEAN to offend.

And that's kinda the problem. We don't look at intent as often as we should.

In the Kyrie vs Schroder case; we don't know the context, but if Kyrie takes offense, sure, Schroder could just apologise and move on. No big deal unless you turn it into one. Also, Kyrie could try not to make a huge deal out of it, unless he meant to raise public awareness on inequality again. Which I can get behind too. Too much inequality remains, so trying to make people talk about it more isn't a bad thing.

Anyway, just wanna state again; I think the world would be better off if we'd just stop using the word altogether. And if you do use it right now, well, you're rightfully subject to scrutiny.

« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2021, 07:21:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
It's human nature to assign your own meaning to things. In communication, that causes a lot of issues; because the sender has a different meaning for something than the receiver.

It's one of the basic flaws in human communication.

Won't ever go away. Best we can do is acknowledge it when it happens and try to adapt our sending/receiving.

Unfortunately though, we tend to err on the side of the receiver, and thus blame the sender.

Regardless of intent.

The fun part comes in when intent IS malicious, and the receiver still chooses to interpret it as non-malicious. Even while they know the actual intent.

Fun, because at that point, it will fail at said malicious intent. Water off a duck's back.

Back to the issue at hand; it is what it is, just stop using that word already.

And if you do choose to use it; know that you run the risk of being (seen as) a bad person.

.ps: this stuff fascinates me to no end.

I think I understand where you're coming from. I remember taking a class called Interpersonal Communication and it definitely made me view how we communicate with each other in a different way. Actually, an analogy could be playing a one on one game where one person may be the offensive player and the other is defensive. Basically, one player is initiating a movement while the other is just responding to it. The direction it takes depends on the back and forth of such movement and it can be based on the offensive player (as in the player with the ball) going one way and the defender manipulating the player to go another way.

In this case, from what you seem to be referring to, the perception of what one player is doing can be completely different from what the other player is reacting to. Either way, I do find that aspect of communication to be pretty interesting.
Yeah, that's a close enough analogy :)

I think the biggest point is that people aren't agnostic, when it comes to words. They attach value and meaning to it. That's human nature.

Some people have been taught they can use a certain word all the time. Others have been taught the opposite. This is where someone might take offense. Even when the other person didn't mean offense. Imagine the word "normal" offending someone. Because of whatever. That's fine, if both know about that limitation. If one doesn't, then why would the other person take offense? They didn't MEAN to offend.

And that's kinda the problem. We don't look at intent as often as we should.

In the Kyrie vs Schroder case; we don't know the context, but if Kyrie takes offense, sure, Schroder could just apologise and move on. No big deal unless you turn it into one. Also, Kyrie could try not to make a huge deal out of it, unless he meant to raise public awareness on inequality again. Which I can get behind too. Too much inequality remains, so trying to make people talk about it more isn't a bad thing.

Anyway, just wanna state again; I think the world would be better off if we'd just stop using the word altogether. And if you do use it right now, well, you're rightfully subject to scrutiny.
Schroder did apologize, immediately.  You can see what they are saying to each other.  Irving wouldn't let it go.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2021, 07:40:51 PM »

Kiorrik

Schroder did apologize, immediately.  You can see what they are saying to each other.  Irving wouldn't let it go.
Regardless, this word shouldn't cross people's lips. Kyrie not letting go is just ... Kyrie.

Also, refs are getting worse and worse in this league man :x wholly different discussion though, I suppose.

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2021, 07:47:31 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Regardless, this word shouldn't cross people's lips. Kyrie not letting go is just ... Kyrie.

Also, refs are getting worse and worse in this league man :x wholly different discussion though, I suppose.
obviously plenty in the black community disagree with this.  Kyrie got upset, Scroder apologized, that should have been the end of it, but Kyrie took into a crazy (and hypocritical) level.  This was 100% and entirely on Kyrie. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2021, 08:07:13 PM »

Kiorrik

obviously plenty in the black community disagree with this.  Kyrie got upset, Scroder apologized, that should have been the end of it, but Kyrie took into a crazy (and hypocritical) level.  This was 100% and entirely on Kyrie.
K. So. Back to my point.

In today's society, it's on the sender, not the receiver.

This means that if there's a word that offends a lot of people, you shouldn't use it.

This word offends more and more people in the black community regardless of who uses it.

So don't use it.

Simple.

In a way, the use of the word is an example of the Streisand effect.

The more it's being said (regardless by who or in what context) the more it'll be repeated by everyone.

« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2021, 08:42:53 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

K. So. Back to my point.

This means that if there's a word that offends a lot of people, you shouldn't use it.

This word offends more and more people in the black community regardless of who uses it.

So don't use it.

Simple.

The more it's being said (regardless by who or in what context) the more it'll be repeated by everyone.
What's your evidence of this? Kyrie Irving is not representative of any community
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2021, 10:04:06 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
The N-word is a derogatory racial slur!
It will never be...
-a term of endearment
-reclaimed
-flipped
 NEVER FORGET ITS FOUL AND TRUE HISTORY!
Throw that N-word out the window, right alongside all of those other racist words used to describe my people.

We are not slaves or N’s

Does he have a point?

Might be the first time I've ever passionately agreed with something Irving has said.

« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2021, 11:11:30 PM »

Kiorrik

K. So. Back to my point.

So don't use it.

Simple.

What's your evidence of this? Kyrie Irving is not representative of any community
Personal experience and observation.

Sorry, I don't have a white-paper on the matter or anything.

« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2021, 12:03:57 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
This country has become completely obsessed with race.  What a complete waste of time and resources.   

I agree that we can improve equality (rather than equity) in the US, but our politicians have no desire to achieve a more balanced society; race has been used historically to create division, and Kyrie has only added to the problem -- there's a lot of money to be made there, as the co-founder of BLM just demonstrated.

Thank You Sir.

If black Americans think that the BLM organization has their best interests at heart, they are mistaken. Money & Power is their purpose.

So they made some coin fighting for justice. Nothing to see here. Social Justice industry is a very lucrative industry....very lucrative.

"made some coin" ?  What, are you in 8th grade ?

The problem is the hypocrisy - BLM supporter claim all sorts of do-good intentions and too many mentally lazy people just follow along, assuming they are sincere. BLM, Jessie Jackson, Sharpton, ANTIFA, Pelosi and the rest of the Hate America crowd hide their real agenda. Money & Power.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce