Author Topic: Kyrie Upset Schroder Called Him The N-Word  (Read 9270 times)

Re: Kyrie Upset Schroder Called Him The N-Word
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2021, 01:56:01 AM »

Online tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
This country has become completely obsessed with race.  What a complete waste of time and resources.   

I agree that we can improve equality (rather than equity) in the US, but our politicians have no desire to achieve a more balanced society; race has been used historically to create division, and Kyrie has only added to the problem -- there's a lot of money to be made there, as the co-founder of BLM just demonstrated.

Thank You Sir.

If black Americans think that the BLM organization has their best interests at heart, they are mistaken. Money & Power is their purpose.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2021, 02:14:33 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
This country has become completely obsessed with race.  What a complete waste of time and resources.   

I agree that we can improve equality (rather than equity) in the US, but our politicians have no desire to achieve a more balanced society; race has been used historically to create division, and Kyrie has only added to the problem -- there's a lot of money to be made there, as the co-founder of BLM just demonstrated.

Thank You Sir.

If black Americans think that the BLM organization has their best interests at heart, they are mistaken. Money & Power is their purpose.

So they made some coin fighting for justice. Nothing to see here. Social Justice industry is a very lucrative industry....very lucrative.

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2021, 02:20:57 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525

Disagreement is as American as apple pie.  Lots of people, including me, think that there remains a great deal of fundamental inequity in our country based upon skin color.  If you thought this way you probably wouldn't see it as a waste of time to address.

I’d rather seek equity (fairness and meeting needs rather than everyone having the same), but honestly don’t need to have that debate.    Race has been used by people other than politicians to divide — and race issues are not the only issues worth our while to address. 
We’ve certainly addressed Kyrie issues for years here that have had nothing to do with race.  And if the co-founder of BLM has engaged in some impropriety then I’d likely be on the side of thinking that this person did something improper.   Bottom line is I’m pretty sure I am missing your point.

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2021, 02:32:39 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Thank You Sir.

What do you know of the best interests of African-Americans?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2021, 04:12:27 AM »

Offline djsway104

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 30
I'm sorry, but I'm only looking to hear black voices on this topic. And really, I don't even want to discuss this topic at all on this site, so I'm gonna bounce. I'm truly exhausted from hearing other races' opinions on what's good/bad for blacks.

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2021, 08:27:41 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Disagreement is as American as apple pie.  Lots of people, including me, think that there remains a great deal of fundamental inequity in our country based upon skin color.  If you thought this way you probably wouldn't see it as a waste of time to address.

I’d rather seek equity (fairness and meeting needs rather than everyone having the same), but honestly don’t need to have that debate.    Race has been used by people other than politicians to divide — and race issues are not the only issues worth our while to address. 
We’ve certainly addressed Kyrie issues for years here that have had nothing to do with race.  And if the co-founder of BLM has engaged in some impropriety then I’d likely be on the side of thinking that this person did something improper.   Bottom line is I’m pretty sure I am missing your point.

There's a difference between addressing real issues centered around race and seeing every topic with a hint of race as relevant to a broader discussion. What this topic is about has nothing to do with real race issues. It has more to do with our collective obsession with race implications that we manufacture and socially police, for really no good benefit, or at least one with diminishing returns.

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2021, 11:43:33 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Wait ... Schroder's black. Are blacks no longer allowed to say the N word to other blacks?

I can't keep up with all of this race-related stuff.

Schroeder is German ....may make a difference.
Schroder is half Gambian and half German but born in Germany, Kyrie is half Sioux and half African-American but born in Australia. I feel like if either of them can say it then both of them can, as there is never any apparent issue with black Africans using the word. Kyrie is just looking for a reason to be offended (shock)

Maybe the different nationalities/ethnic origins make a difference, at least in some people's minds? I feel like there are too many layers/variables/nuances for all of us to keep up with.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2021, 12:49:56 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It’s not the right messenger, but I don’t think we should be as outright dismissive as many are.

It’s a vulgar, racist term.  My guess is that a large percentage of blacks don’t like it.  Why should a black person have to accept being called a slur simply because the majority of his race has adopted it?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2021, 01:02:10 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1673
My stance is that I don't use the word and that's the end of my involvement in the issue.

Whether Kyrie allows/disallows Schroder to use the word to address him is between them.  Has nothing to do with me. 

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2021, 01:13:09 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
It’s not the right messenger, but I don’t think we should be as outright dismissive as many are.

It’s a vulgar, racist term.  My guess is that a large percentage of blacks don’t like it.  Why should a black person have to accept being called a slur simply because the majority of his race has adopted it?

I don't disagree with you. But it's your first clause that matters most.

Linguistic reappropriation is something that happens within a particular culture. In order for the word to be eliminated within Black American culture, Black Americans will need to come to a consensus. Like Atzar said, white people need to accept that it's not their battle to involve themselves in. No matter how supposedly justified their intentions.

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2021, 01:18:58 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

There is a clear and definite intention at times when the word is used from one black person to another as an insult and not a term of endearment. I have no issue with Kyrie finding offense to the word if it was slung at him in a dehumanizing way. 

As a white person I may not have a stake in the matter but I am not just going to bury my head in the sand and pretend that I do not support Kyrie's position if he is sincere in his beliefs. Frankly it was a pretty brave thing for him to tweet.

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2021, 01:26:01 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Dunno if what Schroeder said is right or wrong.

What I do know is that Kyrie is pathetic for throwing him under the bus like this.
This is my main issue. Let's say we give Kyrie the absolute benefit of the doubt. He's not being his usual narcissistic drama queen self, he's actually a changed man. I still think it's very unfair to run to social media to publicly call out Schroder for using the same word Kyrie had used in the same way in the past. After a game where Schroder clearly got into his head, no less.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2021, 02:14:44 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Why is this thread not in CE?

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2021, 02:25:17 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
It's human nature to assign your own meaning to things. In communication, that causes a lot of issues; because the sender has a different meaning for something than the receiver.

It's one of the basic flaws in human communication.

Won't ever go away. Best we can do is acknowledge it when it happens and try to adapt our sending/receiving.

Unfortunately though, we tend to err on the side of the receiver, and thus blame the sender.

Regardless of intent.

The fun part comes in when intent IS malicious, and the receiver still chooses to interpret it as non-malicious. Even while they know the actual intent.

Fun, because at that point, it will fail at said malicious intent. Water off a duck's back.

Back to the issue at hand; it is what it is, just stop using that word already.

And if you do choose to use it; know that you run the risk of being (seen as) a bad person.

.ps: this stuff fascinates me to no end.

I think I understand where you're coming from. I remember taking a class called Interpersonal Communication and it definitely made me view how we communicate with each other in a different way. Actually, an analogy could be playing a one on one game where one person may be the offensive player and the other is defensive. Basically, one player is initiating a movement while the other is just responding to it. The direction it takes depends on the back and forth of such movement and it can be based on the offensive player (as in the player with the ball) going one way and the defender manipulating the player to go another way.

In this case, from what you seem to be referring to, the perception of what one player is doing can be completely different from what the other player is reacting to. Either way, I do find that aspect of communication to be pretty interesting.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2021, 06:15:37 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

Thank You Sir.

So they made some coin fighting for justice. Nothing to see here. Social Justice industry is a very lucrative industry....very lucrative.

Wasn’t that Jessie Jackson’s line of work ?