Author Topic: Kanter with 30 rebounds  (Read 4670 times)

Kanter with 30 rebounds
« on: April 11, 2021, 07:41:38 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 572
So, I know it’s one game, but he’s always been a monster on the glass. Last night, 30 total, 12 offensive, and 24 points.
 I know he’s not a very good defender, but I still don’t understand how he couldn’t have helped the Celtics. I personally would prefer him to TT, but maybe I’m wrong.
Thoughts?

Re: Kanter with 30 rebounds
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 07:43:22 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
Sorry double post

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 08:23:47 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I definitely miss him and he is a beast on the boards. I know they also used to put him in games when we needed a spark offensively because he could get you 2-3 buckets at any given time in the low post or on the offensive boards. I believe they wanted TT because they thought he would be a better defender obviously but especially against the likes of Embid but I don't see it.

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 08:25:27 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Celtics did not use Katner that much and u see what happens..he couldn’t shoot 3s so that’s why he didn’t play that many minutes
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 09:27:05 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Also worth mentioning that 30 rebounds in a game is the most of any NBA player this season..

While on the C’s He seemed to play better defensively against bigger centers like Embiid, Brook Lopez, Jordan, etc than Thompson does. Kanter is still only 28 years old and making $5M this season. Would have much rather kept him instead of signing Thompson(now 30 years old) for twice the salary.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 09:42:25 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 09:36:22 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
Celtics did not use Katner that much and u see what happens..he couldn’t shoot 3s so that’s why he didn’t play that many minutes

Haven’t seen Thompson or Williams taken an, so not sure that’s the reason.

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 09:43:19 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

No. This is a flat out lie. He didn't play as much in certain matchups because he couldnt defend the PnR.

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 10:40:37 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
He could also guard embiid better than anyone on our team.

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 10:53:21 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
There are guys who play for the C’s, are awesome, and then fall off a cliff afterwards.

Alternatively, there are guys like Kanter who play for the C’s, look like they’ve fallen off a cliff, and then revive their careers after.

The only way I can make sense of this is if CBS’ offensive and defensive systems are likely lot more “rigid” than we give it credit for. That means there are guys who will thrive here but aren’t thriving elsewhere and Ainge can potentially get these guys on the cheap.

But it also means that some of the things we see now (routinely low FTA, bad Smart shots, switch everything and have Kemba defend the post, help one pass away and leave the corner man open) are a product of the system and not just our players not trying hard enough/not having enough fight, etc.
- LilRip

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 11:05:05 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
So, I know it’s one game, but he’s always been a monster on the glass. Last night, 30 total, 12 offensive, and 24 points.
 I know he’s not a very good defender, but I still don’t understand how he couldn’t have helped the Celtics. I personally would prefer him to TT, but maybe I’m wrong.
Thoughts?

That is the paradox that is Enes Kanter.  He always seems to have good box scores but then when you watch him play on your team, he doesn't do much.

What I saw with Kanter in his time as a Celtic was that he played defense to get rebounds, not to actually provide resistance to the other team scoring.  He would always sag off with soft defense and kind of lean towards getting rebounding position over leaning towards actually defending.  That is why he appears as a bad defender but a good rebounder.

We had him and he didn't help us.  He wasn't that good.  He got plenty of opportunity but didn't beat out guys like GWilliams, RWilliams, and Ojeleye for minutes.  I know it seems like we missed something when he goes out and puts up a game like this but that is not the Enes Kanter that showed up night in and night out.

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 11:09:46 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Kanter is a niche player, great guy and does well within his limits but as I said he has his limitations. Stevens did his absolute best to hide his defencies last year.

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2021, 01:01:30 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Stevens is inflexible. He is another coach that fumbles into ‘good’ decisions. He mishandled Rob Williams until he was out of options.

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2021, 01:32:46 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

No. This is a flat out lie. He didn't play as much in certain matchups because he couldnt defend the PnR.

This.

And it’s a little weird to say the Celtics got rid of Kanter because they will only play bigs who shoot the 3. If that’s right, why did they go out and got Tristan Thompson? Turn down Myles Turner, who does shoot the 3? They thought TT would bring defense, championship experience, and a little chip-on-the-shoulder the team needs. Hasn’t worked out great, but clearly they didn’t get him and haven’t played him for his outside shooting.

If all they want is shooting why aren’t Kornet and Wagner playing more???
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 01:44:39 PM by Sophomore »

Re: Kanter with 30 reboun
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2021, 01:46:04 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

This.

And it’s a little weird to say the Celtics got rid of Kanter because they will only play bigs who shoot the 3. If that’s right, why did they go out and got Tristan Thompson? Turn down Myles Turner, who does shoot the 3? They thought TT would bring defense, championship experience, and a little chip-on-the-shoulder the team needs. Hasn’t worked out great, but clearly they didn’t get him and haven’t played him for his outside shooting.

Because there is no design on this team. They just roll out the ball and hope Tatum wins it for them. There is no plan.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 04:17:00 PM by Ogaju »

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2021, 01:54:55 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

This.

It's not because Kanter can't shoot the 3, Timelord can't either. It's because he can't switch on multiple players on the perimeter. Brad's entire coaching philosophy is based around positionless basketball, where the team switches pretty much everything. With Kanter he had to change his philosophy because Kanter can't really defend on the perimeter and can't be switched on guards. Basically, Kanter, Drummond, those types of players, Brad doesn't know how to use, or his system doesn't allow them to play to their strengths.

If you look at Kanter, n the 45-odd games he's played for Portland, playing 26 mpg he's had a 24-30, a 20-20 and a 19-19 game and a total of 26 double doubles, as well as 13 games of 15+ rebounds and 4 games of 20+ rebounds. Compare that with his tenure with us, he had 9 double doubles in 58 games averaging 16 mpg.

Brad's system just doesn't maximize the strengths of someone like Kanter, because the system magnifies his weaknesses.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D