Author Topic: Do you have a “second team”?  (Read 4411 times)

Re: Do you have a “second team”?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2021, 06:20:31 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Not currently. Had plenty over the years so not loyal to one particular team. I get interested in particular players or mixes of players. I often like up-and-coming teams with young stars.

The Spurs with Duncan is the 2nd team I followed for the longest which was for the duration of his career and then I did not care much about them once he left.

Like others, I loved the 90s Sonics with Kemp and Payton. The Penny / Shaq Magic and Olajuwon's Rockets were special too. A lot of 2nd teams during the Celtics lean years! Those were some hard times. Disengaged a bit in early 00s but reengaged in mid 00s (after Shaq & Kobe broke up!). Also a big fan of the Boozer and Deron Jazz teams in late 00s along with Bosh's Raptors.

At the moment though, no ... I just can't get interested in teams the same way with the way the league is right now. All the games look so similar to one another. So many 3 pointers. So much time spent dribbling the ball. I get bored.

Oddly enough, I've spent the last two months watching a team who I hated at the time (because they won so much) and haven't been able to watch and enjoy them ever since until recently -- the 90s Bulls. For the last 20 years I would pretty much only watch the games they played where I knew they lost! I guess animosity fades over time.

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2021, 06:26:19 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Working in Akron it is pretty hard to not get Cavs news a lot, so I at least pay attention to them and their mostly miserable fan experience.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2021, 09:26:29 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
We get a lot of Hornets news ,  but I was Celtics fan 20 years before their was a hornets team , and after the great early hornets teams ...the talent level dropped as did my interest.

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2021, 09:47:44 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
 They keep playing like tonight and I’ll be looking for a new first team

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2021, 10:18:45 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
I like watching the Nuggets. They’re my darkhorse to come put of the west.

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2021, 10:21:50 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I watch the Suns quite a bit because I really like Devin Booker's game. Starting to watch the Nuggets more because they got my other binky, Aaron Gordon.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2021, 05:31:15 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Not so much teams as players. Although I do like Memphis, Dallas and San Antonio generally over the years. Have all had guys I've really liked (Dirk, TD, Kawhi, Manu, Luka, Kidd, TA, Gasol, Morant, etc.) and have played some great basketball styles, whether it was grit n grind or the ball-movement of that 13-14 Spurs team

Same, I keep an eye on the ex Celtics. Like Hayward in Charlotte and Al in OKC (till they shut him down). I just to follow IT in Cleveland and Denver and even in LA.

But if I did have a second team it would probably be the Clippers...I just enjoy watching Kawhi play.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2021, 07:58:53 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
My second team is the University of Vermont Mens Basketball Team.  That year they beat Syracuse in the Tournament was wild.  That 3 pt shot by TJ Sorrentine (who is about 5'-10") was from almost half court.  Syracuse just sat back in their zone defense and watched the shots go in.  Coach Brennan was not the only one who nearly exploded.  The radio call is legendary, "Teeeee Jaaaay Sorrentinnnnnnne".  It was awesome (UVM fans don't get many moments like that).

Seriously though, on the pro side, it is only the Celtics.

Catamounts earn first NCAA Tournament victory
Mar 18, 2005

WORCESTER, Mass. (AP) -- Tom Brennan would have retired a happy man regardless. But his 264th victory at Vermont made his impending departure a whole lot sweeter.

The wildly popular coach cried openly Friday night after his 13th-seeded Catamounts earned their biggest victory in school history. Germain Mopa Njila and T.J. Sorrentine hit consecutive 3-pointers in a 48-second span of overtime as Vermont upset Big East champion Syracuse 60-57 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

"When that went in, I thought I might burst," Brennan said of Sorrentine's long 3 from the top of the key. "I thought you might find me in pieces around the arena because there's no drug, nothing in the world that is that feeling. There's nothing that can make you feel like that except competition and going through a lot with your guys, especially ones you love."

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2021, 09:10:55 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
My second team is the University of Vermont Mens Basketball Team.  That year they beat Syracuse in the Tournament was wild.  That 3 pt shot by TJ Sorrentine (who is about 5'-10") was from almost half court.  Syracuse just sat back in their zone defense and watched the shots go in.  Coach Brennan was not the only one who nearly exploded.  The radio call is legendary, "Teeeee Jaaaay Sorrentinnnnnnne".  It was awesome (UVM fans don't get many moments like that).

Mar 18, 2005

WORCESTER, Mass. (AP) -- Tom Brennan would have retired a happy man regardless. But his 264th victory at Vermont made his impending departure a whole lot sweeter.

The wildly popular coach cried openly Friday night after his 13th-seeded Catamounts earned their biggest victory in school history. Germain Mopa Njila and T.J. Sorrentine hit consecutive 3-pointers in a 48-second span of overtime as Vermont upset Big East champion Syracuse 60-57 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

"When that went in, I thought I might burst," Brennan said of Sorrentine's long 3 from the top of the key. "I thought you might find me in pieces around the arena because there's no drug, nothing in the world that is that feeling. There's nothing that can make you feel like that except competition and going through a lot with your guys, especially ones you love."

I was actually at the game at the Centrum.  My friends & I had driven from Somerville to Worcester.  My dad's bar was in Worcester and stopped in before the game. The energy in that building was electric during that 2nd half & OT.  We were upper level behind the basket where Sorrentine made that shot. 

The funny thing was that was the first of two games that day.  Michigan State played after but the building was pretty lifeless and spent out after that first game.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2021, 09:23:42 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868

Mar 18, 2005

I was actually at the game at the Centrum.  My friends & I had driven from Somerville to Worcester.  My dad's bar was in Worcester and stopped in before the game. The energy in that building was electric during that 2nd half & OT.  We were upper level behind the basket where Sorrentine made that shot. 

The funny thing was that was the first of two games that day.  Michigan State played after but the building was pretty lifeless and spent out after that first game.

That is awesome, thanks for chiming in!

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2021, 09:57:56 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Portland since the days of Nick Van Exel have always been my second favorite team. Also the lead singer of one of my favorite bands (Built to Spill) has been known to rock Blazers hats so that sort of reaffirmed my choice as a teen.

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2021, 10:21:23 AM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1806
Not any longer.  I use to root for the Wizards/Bullets, had season tickets for 25 years.  Gave up the seats just before all hell broke loose.  I have no interest in them now other than I would like to see them change their name back to the Bullets.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2021, 10:30:13 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I live in Tennessee and use to keep up with the Grizzlies. 

But the Fox Sports RSN are not available anymore and all Espn Grizzly games are blacked out.

Hopefully this situation gets fixed. I cant believe that fox sports can make $ this way.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2021, 01:30:09 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Portland since the days of Nick Van Exel have always been my second favorite team. Also the lead singer of one of my favorite bands (Built to Spill) has been known to rock Blazers hats so that sort of reaffirmed my choice as a teen.

Yeh.  I've always had a soft spot for Portland, especially during the Drexler/Terry Porter years.  Pretty much any team from the West who can keep the Lakers from advancing is rootable forable in mybook.
Yup

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2021, 02:48:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Nope. Never have. Never will.

Since moving back to Florida, I do watch, or maybe I should say, I did watch the Magic a lot, but they blew up their team and I hate watching tanking teams tank, so not doing that anymore.

But though I did watch a bunch of Orlando games, they never became a team I liked, just something to watch on nights the Celtics aren't playing.