Author Topic: KD with yet another social media blunder  (Read 11002 times)

Re: KD with yet another social media blunder
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2021, 08:01:34 PM »

Offline bricone29

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
How is commenting on his skin color ok? There should be no double standards if we're to take this seriously.

^This

« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2021, 09:31:16 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
It’s not an insult until you start thinking about it and how he and other people use terms like white boy with the intent of having contempt towards white humans. It’s not fully his fault. This is what we’ve created (and not recently either) as it was never officially condemned in the 80s+. We accepted these minor slurs towards white people as a “reparations” of some sort (for lack of better words). Now that social justice has taken off to be an actual career, entered the workplace, being taught in schools, these comments that were normally shrugged off should also be looked at in more scrutiny if this paradigm is to be taken seriously.

wrong post, my apologies
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2021, 09:33:28 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
This board does not always look kindly on such remarks.

Truth can be uncomfortable.   Personally, I think the pale stuff is not much of an insult but it was definitely derogatory in intent by Durant.

Durant has the maturity of a 13 year old.  I mean burner accounts to argue with a fans.  This really does not change my opinion of him or Rapaport, I didn't like them before or now.   Be careful what you tweet, write.

Uncomfortable about me stating the truth ? Why should I "be careful" about stating it ?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 09:43:53 PM by tenn_smoothie »

« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2021, 09:34:59 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
I'm guessing Durant isn't going to see any punishment. If you're going to be awful to someone, just be awful to someone who's even more awful. It seems like everyone is sick of Rappaport now so no one cares what KD said to him.

As for what was said: words have no inherent meaning or significance, only the meaning and significance we give them. In our culture, white people and people of color are treated differently and so the idea of whiteness is going to have different significance and a different meaning than talking about skin color of a group that was marginalized based on the color of their skin.

Context, including historical context, does matter.

The insults about being pale aren’t really the point.

Rather, it’s that Durant, when reaching into his  Neanderthal brain, came out with the worst insult he could think of: being gay and engaging in homosexual activities.

The "pale" comment is not the only point, but it should be acknowledged for what it is.

« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2021, 09:46:56 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm guessing Durant isn't going to see any punishment. If you're going to be awful to someone, just be awful to someone who's even more awful. It seems like everyone is sick of Rappaport now so no one cares what KD said to him.

As for what was said: words have no inherent meaning or significance, only the meaning and significance we give them. In our culture, white people and people of color are treated differently and so the idea of whiteness is going to have different significance and a different meaning than talking about skin color of a group that was marginalized based on the color of their skin.

Rather, it’s that Durant, when reaching into his  Neanderthal brain, came out with the worst insult he could think of: being gay and engaging in homosexual activities.

The "pale" comment is not the only point, but it should be acknowledged for what it is.

Are you on board with cancel culture now?

And, why defend Leonard but condemn Durant?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2021, 10:30:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Are you on board with cancel culture now?

And, why defend Leonard but condemn Durant?
Interesting question.

« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2021, 01:09:25 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
In Durant’s defense - the English language is a little depraved when it comes to cursing and offensive words. He did his best attempt to insult and it was pathetic.
A truly “great” trash talker like Kobe knew how to do it in Serbian which is so rich on insults:

https://youtu.be/5_mbKd-aArE

« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2021, 08:32:35 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
The problem with a players-run league is the same as with an owners-run league: it depends on which players and which owners.

Right now Brooklyn is the epicenter. Kyrie and KD as the face of the league makes me want to find another sport. I find them simply insufferable. Harden isn't really helping, but I can live with debates about shooting too many stepback 3s. At least that's on-the-court stuff. Every time I watch Kyrie pontificate with the gravitas of a delusional teenager, or KD getting into Instagram spats, frankly, I could watch reality TV to get that level of entertainment. Hard pass.

Meanwhile, there are players that get less credit than they deserve. Dinnwiddie is one of my LinkedIn connections, because he's a smart savvy guy who's into crypto. But he's not an MVP candidate, so people barely know his name outside of dedicated fans. This isn't an indictment on the players in general, there are many in the league who are thoroughly underrated as "just athletes".

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, except that I really, really dislike the Nets these days.

You're touching on what is really an alarming problem with the league here. the problem isn't just that some of these guys are divas or jerks. It's that they get rewarded for being divas and jerks.

The league increasingly thrives on schoolyard/reality TV drama.

Kyrie hijacked an entire season here on the Boston Celtics. The media was swarming the whole time, feeding on Kyrie's drama and negativity. The league and its sponsors made millions on that drama.

Most infamous was the all-star game, where Kyrie and Durant were in a hallway, discussing the Knicks' two max slots. In plain view. At first I didn't believe they could be so absurd to be hashing out such a huge issue on camera in a hallway. It looked exactly like a scene you'd see on a WWE broadcast.

But it was apparently real. Not long after, Durant and Harden are in New York, and Brooklyn is getting star calls like they had 12 Michael Jordans on their roster. ESPN has daily articles documenting their drama. The TNT guys inevitably delve into it.

It is a league of heroes and heels. Right now Brooklyn are heels, but they serve a larger purpose. They grab headlines and eyeballs, and Adam Silver is laughing his way to the bank. Pencil them in for the Finals right now.

The NBA isn't about basketball, and hasn't been since the 1980's. It is a sad thing.

It really is a shame. This from the players , expansion, and the league treating the players like animals who C’s t control their emotions have ruined  an awesome game. The level snd amount of talent is amazing. The 80’s are often regarded as the glory days of the Nba. Imagine this talent with 7 less teams and a 7 team lottery back . Still that dastardly 3 point line ,though.