Author Topic: KD with yet another social media blunder  (Read 11000 times)

KD with yet another social media blunder
« on: March 30, 2021, 06:49:33 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2938918-michael-rapaport-shares-homophobic-misogynistic-dms-from-kevin-durant

Warning - some pretty graphic and offensive language in those images.

Will be interesting to see how the NBA and Brooklyn deal with this, especially given KD’s status as a star. Imo, this goes way beyond what Meyers Leonard said, so you would think there would be some significant repercussions for KD. That said, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a double-standard here given KD’s star status and them being the new superteam.

Re: KD with yet another social media blunder
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 07:08:43 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
i saw this on twitter and assumed it was fake, guess not

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 07:11:37 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I doubt the NBA will do much.  I'm predicting a slap on the wrist fine, especially since he didn't use a specific slur (that I saw).  Definitely both homophobic and misogynistic, but if Meyers Leonard didn't even lose a game check, I'm sure Durant won't either.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 07:18:18 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Rapaport v. Durant?

There are no winners here.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 07:28:25 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Is anyone surprised when KD shows to be a terrible person anymore?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 07:29:23 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Rapaport v. Durant?

There are no winners here.

True.  Rapaport is annoying and is desperate for attention.  Suing Barstool for defamation was just a waste of everybody's money. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 07:45:40 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I doubt the NBA will do much.  I'm predicting a slap on the wrist fine, especially since he didn't use a specific slur (that I saw).  Definitely both homophobic and misogynistic, but if Meyers Leonard didn't even lose a game check, I'm sure Durant won't either.

I mean he was essentially extremely homophobic with the insult that talked about how pale Rappaport was. Him and Meyers Leonard must have a Halo clan together or something on XBox Live

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 08:05:21 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I mean he was essentially extremely homophobic with the insult that talked about how pale Rappaport was. Him and Meyers Leonard must have a Halo clan together or something on XBox Live

Insults about being pale aren’t homophobic.  Potentially racist.  Some radio host got fired the other day for talking about the shades of black women’s skin, so perhaps there’s a double standard.

For me personally, I’m so pale I’m translucent.  In the winter I get compared to Powder.  And for me, I don’t care.  It’s part of my heritage I’m proud of.  It cracks me up that Durant thinks that’s a legitimate insult.  Maybe there’s hatred in it, but to me it’s not lame.  (So as a pale guy, pale jokes = funny, pale insults = lame).

But, some of the other language crosses a line for me.

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 08:07:05 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

Insults about being pale aren’t homophobic.  Potentially racist.  Some radio host got fired the other day for talking about the shades of black women’s skin, so perhaps there’s a double standard.

For me personally, I’m so pale I’m translucent.  In the winter I get compared to Powder.  And for me, I don’t care.  It’s part of my heritage I’m proud of.  It cracks me up that Durant thinks that’s a legitimate insult.  Maybe there’s hatred in it, but to me it’s not lame.  (So as a pale guy, pale jokes = funny, pale insults = lame).

Lol it wasn't the pale part I think people would have an issue with.  Go look at KD's comments

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2021, 08:10:34 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Lol it wasn't the pale part I think people would have an issue with.  Go look at KD's comments

Gotcha.  Misunderstood you.  Yeah, the rest of the messages were vulgar.

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2021, 08:11:07 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I mean, "[Edited]' might not be a specific slur, but it's pretty demeaning to gay people - especially since the word [edited]' was used in many of those messages. I mean, I don't take personal offense to it, but that is about a cringe as it gets.

The bigger problem - and I've always thought this - is getting this type of terminology out of the norm. I don't know if KD is actually homophobic (this just proves that he is ignorant), but men are way too comfortable using these types of insults to emasculate other men and that's really not cool.

Players had to stop using the term 'no homo' a few years back because they were starting to get threatened with fines. This seems to take that a step further...and it's certainly more graphic.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 08:27:55 PM by Roy H. »

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2021, 09:25:24 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Mandatory elimination of bias training for all players, otherwise rinse and repeat. Truth is the NBA doesn’t care about these things. It probably fills the news cycle of the thousands of sports talk shows on radio and TV.

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2021, 10:05:03 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
KD comes off as a low IQ guy with these insults....should be more clever with that Idiot Rapaport, who acts all nice, when in fact he's said much worse things on twitter.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2021, 10:07:14 PM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
Durant signed up for the NBA spotlight. Sports media is inherently toxic. Both these things are true.

To KD’s credit, these were personal DMs, unlike the Meyers Leonard incident which was public.

Rappaport used to be funny, and his whole thing has always been smack talking people. I’ve heard him use that same term KD used dozens of times on his podcast. He pokes and prods people and also publicly shames them as a shtick. Ntm lately he’s been making less and less sense on social media, trying to be weirdly moral after years of verbally dunking on people.

Tldr; This is stupid and doesn’t really matter.

Edit* accidental profanity- my bad.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 10:26:21 PM by AshyLarry »
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2021, 10:13:56 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
To KD’s credit, they were DMs, unlike the Meyers Leonard incident which was public.

I don’t think that this matters. Private bigots are really no better than public bigots.