Author Topic: Buyouts  (Read 20547 times)

Re: Buyouts
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2021, 11:32:42 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The buyout phenomenon is massively annoying and is emblematic of the fact that three cities — New York, Los Angeles, and Miami — are running huge advantages in an age where players have so much control over where they play.
Bought out players want to win titles.  The Cavs pretty consistently signed buy out players during the Lebron/Irving/Love years.  The simple reality is both teams in LA, the Nets, and the Heat are all very good teams with a shot at the title.
I do love that Miami, a team worse than us and on a 6 game losing streak, is a very good team with a shot at the title, but we are for some reason not
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2021, 11:41:01 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
The buyout phenomenon is massively annoying and is emblematic of the fact that three cities — New York, Los Angeles, and Miami — are running huge advantages in an age where players have so much control over where they play.
Bought out players want to win titles.  The Cavs pretty consistently signed buy out players during the Lebron/Irving/Love years.  The simple reality is both teams in LA, the Nets, and the Heat are all very good teams with a shot at the title.
I do love that Miami, a team worse than us and on a 6 game losing streak, is a very good team with a shot at the title, but we are for some reason not

Lol I figured it was a typo. The Heat definitely shouldn’t be attracting top talent. The LA’s and Nets though, I concede the point.

- LilRip

« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2021, 11:45:27 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Lol I figured it was a typo. The Heat definitely shouldn’t be attracting top talent. The LA’s and Nets though, I concede the point.

Miami has several selling points:

1.  A winning culture led by Riley and Spoelstra;

2.  No state income tax;

3.  Beautiful weather;

4.  Consistently rated as the "most attractive" city in the country, and also ranked #1 for nightclubs

Not every free agent wants to win a ring.  Some will settle for the playoffs and a whole lot of off-the-court entertainment.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2021, 11:57:53 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1375937862324129792

I'd be ecstatic if we got Al in the buyout market.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2021, 11:59:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

It'd be crazy if he got bought out. I'm not sure how much of his final year is guaranteed. Him on a min deal would be insane off the bench.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2021, 12:06:35 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

Miami has several selling points:

1.  A winning culture led by Riley and Spoelstra;

2.  No state income tax;

3.  Beautiful weather;

4.  Consistently rated as the "most attractive" city in the country, and also ranked #1 for nightclubs

Not every free agent wants to win a ring.  Some will settle for the playoffs and a whole lot of off-the-court entertainment.

Ehh, I see your point but that’s moving the goal posts. And I quote: “Bought out players want to win titles... and the Heat are all very good teams with a shot at the title.”

Nothing about weather, tax, or off-court entertainment
- LilRip

« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2021, 12:44:40 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

It'd be crazy if he got bought out. I'm not sure how much of his final year is guaranteed. Him on a min deal would be insane off the bench.
He's guaranteed for 14.5 million in his final year. With how OKC look to suck for the next few years I don't think that would be a huge issue.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2021, 12:58:39 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

He's guaranteed for 14.5 million in his final year. With how OKC look to suck for the next few years I don't think that would be a huge issue.

Not a big issue how?

If he gave $6 million back in a buyout, he would still count as $9 million per year in dead money for the next six seasons.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2021, 09:46:59 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
For me the only spot is the one Danny naimed before : the 4/3 stretch. So an Otto Porter who would take the minutes of Semi and some of Grant I would be 100% OK. Maybe Jabari also, but with his defense not sure he is more playable thant Ojeleye in PO.

So for me no need for Drummond,we have to see what Timelord can really give us, not mentionning we have already 5 bigs : 2 guys to fight for option 1 and 3 guys who compete for option 3. I guess Drummond would leave for sure unless Fournier that summer. And no need for a PG, with Fournier Sart can replace more at PG and as for Timelord we have to see what Payton is really made of.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 10:19:21 AM by Rikibellevie »

« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2021, 10:09:40 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Was Otto bought out?
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2021, 10:14:14 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Was Otto bought out?

I don’t think so. It seems like everybody assumes he will be, but so far there have been no reported discussions with Orlando.

Porter has been my #1 target, but Orlando may want to keep him in a reduced contract going forward.

« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2021, 10:49:18 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Who are we cutting if we sign a buyout player?  Since Tacko and Waters are on 2 way contracts I don’t believe waiving either one will open a 15 man roster spot.

« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2021, 10:51:49 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Who are we cutting if we sign a buyout player?  Since Tacko and Waters are on 2 way contracts I don’t believe waiving either one will open a 15 man roster spot.

Speculation in the media was Green Kornet.

« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2021, 10:58:54 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
It is hard for me to see clearly how the Celtics are going to fix anything or balance their roster better with what is likely to be available via buyouts.  I see the ideal core line up as follows:

Kemba, Brown, Tatum, PF, Center

with a bench now that would include Fournier, Smart, Pritchard, Langford, Nesmith, and whatever bigs (PF, C) that don't start.

For Center, I am fine to start either Thompson or RWilliams, either can be part of the core whether they start or not.  I expect similar minutes.  I believe that Drummond would be an improvement over either of these and would help.  It would have to take minutes away from one of Thompson or RWilliams but if it made the team better, so be it.  I am not so sure that Dieng helps much.

The big issue remains PF.  We came out of the trades actually worse off if you consider that Theis was playing a lot of minutes at PF.  If nothing changes, we can approach this one of two ways, play one of Wagner, Ojeleye, or GWilliams as a starter/core rotation PF or we can play without a PF.  I don't think any of the PF options are good enough to play regular rotation minutes so I don't see that.  We could do the PF by committee approach and share the minutes based on match ups but that still isn't great either.  I don't think getting Otto Porter helps much with this as he is more wing than PF and we already have options for that if we want to go that route.  Kelly Olynyk is not really a starting caliber PF either.

That leaves us to play without a PF, like we did all last season.  To me, that means inserting either Smart or Fournier into the starting/core line up.  It will likely be Smart as he is the most versatile and Fournier still needs to acclimate which is easier to do coming off the bench (but still seeing starter minutes).  Not ideal to me but in terms of buyouts, I don't see any viable options to address this issue.  Fournier and Smart are both much better options than say Porter.  Porter's role would be what we would otherwise get from some combination of Langford, Nesmith and say Ojeleye.  Doesn't seem worth it to even bother with Porter.

« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2021, 11:04:33 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Not a big issue how?

If he gave $6 million back in a buyout, he would still count as $9 million per year in dead money for the next six seasons.

Yeah I just can't see him giving up that money or OKC swallowing the dead cap hit.