Author Topic: Buyouts  (Read 20540 times)

Re: Buyouts
« Reply #135 on: April 09, 2021, 08:09:43 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Frankly, the way the Celtics have played the last 6 weeks, I can’t see why any player who has an offer from multiple teams would come to Boston.  That leaves us with the dregs.

« Reply #136 on: April 09, 2021, 08:21:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Bracing myself for a big nothing burger to happen.   

The following may not be up to the minute.

Point Guards:

The Pelicans opted for an offense-first player when they signed Thomas, but a team in need of a defensive point guard could look to Shaquille Harrison, who was waived in February by Utah.

Quinn Cook and Jalen Lecque are among the guards who were on NBA rosters for much of this season before being released, while Jeremy Lin and Gary Payton II are among those whose play in the G League bubble in the winter may have boosted their stock a little.

Brandon Knight is seeking an NBA comeback and reportedly worked out recently for the Bucks. Shabazz Napier, Emmanuel Mudiay, Yogi Ferrell, and Tim Frazier are among the other experienced options available.
Wings:

Veterans like J.R. Smith, Dion Waiters, Allen Crabbe, Jamal Crawford, Troy Daniels, Kyle Korver, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Lance Stephenson, Treveon Graham, and Courtney Lee haven’t been on an NBA roster since the season began. If they’re healthy and in game shape, they could be intriguing depth options.

However, teams may look first as players who have been in the NBA more recently. That list includes vets like Austin Rivers, Ben McLemore, Iman Shumpert, Glenn Robinson III, and Sindarius Thornwell, as well as young players such as DaQuan Jeffries, Justin Jackson, and Terrance Ferguson. McLemore, Jeffries, and Jackson remain on waivers, so they’ll need to go unclaimed this week to formally reach free agency.

Teams in need of instant offense on the bench may take a look at Jabari Parker or Allonzo Trier, while clubs seeking a defensive stopper could target Andre Roberson.
Big Men:

It’s a bit surprising that Dewayne Dedmon hasn’t been on an NBA roster since 2020 — if he’s healthy and in shape, he should draw some interest from teams in need of a backup center. John Henson, Anthony Tolliver, Noah Vonleh, Vincent Poirier, and Tyler Zeller are among the other options for clubs seeking veteran depth.

The big man market is, frankly, more intriguing for non-playoff teams looking to take a shot on a younger player. Thon Maker, Mfiondu Kabengele, Justin Patton (once he clears waivers), Skal Labissiere, Anzejs Pasecniks, Donta Hall, T.J. Leaf, Ray Spalding, Henry Ellenson, and Omari Spellman are among the many available 25-and-under players who have some NBA experience.

There are few guys who could be upgrades over the Grant/Semi Types.
No. No there isn't. That list is chock full of absolute hot garbage. For all his faults, Grant and Semi are still much better players than any of those guys.

I think that Jabari Parker would be a useful piece.  He's a legitimate NBA scorer.  His defense is terrible, but he adds more than some guys on our roster.  I'm surprised that nobody has taken a flyer on Austin Rivers.  The Bucks could go back there, I suppose, but they landed on Teague.

I think that we should have been in on Boogie and Dieng.  Either are perfectly fine as a legit #2 center.  I'd take either over Thompson, let alone Wagner.
Disagree on Parker. This team needs defense at the 4 not more offense. Parker is a turnstile on defense.

Boogie wasn't going to ever be given a contract here. Ainge has had multiple chances to go after him and hasn't. He isn't ever coming to Boston.

Dieng, yes, like him better than either Wagner or Kornet.

« Reply #137 on: April 09, 2021, 10:18:49 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Jabari would be useful when we have those scoring droughts. I think he’d be worth a look.

« Reply #138 on: April 10, 2021, 12:02:12 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Bracing myself for a big nothing burger to happen.   

The following may not be up to the minute.

Point Guards:

The Pelicans opted for an offense-first player when they signed Thomas, but a team in need of a defensive point guard could look to Shaquille Harrison, who was waived in February by Utah.

Quinn Cook and Jalen Lecque are among the guards who were on NBA rosters for much of this season before being released, while Jeremy Lin and Gary Payton II are among those whose play in the G League bubble in the winter may have boosted their stock a little.

Brandon Knight is seeking an NBA comeback and reportedly worked out recently for the Bucks. Shabazz Napier, Emmanuel Mudiay, Yogi Ferrell, and Tim Frazier are among the other experienced options available.
Wings:

Veterans like J.R. Smith, Dion Waiters, Allen Crabbe, Jamal Crawford, Troy Daniels, Kyle Korver, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Lance Stephenson, Treveon Graham, and Courtney Lee haven’t been on an NBA roster since the season began. If they’re healthy and in game shape, they could be intriguing depth options.

However, teams may look first as players who have been in the NBA more recently. That list includes vets like Austin Rivers, Ben McLemore, Iman Shumpert, Glenn Robinson III, and Sindarius Thornwell, as well as young players such as DaQuan Jeffries, Justin Jackson, and Terrance Ferguson. McLemore, Jeffries, and Jackson remain on waivers, so they’ll need to go unclaimed this week to formally reach free agency.

Teams in need of instant offense on the bench may take a look at Jabari Parker or Allonzo Trier, while clubs seeking a defensive stopper could target Andre Roberson.
Big Men:

It’s a bit surprising that Dewayne Dedmon hasn’t been on an NBA roster since 2020 — if he’s healthy and in shape, he should draw some interest from teams in need of a backup center. John Henson, Anthony Tolliver, Noah Vonleh, Vincent Poirier, and Tyler Zeller are among the other options for clubs seeking veteran depth.

The big man market is, frankly, more intriguing for non-playoff teams looking to take a shot on a younger player. Thon Maker, Mfiondu Kabengele, Justin Patton (once he clears waivers), Skal Labissiere, Anzejs Pasecniks, Donta Hall, T.J. Leaf, Ray Spalding, Henry Ellenson, and Omari Spellman are among the many available 25-and-under players who have some NBA experience.

There are few guys who could be upgrades over the Grant/Semi Types.
No. No there isn't. That list is chock full of absolute hot garbage. For all his faults, Grant and Semi are still much better players than any of those guys.

I think that Jabari Parker would be a useful piece.  He's a legitimate NBA scorer.  His defense is terrible, but he adds more than some guys on our roster.  I'm surprised that nobody has taken a flyer on Austin Rivers.  The Bucks could go back there, I suppose, but they landed on Teague.

I think that we should have been in on Boogie and Dieng.  Either are perfectly fine as a legit #2 center.  I'd take either over Thompson, let alone Wagner.
Disagree on Parker. This team needs defense at the 4 not more offense. Parker is a turnstile on defense.

Boogie wasn't going to ever be given a contract here. Ainge has had multiple chances to go after him and hasn't. He isn't ever coming to Boston.

Dieng, yes, like him better than either Wagner or Kornet.
It was widely reported that Boston was Boogie's #2 choice when he signed with Golden State.

You can find plenty of articles like this one on that topic.

https://thespun.com/news/demarcus-cousins-celtics-warriors
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip