Author Topic: Salary cap situation and FAQs  (Read 30154 times)

Re: Questions about some of our contracts
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2007, 02:04:33 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
But Roy, if Posey chooses the player's option, does that mean it will become a two year contract and it's still the MLE from last year? Or will we have to use next year's MLE on him and Tony Allen (if he declines the qualifying offer)?

If Posey picks up his option, it doesn't count against next season's MLE or any other exception; it's a valid contract signed under this year's MLE.  As for Tony Allen, we wouldn't have to use the MLE on him.  If we sign him to an extension, the extension would be using his Bird rights.  If he signs his qualifying offer, that doesn't count against the MLE, either.  If we match another teams offer sheet, that once again doesn't count against our MLE.

That takes a load off my mind! So please excuse me for this question, but if Posey chooses to stay and Tony takes the qualifying offer or we match any other offer, we would still have the full MLE? So then there's nothing to worry about.

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2007, 02:08:38 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Right.  We would have to use part of the MLE or another exception (LLE, veteran's minimum) if we wanted to bring House or Pollard back (since their contracts don't have reported options), but we won't need one should Posey exercise his option.  If Posey opts out of his contract, though, we'd have to commit the MLE to resigning him.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2007, 02:09:20 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Rondo -  I think the team option would be an offer.  Rajon doesn't have to take it if he thinks he can make more money on the open market (or if he doesn't like it here, he, he).

That is incorrect.  Players have no say in team options, just as teams have no say in player options.  There is such a thing as a mutual option, where either team can decline.

So that means we will use the team option for the next two years on Rondo in order to let him play for cheap, and he will have no say?

Guess so.  It's a contract like any other.  He must play.  If Rondo has a good season, picking up the option will be a no-brainer.  Thanks for clarifying, Roy.

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2007, 02:16:09 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Green 18!
Thank you very much, Roy. That clearly deserves a TP!

Re: Salary cap situation and FAQs
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2007, 04:03:50 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Green 18!
If Tony Allen accepts the qualifying offer instead of an extension, is he a unrestricted free agent after 08-09?

can anyone explain the veteran minimum?
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2007, 05:03:00 PM »

Offline Petro

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 6
I know the Celts used up thier MLE with Pollard, House and Posey.But if they wanted to get a let's say Gary Payton would the Veteran Min apply?

Re: can anyone explain the veteran minimum?
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2007, 05:04:56 PM »

Offline trey

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 4
I know the Celts used up thier MLE with Pollard, House and Posey.But if they wanted to get a let's say Gary Payton would the Veteran Min apply?

if they use the veteran minimum, the league pays for a small part, and it doesn't cut into the mle or lle. so yes we could sign someone else with the vet min. but please no gary payton.

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2007, 05:12:55 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
I think the General Public has a very flawed view of the "veteran minimum" It isnt like the MLE or the LLE. Its not an exception. Its not something that we use and cant use again. Its just the minimum your allowed to pay a player based on how many years he's been in the league.

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2007, 05:17:36 PM »

Offline Cooldude5t5

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 36
I know it doesn't count against the cap. I'm wondering how many years a player has to be in the league before they can sign for the vet min? Is it after their rookie deal?

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2007, 05:30:12 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I think the General Public has a very flawed view of the "veteran minimum" It isnt like the MLE or the LLE. Its not an exception. Its not something that we use and cant use again. Its just the minimum your allowed to pay a player based on how many years he's been in the league.

It is an exception... a salary cap exception.

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2007, 05:40:44 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
Payton wouldn't be worth the veteran minimum.  Or the NBA rookie minimum for that matter.

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2007, 05:42:01 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
For anybody who has similar questions, please check the FAQ at the top of the Celtics Talk forum.  This is explained there.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2007, 05:47:06 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
It really is an exception and also the name for a minimum salary. When a team is over the salary cap they have three exceptions to add to their team:

The MLE - 5.3m I think this season. Can be split as many as ways as the team wants.
The LLE - Bi-annual 1.8m exception
The veterans minimum - a team over the salary cap can add as many players as they want at the minimum salary for that players level of experience. It does count against the cap. It does not come out of the MLE or LLE, it is completely seperate.

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2007, 06:33:13 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
So your telling me you cant sign anyone if you dont use one of those 3 exceptions? No. The minimum is just the minimum and you can sign anyone willing to take it. It is not an exception.

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2007, 06:41:11 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
So your telling me you cant sign anyone if you dont use one of those 3 exceptions? No. The minimum is just the minimum and you can sign anyone willing to take it. It is not an exception.

IF you are over the salary cap there is only three ways to sign someone. They are the three ways.

If you are under the cap, you can do whatever you want. The veterans minimum is a minimum contract for any veteran. But for teams over the salary cap, it is an exception which allows them to sign further players and take on further salary.

Two definitions - minimum allowable contract for years served - and exception for teams over the cap to continue signing players.