Poll

Who you got at #14? (players are listed in random order)

Tyrell Terry
13 (24.5%)
Patrick Williams
6 (11.3%)
Precious Achiuwa
4 (7.5%)
R.J. Hampton
4 (7.5%)
Aleksej Pokusevski
3 (5.7%)
Saddiq Bey
5 (9.4%)
Jalen Smith
4 (7.5%)
Aaron Nesmith
8 (15.1%)
Kira Lewis Jr.
3 (5.7%)
Cole Anthony
2 (3.8%)
other (please name below and I'll include him in the poll)
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Who You Got with the 14th Pick? (Poll added)  (Read 118271 times)

Re: Who You Got with the 14th Pick?
« Reply #180 on: September 02, 2020, 04:02:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Question about possible trade with Dallas.

How many of you draft niks have two or more players you would tolerate or even be happy about at 14.

For no good reason other than Celtics fit, I have become intolerant of Nesmith at that pick (with one caveat which is if Hayward is gone by choice or trade...but this post assumes we keep Hayward...so in that case no Nesmith).

So my wanted are Vassell or Patrick Williams and my tolerated/happy about are S. Bey or Achiuwa.
But there's a chance all 4 of them are gone before 14, which brings me to the point of this thread.

If your guy/s are not their at 14, would you trade 14 and 47 for 18 and 31?  I would.

At 18 take Maxey or Kira Lewis or Tyler Terry...or Hampton...one would be there.
Then there is 26, 30 and 31.  31 is a big time improvement over 47 in this draft (and most).  Back to back picks is just really a lot of fun too..hehe.

I would think Dallas would do this as Cuban surely has a guy he'd want at 14.  Nesmith for example.

1. Why no to Nesmith as opposed to the others? We need elite shooting off bench. Elite he is.
2. If all are gone at 14, could be because someone we really like has slid down to 14 (e.g. Halliburton or Okoro).
3. I grade Kira Lewis and Hampton above Maxey or Terry.

« Reply #181 on: September 02, 2020, 04:03:13 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

« Reply #182 on: September 02, 2020, 04:14:31 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I'm probably a bit higher on Cole Anthony than everyone else on here. I think his skill set will translate much better than it did in college, where the spacing was awful and perimeter offense (other than Cole Anthony) was severely lacking. I think Anthony has the talent to be a scorer in the NBA, he just needs some guidance to help him put it all together, and I believe Brad is the perfect coach for that.

You are not the only one. I think Anthony is a top 5 talent in this draft. We'd be lucky to get a player like that at 14. I agree that the Celtics and CBS might be the perfect system for him to blossom in.

« Reply #183 on: September 02, 2020, 05:15:46 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Question about possible trade with Dallas.

How many of you draft niks have two or more players you would tolerate or even be happy about at 14.

For no good reason other than Celtics fit, I have become intolerant of Nesmith at that pick (with one caveat which is if Hayward is gone by choice or trade...but this post assumes we keep Hayward...so in that case no Nesmith).

So my wanted are Vassell or Patrick Williams and my tolerated/happy about are S. Bey or Achiuwa.
But there's a chance all 4 of them are gone before 14, which brings me to the point of this thread.

If your guy/s are not their at 14, would you trade 14 and 47 for 18 and 31?  I would.

At 18 take Maxey or Kira Lewis or Tyler Terry...or Hampton...one would be there.
Then there is 26, 30 and 31.  31 is a big time improvement over 47 in this draft (and most).  Back to back picks is just really a lot of fun too..hehe.

I would think Dallas would do this as Cuban surely has a guy he'd want at 14.  Nesmith for example.

1. Why no to Nesmith as opposed to the others? We need elite shooting off bench. Elite he is.
2. If all are gone at 14, could be because someone we really like has slid down to 14 (e.g. Halliburton or Okoro).
3. I grade Kira Lewis and Hampton above Maxey or Terry.

1.  Size (nitpicking)We are so wing rich and I'd like to see Romeo develop here.  I think Bey can play a lot at PF, and down the road when Hayward is gone...can be part of a bigger starting lineup with the J's than the J's plus Nesmith.  Also, defense and intensity, intangibles IQ are all things brought up with Bey.  Basically I like Bey a lot as fitting with the C's.  Not a knock on Nesmith...but he's just a bit smaller and cuts straight into Romeo time.  Achiuwa I love for his size.  Hoping for Rodman plus offense.  And Vassell/Williams are faves...Williams for size and PF ability, and Vassell for the talent/quality/defense.
2.  If halliburton or Okoro or Hayes slide to us...fantastic! (cancel deal with Dallas).
3.  I'll trust Danny on the PG amongst all of them.  I like Lewis too...but I don't know who's going to be best among them.

« Reply #184 on: September 02, 2020, 06:50:31 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'm probably a bit higher on Cole Anthony than everyone else on here. I think his skill set will translate much better than it did in college, where the spacing was awful and perimeter offense (other than Cole Anthony) was severely lacking. I think Anthony has the talent to be a scorer in the NBA, he just needs some guidance to help him put it all together, and I believe Brad is the perfect coach for that.
Anthony terrifies me to be honest. Inefficient, worse passing version of Dennis Smith JR is all I can see when I watch him
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #185 on: September 02, 2020, 07:35:07 PM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
Anthony terrifies me to be honest. Inefficient, worse passing version of Dennis Smith JR is all I can see when I watch him

He’s literally a small JT in my eyes. He just seems like a player who can get you buckets.

« Reply #186 on: September 02, 2020, 07:37:26 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

He’s literally a small JT in my eyes. He just seems like a player who can get you buckets.

Jason Tatum? Really?

« Reply #187 on: September 02, 2020, 07:43:01 PM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15

Jason Tatum? Really?

As far as creating his own offense, yes. He even has a side step 3

« Reply #188 on: September 02, 2020, 07:57:03 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Jason Tatum? Really?

As far as creating his own offense, yes. He even has a side step 3

Cole Anthony looks more Carsen Edwards than Jayson Tatum to me.

« Reply #189 on: September 02, 2020, 08:48:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I don't see this at all. Terrible shot-selection, abysmal assist:turnover ratio and he's already had injury concerns. No interest at all. I don't see how he's better than Kira Lewis in any regard

« Reply #190 on: September 02, 2020, 09:03:48 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

I don't see this at all. Terrible shot-selection, abysmal assist:turnover ratio and he's already had injury concerns. No interest at all. I don't see how he's better than Kira Lewis in any regard

I gotta disagree with you, gouki. Injuries might be something to look at, but the other things you listed can easily be explained by the team he was on, and him trying to create offense for one of the worst offensive teams at UNC in a long time. This screams a situation similar to Jaylen Brown.

« Reply #191 on: September 02, 2020, 09:14:24 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I gotta disagree with you, gouki. Injuries might be something to look at, but the other things you listed can easily be explained by the team he was on, and him trying to create offense for one of the worst offensive teams at UNC in a long time. This screams a situation similar to Jaylen Brown.
Eh, I was just thoroughly unimpressed every time I watched him. Time will tell, but I really hope he doesn't wear green

« Reply #192 on: September 03, 2020, 02:03:41 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I initially liked Nesmith...but his defense is on the soft side.  1 on 1 D is pretty unreliable

This could be a coaching issue or he may lack toughness/motor Celtics usually like from their players

Same could be said for Patrick Williams.  Kind of stands around on both ends of the court.  Doesn't look like has strong bbIQ.  Ceiling looks closer to OG anunoby than Leonard lite

Achiuwa plays a little out of control, but his toughness/motor is very good. Really goes after rebounds. Blocks jump shooters.   Has a decent looking 3 point shot.  Ok passer and ball handler but not precise.  Overall could workout nicely in the Celts system. Another pick and roll/high pick and screen guy (for Tatum, Walker, Brown)  that can also present problems as a rim protector/rebounder.   

14. Achiuwa (realistically. may need to trade up using the other pick(s))
26. trade for future 1st
30. Malcolm Cazalon (international prospect - draft and stash)
46. Corey Kispert
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 02:25:00 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #193 on: September 04, 2020, 07:34:22 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Cole Anthony

« Reply #194 on: September 07, 2020, 12:24:18 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Whats funny is that you might as well be describing predraft Jayson Tatum.