Author Topic: J. Okafor - Merged Thread  (Read 43130 times)

Re: 76ers Pick Up Rookie Scale Options On Everyone But Jahlil Okafor
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2017, 02:08:17 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I see a team like NJ or ATL as a more likely destination for Okafor. They both need young talent and can afford to take a flier on someone who was drafted with a high pick but might need a change of scenery. Also they aren't looking to contend right away so picking up the 7m option doesn't hurt their short term cap/luxury tax situation too much. Not sure of their cap situations but they might be able to just take on the salary creating a trade exception that might be useful in a future trade.  Also a second round pick from bottom feeding teams is better than one of the Celtic's 2nd round picks.

« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2017, 02:13:28 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I really, really, really, wish we could take a flier on Okafor. I'm not convinced he's a finished product. Far from it. He's always actually been an underrated passer. His post moves require so much attention, but his scoring also revolves around his confidence. Which was pretty much shattered during his time with the 76ers.

He got into a few bar fights, diminished role, inconsistent minutes, and just the overall lack of vote of confidence from the front office and GM.

I mean, this guy desperately needs a new environment. With a culture that is self prevalent on team continuity and trust, Okafor could definitely thrive, and even someone like Stevens could certainly make Okafor fit.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2017, 02:31:27 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
FWIW:  I would be interested in taking a flyer on Okafor, for the right price.

I think it's still way too early to completely give up on him.   He has size, wingspan and skills.  He didn't win that NCAA title by being a lousy basketball player.   I just think he has always been a total square peg since being picked by Philly for their round hole.   I think in the right environment and system he could be coached to be a good NBA player.

That said, due to the expiring nature of his contract and the risk that he cannot be salvaged. the price would have to be very reasonable.   Philly would be crazy to expect a top-half 1st round pick here.

I agree.  I'm not a fan of his game, but for something like a second rounder or two... why not take a flyer on him? We need depth at C anyway, worst case scenario is we pay him $5 million this year to sit on the bench (or at home if he pulls a Keith Bogans).  I wouldn't be a fan of cutting or trading someone to bring him in, but with the DPE, why not?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2017, 03:22:51 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I see a team like NJ or ATL as a more likely destination for Okafor. They both need young talent and can afford to take a flier on someone who was drafted with a high pick but might need a change of scenery. Also they aren't looking to contend right away so picking up the 7m option doesn't hurt their short term cap/luxury tax situation too much. Not sure of their cap situations but they might be able to just take on the salary creating a trade exception that might be useful in a future trade.  Also a second round pick from bottom feeding teams is better than one of the Celtic's 2nd round picks.

I agree with your point but there is no NJ.

« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2017, 03:25:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I can't help wonder if behind the scene Okafor is a problem. Not so much that he causes drama but more like his work ethic is bad, he is slow to learn, he gives little extra effort, not very coachable. That type of stuff.

He has the measurables and a good low post game but if he can't learn or won't work on his defensive skills and outside offensive game, he just isn't worth wasting time on. Sure the requisite response is Stevens will get more out of him than the coaching staff in Philly is. But some players you just can't get through to, no matter who is coaching them. Maybe Okafor is one of those guys and the league's GMs know this.

« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2017, 04:02:22 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I can't help wonder if behind the scene Okafor is a problem. Not so much that he causes drama but more like his work ethic is bad, he is slow to learn, he gives little extra effort, not very coachable. That type of stuff.

He has the measurables and a good low post game but if he can't learn or won't work on his defensive skills and outside offensive game, he just isn't worth wasting time on. Sure the requisite response is Stevens will get more out of him than the coaching staff in Philly is. But some players you just can't get through to, no matter who is coaching them. Maybe Okafor is one of those guys and the league's GMs know this.

My bigger concern is injury.  In March 2016, he had a procedure with a six-week recovery time:

http://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/philadelphia-sixers/jahlil-okafor-has-successful-surgery-right-knee?amp

Despite that six-week recovery time, and positive updates all along the way, he missed all of the 2016 preseason seven months later:

https://www.libertyballers.com/2016/10/15/13279644/jahlil-okafor-knee-surgery-meniscus-repair-bryan-colangelo-accountability

And then he had surgery again in March 2017, having reportedly dealt with knee issues all season as a result of the prior surgery:

https://www.nba.com/amp/league/article/2017/03/31/sixers-shutting-down-jahlil-okafor-and-robert-covington

Especially with all the other questionable injury info coming out of Philly (Simmons, Embiid, Fultz, even back to Andrew Bynum and Jrue Holiday), it really seems to me there is more likely to be a somewhat significant injury that they are keeping under wraps.

« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2017, 04:07:54 PM »

Offline jbp126

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51

It’s definitely possible poor work ethic and attitude have contributed to his lack of development in Philly but I think a change of scenery could help remedy those issues. In addition to Stevens, we also have an established locker room that includes several former Duke players. His low post scoring could be a valuable weapon off the bench. I’m very aware of his inability to rebound, slow feet, and bad defensive instincts/awareness but those could be worked on and he has undeniable size and offensive skills that have been underutilized thus far.

« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2017, 04:18:33 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

It’s definitely possible poor work ethic and attitude have contributed to his lack of development in Philly but I think a change of scenery could help remedy those issues. In addition to Stevens, we also have an established locker room that includes several former Duke players. His low post scoring could be a valuable weapon off the bench. I’m very aware of his inability to rebound, slow feet, and bad defensive instincts/awareness but those could be worked on and he has undeniable size and offensive skills that have been underutilized thus far.
people keep saying these things about Okafor, but he has played in 1 game this year.  It is most likely the healthiest he has been in the pros.  He played 22 minutes, scored 10 points (4 of 7 and 2 of 4 from the line), grabbed 9 rebounds (4 offensive), blocked 2 shots with 2 turnovers and 4 fouls.  He obviously isn't going to do that every night, but I think he is much closer to that type of player than a guy that doesn't belong in the league.  He just needs a new team that will actually commit to him and let him grow as a player.  I have no idea if that is Boston, though I wouldn't mind taking the flyer on him, but he absolutely needs a change of scenery.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2017, 04:20:51 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Now it’s official — Sixers have declined Okafor’s option, making him DPE eligible.  Recall that the Celtics got a second-rounder 3 drafts away for Austin Rivers, who was also a declined 4th-year option player, and you should see the approximate value.  (That second-rounder became Jabari Bird, so it wasn’t completely worthless we hope).

« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2017, 04:21:24 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

I agree with your point but there is no NJ.
sorry showing my age there, Brooklyn 😀

« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2017, 04:23:50 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Guy has skills..now is it his attitude or something else is why he's not playing?? Granted he's not a star in the making but he's better than what Chicago or Atlanta got lol
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2017, 04:25:28 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I would like to see a big man added with the DPE but not sure Okafor is that guy, then again not much out there.

« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2017, 04:27:53 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
His value has diminished to a Monroe, (MIL) if you will. He definitely doesn't fit the description of a modern NBA PF, but why does everyone think that we have to be the Warriors to beat the Warriors? Just because their strategy worked for a few years doesn't mean that it can't be beaten with a different strategy.

He may be the best player we could get with the injured player reward thingy..

If there are no underlying character issues, I might at least kick the tires on a trade for him.

Kid has talent, just not what the game wants right now.

Doesn't mean he can't adapt/ play a role in some form in the future.

I know, I sound like a therapist that tells you something you already know ;)
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2017, 04:46:21 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

I dunno.  He apparently put in the work to lose a lot of weight this last summer and per an interview seemingly came to camp ready to do whatever was needed -- though seemingly pretty realistic that he wasn't a long term fit with the Sixer's org.

Sure enough, he's played a grand total of just 22.1 minutes this season.

It's always difficult to 'read between the lines' with these situations.   Evan Turner had all kinds of bad vibes attached to his rep by the time he got here, but ended up being a solid teammate (though he remained a thoroughly mediocre player).
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2017, 05:07:27 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
FWIW:  I would be interested in taking a flyer on Okafor, for the right price.

I think it's still way too early to completely give up on him.   He has size, wingspan and skills.  He didn't win that NCAA title by being a lousy basketball player.   I just think he has always been a total square peg since being picked by Philly for their round hole.   I think in the right environment and system he could be coached to be a good NBA player.

That said, due to the expiring nature of his contract and the risk that he cannot be salvaged. the price would have to be very reasonable.   Philly would be crazy to expect a top-half 1st round pick here.

I agree.  I'm not a fan of his game, but for something like a second rounder or two... why not take a flyer on him? We need depth at C anyway, worst case scenario is we pay him $5 million this year to sit on the bench (or at home if he pulls a Keith Bogans).  I wouldn't be a fan of cutting or trading someone to bring him in, but with the DPE, why not?
while i understand your points, i am still put off by his contract. if, as you say, he sits on the bench this year, then why pay him $5,000,000? if, as many people hope, he develops into a real player, then his salary demand will jump significantly and he will test the free agent market.

would the celtics be willing to pay for that?

he looks to be gone after this year in either scenario. so why get him to begin with?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva