Author Topic: How do the NBA salary cap rules really work?  (Read 90987 times)

Re: How do the NBA salary cap rules really work?
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2023, 02:23:36 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Random question:  if a team signs a guy to a 10-day contract, but then wants to open a roster spot, can they immediately waive the 10-day player?  Or is he on the roster for 10 days no matter what?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2023, 02:29:44 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Random question:  if a team signs a guy to a 10-day contract, but then wants to open a roster spot, can they immediately waive the 10-day player?  Or is he on the roster for 10 days no matter what?

The salary is guaranteed for 10 days, but he can be waived.  It’s pretty rude to do tho (the player might have turned down a different team) so there would need to be a reason beyond “we decided we didn’t really need you”.

« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2023, 02:32:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

The salary is guaranteed for 10 days, but he can be waived.  It’s pretty rude to do tho (the player might have turned down a different team) so there would need to be a reason beyond “we decided we didn’t really need you”.

Thanks.  I'm trying to figure out why the Celtics haven't signed anybody to a 10-day contract with the open roster spot.  If it would take up the 15th spot on the roster for 10 days, I could see that as a reason, but it doesn't sound like it's an impediment.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2023, 02:50:41 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Thanks.  I'm trying to figure out why the Celtics haven't signed anybody to a 10-day contract with the open roster spot.  If it would take up the 15th spot on the roster for 10 days, I could see that as a reason, but it doesn't sound like it's an impediment.

It’s for roster flexibility, so that if a trade option opens up that requires an empty roster spot they don’t have to cut someone, including a 10-day.  If they need bodies in the next couple of weeks until the deadline (and it seems they might after yesterday’s game), they’ll call up Kabengele and Davison.

« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2023, 06:04:29 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Maybe because they don't need anyone right now.   If they have a list of players they have they think would be useful if there are certain injuries, why sign them now when they can only give them two 10 day contracts?

« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2023, 06:15:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Maybe because they don't need anyone right now.   If they have a list of players they have they think would be useful if there are certain injuries, why sign them now when they can only give them two 10 day contracts?

What's wrong with two 10-day contracts?  That would bring us right up to the trade deadline.

« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2023, 08:26:13 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

What's wrong with two 10-day contracts?  That would bring us right up to the trade deadline.

What I mean is they don't want to use a 10 day contract on a player when they don't need them.  Save it for that player when they do need them.   

Do they really just need a seat filler for 10 days?

« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2023, 08:30:49 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

What I mean is they don't want to use a 10 day contract on a player when they don't need them.  Save it for that player when they do need them.   

With as many injuries as we had last game, and with a back to back coming up, I think that we do need some guys. 

« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2023, 08:34:10 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

With as many injuries as we had last game, and with a back to back coming up, I think that we do need some guys.

We can still only dress 13, and I’d rather call up Kabengele and Davison for a short stretch since they’ve actually practiced with the team than any random 10-day.

« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2023, 08:42:04 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

We can still only dress 13, and I’d rather call up Kabengele and Davison for a short stretch since they’ve actually practiced with the team than any random 10-day.

Neither is a wing, and neither is an NBA player right now. 

« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2023, 08:58:37 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!

Neither is a wing

Fried Chicken Wing

or Turkey Wings

« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2023, 09:12:21 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

We’re not going to get an NBA wing on a 10-day, so I’m not sure why that matters.

« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2023, 09:19:56 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

We’re not going to get an NBA wing on a 10-day, so I’m not sure why that matters.

Eh.  There are guys out there now better than Jackson, and there are bigs better than Kabengele.

« Reply #103 on: June 01, 2023, 12:23:22 PM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Has anyone started a thread on the new CBA?
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #104 on: June 01, 2023, 12:29:31 PM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
When will the Celtics be able to trade Grant Williams and his "cap hold" of $6 million during this offseason? Is it necessary for him to secure a new contract or settle for the qualifying offer prior to being traded?
The only color that matters is GREEN