Author Topic: Best five year span in music history?  (Read 7185 times)

Best five year span in music history?
« on: February 26, 2019, 07:51:34 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
If you could only listen to one five year span of music from history, what would it be?

For me it's easy. 1991-1996.

So much stellar music to come out of that time span - Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Cranberries, Alanis Morrissette. And possibly the prime of rap - Wu Tang, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Mobb Deep , Notorious B.I.G. , Tupac (Not really a fan but i understand his cultural impact). Also the introductions of Outkast, Nas, and Jay-Z. Pobably never going to see anything like that ever again.

I know a lot of older posters may have different answers (i'm was born in '92 so im a bit biased).

Re: Best five year span in music history?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 07:54:26 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
Ashamed i forgot to mention the great Rage Against The Machine..

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 07:57:20 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If you could only listen to one five year span of music from history, what would it be?

So much stellar music to come out of that time span - Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Cranberries, Alanis Morrissette. And possibly the prime of rap - Wu Tang, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Mobb Deep , Notorious B.I.G. , Tupac (Not really a fan but i understand his cultural impact). Also the introductions of Outkast, Nas, and Jay-Z. Pobably never going to see anything like that ever again.

I know a lot of older posters may have different answers (i'm was born in '92 so im a bit biased).

I don't know what year I'd start it, but yeah, for me it's the 90s.  There was plenty of crap music, but it's the golden age for grunge / alternative and was great for hip hop, too. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 08:01:35 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Pretty good selection before my time: 69-73 was a key classic era, Woodstock and the immediate musical aftermath. A year or two one way or the other, but Jimi's brief prime has to be in it.

The 70's was pretty awesome in every genre, from operettas such as Jesus Christ Superstar, Zeppelin, The Who, Red Headed Stranger and The Gambler albums, punk, all kinds of stuff.

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 08:04:27 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
Pretty good selection before my time: 69-73 was a key classic era, Woodstock and the immediate musical aftermath. A year or two one way or the other, but Jimi's brief prime has to be in it.

The 70's was pretty awesome in every genre, from operettas such as Jesus Christ Superstar, Zeppelin, The Who, Red Headed Stranger and The Gambler albums, punk, all kinds of stuff.

TP. That's probably the best time for Rock N Roll - Zeppelin, Doors, Beatles, Sabbath, Creedence..insane amount of talent.

Also, i'm willing to bet a lot that no one says any period of time in the 2000's/2010's lol.

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 08:05:28 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

Completely agree... Also Soundgarden, Nine Inch Nails, Garbage, Stone Temple Pilots etc

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 08:07:36 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
1969 - 1973 for me.

Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin II, Abbey Road, Let It Bleed, In The Court of the Crimson King, Tommy, The Velvet Underground, The Stooges, At San Quentin

Let it Be, Paranoid, ***ches Brew, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs

Sticky Fingers, Who's Next, Hunky Dory, Led Zeppelin IV, Aqualung, Master of Reality, Tapestry, Funkadelic, Pearl, Fragile

Exile on Main Street, Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust, Transformer, Superfly, Honky Chateau, Talking Book, Roxy Music

Houses of the Holy, Dark Side of the Moon, Alladin Sane, Innervisions, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Lets Get it On, Quadrophenia, Catch a Fire

I was born in '86, but I'd really would like to live around that time frame and experience those albums as it comes out.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 08:14:42 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
1969 - 1973 for me.

Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin II, Abbey Road, Let It Bleed, In The Court of the Crimson King, Tommy, The Velvet Underground, The Stooges, At San Quentin

Let it Be, Paranoid, ***ches Brew, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs

Sticky Fingers, Who's Next, Hunky Dory, Led Zeppelin IV, Aqualung, Master of Reality, Tapestry, Funkadelic, Pearl, Fragile

Exile on Main Street, Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust, Transformer, Superfly, Honky Chateau, Talking Book, Roxy Music

Houses of the Holy, Dark Side of the Moon, Alladin Sane, Innervisions, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Lets Get it On, Quadrophenia, Catch a Fire

I was born in '86, but I'd really would like to live around that time frame and experience those albums as it comes out.

I grew up in the 80s and 90s but I have to admit, that is a massive list of exceptional music.  When you overlap late era Beatles, prime progressive rock, prime David Bowie, part of prime Stevie Wonder, it is hard to argue with.  TP!

I was going to argue for late 70's / early 80s but it probably won't be this good.

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 08:23:56 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
TPs to all the ‘69-‘73 folk.

The number of music genres and the number stars/groups is pretty staggering.

Stones
Beatles
Joplin
Hendrix
The Grateful Dead
The Who
The O’Jays
Teddy Pendergrass/Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes
Cream
Black Sabbath
Zeppelin
Stevie Wonder
Jefferson Airplane
Dirty Jim and The Doors
Santana
Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young ( as a group and individually)
Beach Boys
Credence
Englebert
Tom Jones
Dylan
Nascent Disco

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 08:32:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Whenever you were between the ages of 18 and 23.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 08:46:55 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

'98-'03?  I'll pass on that.   Music sucked while I was in high school & college.   There was some decent rap & hip hop but that was about it, IMO.

I'd either go with '91-96 so latter grammar school thru freshman of college.  What an era across multiple spectrums, highlighted by grunge & rap

OR

'06-'11. My late 20s to early 30s.  Arcade Fire, LCD Soundsystem, Killers, Black Keys, Vampire Weekend, & so much more.   Just some incredible alternative rock going on.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2019, 08:48:40 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

TP. That's probably the best time for Rock N Roll - Zeppelin, Doors, Beatles, Sabbath, Creedence..insane amount of talent.

Also, i'm willing to bet a lot that no one says any period of time in the 2000's/2010's lol.

I'd go a little earlier -- '65 - '70.   By '72 -'73 got a fair amount of imitators and bubblegum.   '67 might be the best. 

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 09:09:06 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

This is a solid thoughtful response to the OPers comment. I would move my age more from like, 16/17-21/22.

But in the end, even though I didnt get to experience it to the fullest being to young....I agree with 91-96.

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 09:25:34 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Here's the list

1992 Right Said Fred I'm too sexy

1997 Hansom Mmm Bop

1999 Living La Vida Loca Ricky Martin

This Era was like Magic and Larry Bird. Untouchable.

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2019, 09:38:23 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
For me, any period from the 70s to the 80s.