Author Topic: Isaiah Austin dominanting Chinese league  (Read 3600 times)

Isaiah Austin dominanting Chinese league
« on: August 22, 2018, 09:20:20 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
One of life's rarities.  An actual well done Bleacher Report story.  Isaiah Austin who was diagnosed with Marfan syndrome isn't cleared to play in the NBA but is dominating the Chinese league.   

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2791969-medically-barred-from-the-nba-isaiah-austin-is-putting-up-big-numbers-in-china?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

Re: Isaiah Austin dominanting Chinese league
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 09:39:41 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
This is sad story. As a Celtics fan I can really feel the pain in this story as we've had two great young players drop dead on our team. I feel bad that the NBA won't let him play but I understand why. I really liked this kid coming out of college and remember him on draft night. I hope he can find something else to do with his life.

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 09:40:12 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I'm happy he's succeeding, but I also feel sorry that he doesn't have the opportunity to play in the NBA.

I understand why the NBA won't let him in, but It's unfortunate that he doesn't get to live life on his terms.

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 10:36:23 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Kind of lost in all of the talk about his medical situation is that he's doing all of this while blind in one eye. Quite the kid.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 02:15:16 PM »

Online rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Good for him (successful career).  :)

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 03:00:32 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
NBA should let him play, screw the risks... it's his to take and whatever team decides to grant the opportunity.

If he dies early, so be it. He's going to be playing regardless, so better to take the risk at the highest level.

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 03:38:32 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
NBA should let him play, screw the risks... it's his to take and whatever team decides to grant the opportunity.

If he dies early, so be it. He's going to be playing regardless, so better to take the risk at the highest level.

I think the biggest problem is that the NBA is viewed by millions.  Seeing a player die on TV would be a very tragic very scarring thing for people to see.  Young and Old.  I do not know what the % chances of something like that happening are but it's not something that the NBA would like to have happen and get sued over.  It's a tricky situation and It stinks that someone who seems to have been put on this earth to doing something specific can't do it.  1 millimeter is just insane.  That's what is costing him millions and true happiness.  I pray that one day soon he can wake up and that 1mm is no longer an obstacle.

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 04:46:28 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

I think the biggest problem is that the NBA is viewed by millions.  Seeing a player die on TV would be a very tragic very scarring thing for people to see.  Young and Old.  I do not know what the % chances of something like that happening are but it's not something that the NBA would like to have happen and get sued over.  It's a tricky situation and It stinks that someone who seems to have been put on this earth to doing something specific can't do it.  1 millimeter is just insane.  That's what is costing him millions and true happiness.  I pray that one day soon he can wake up and that 1mm is no longer an obstacle.

Let me preface this post by acknowledging I don’t know his exact medical condition because I vaguely remember his story at the draft, but how is he cleared to play in China?

IF (and a big if) doctors are clearing him there and he can find some here to clear him, that seems like a nice lawsuit from the ADA or whatever, just seems discriminatory. I know they are trying to protect the kid (and, most especially themselves), but if he’s going to play professional ball, why can’t he here?

If he shouldn’t be playing in China, shame on them. I get he loves basketball, but if it’s truly life-threatening, gotta pack it up and move on.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 06:36:40 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Let me preface this post by acknowledging I don’t know his exact medical condition because I vaguely remember his story at the draft, but how is he cleared to play in China?

IF (and a big if) doctors are clearing him there and he can find some here to clear him, that seems like a nice lawsuit from the ADA or whatever, just seems discriminatory. I know they are trying to protect the kid (and, most especially themselves), but if he’s going to play professional ball, why can’t he here?

If he shouldn’t be playing in China, shame on them. I get he loves basketball, but if it’s truly life-threatening, gotta pack it up and move on.
You could read the link I posted and find out.    ;) 
Apparently he has a mild case of Marfan and is undergoing frequent monitoring.  His doctor didn't "clear" him but explained the risks.  The NBA takes a hardline following the heart association recommendation of no competitive sports.