Author Topic: Points League Start-Up  (Read 7221 times)

Points League Start-Up
« on: June 21, 2015, 08:40:40 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
This is going to be a thread on the soon to be start-up of a new points league. The details of this league is yet to be decided, and will be within this thread. So far it is looking like a single season league, and then a keepers league afterwards once we establish active people.
GM's on board ATM
Denis998 - Suicide Squad
tarheelsxxiii - Blacktop Flat Tops
Celts Fan 508 - Lob City
Smartacus
Forza Juventus - Juventus Basketball Club
jambr380 - Devil in Stitches
hpantazo - Toine's Boys
Birdman
osterhagen
mkogav
DinoGanga - Beantown

If you are interested in joining post in here. The max number of GM's will be about as much as Yahoo/ESPN will allow.

-------------------------------
For those in the league we have to agree on details such as the name, points per stat, and any other stuff to come up.
-------------------------------
To Do List:
Establish Team Names
Establish League Name
Establish Single Season or Keepers 
Establish Point Value System
Establish Rules
Establish Official Forum Thread
Setup Yahoo/ESPN domain
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 01:17:14 PM by Denis998 »

Re: Points League Start-Up
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 09:07:13 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Woop woop
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 11:02:43 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Awesome - thanks for confirming. I will be on the lookout for updates.

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 12:01:30 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Rutgers '17
For those involved, start to think about what you will name your team and post it here once ready.

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 12:47:33 AM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
For those involved, start to think about what you will name your team and post it here once ready.

My team name will be Juventus Basketball Club
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 07:47:14 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I'm interested. Sign me up!

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 08:16:11 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

My team name will be Juventus Basketball Club
Juventus BC?

Not to be confused with BC Juventus...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BC_Juventus

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 04:52:28 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Id prefer keeper, more strategy, but Im in either way
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 05:02:17 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Denis998,  I prob will skip this one.   I'd do a single-season league, but I'm already in a couple long-term leagues already.  So don't count on me to fill one of the slots.

Long-term leagues are a commitment.  I think a lot of them end up puttering out... which can be a bummer if you spend all your time strategizing "for the future" and then the next year everyone is like "Meh that was boring/I hate my team" and bail.  Hah.  So make sure you guys are really committed to keeping this going for the long-term. 

I'd recommend you guys do it as H2H points league (where each week teams face off against each other and the teams with best records advance to the playoffs)

I think GC's Yahoo! H2H League is probably run that way.   A couple leagues here already run through Yahoo. You could do this one through ESPN to be different.  I think their scoring system is based on the NBA Efficiency stat (we use to call them Birdies after Larry Bird)... Just a simple equation:  Points + Rebounds + Assists + Steals + Blocks... subtract missed shots and turnovers = the fantasy points the player puts up that night.   

But you guys can define your own scoring multipliers.  Some people like to add multipliers that favor assists or steals, for instance.   This is where a lot of fantasy leagues can fail, though.  I've seen people quit just because they don't like the way the scoring system works.  And you can't really change the scoring system after season 1, because then it has the potential to screw over someone who built their roster based on the original scoring system.   

All things to think about when building out a long-term league you expect to participate in for the next decade ;)

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 06:05:27 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Denis998,  I prob will skip this one.   I'd do a single-season league, but I'm already in a couple long-term leagues already.  So don't count on me to fill one of the slots.

Long-term leagues are a commitment.  I think a lot of them end up puttering out... which can be a bummer if you spend all your time strategizing "for the future" and then the next year everyone is like "Meh that was boring/I hate my team" and bail.  Hah.  So make sure you guys are really committed to keeping this going for the long-term. 

I'd recommend you guys do it as H2H points league (where each week teams face off against each other and the teams with best records advance to the playoffs)

I think GC's Yahoo! H2H League is probably run that way. 
A couple leagues here already run through Yahoo. You could do this one through ESPN to be different.  I think their scoring system is based on the NBA Efficiency stat (we use to call them Birdies after Larry Bird)... Just a simple equation:  Points + Rebounds + Assists + Steals + Blocks... subtract missed shots and turnovers = the fantasy points the player puts up that night.   

But you guys can define your own scoring multipliers.  Some people like to add multipliers that favor assists or steals, for instance.   This is where a lot of fantasy leagues can fail, though.  I've seen people quit just because they don't like the way the scoring system works.  And you can't really change the scoring system after season 1, because then it has the potential to screw over someone who built their roster based on the original scoring system.   

All things to think about when building out a long-term league you expect to participate in for the next decade ;)

the GC Yahoo! H2h league (formerly Lucky17's Yahoo! H2H league...) is actually a 20 team, 11 category league. Each week teams face off and get a win, loss or tie in each of the 11 categories. After 20 weeks the 8 teams with the best W-L record advance to the playoffs.

The leagues' been aroudn for about 8 years -- with turnover of a team or 2 a year (on average) -- but a good core of 15 teams that have been there more than 3-4 years (and i think 8 from the original 20).

You can check the constitution, etc. at our site <http://www.10thumbs.org/h2h>.

There's more info at our season-long thread: http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=77585.0

Good luck on setting up your new league! If there's anything else you need feel free to hit me with a PM.

I think we have all 20 teams coming back but when we're looking for replacement GMs I'll add it to the thread title (i.e "GC's Yahoo! H2H League 2015-16 thread: LOOKING FOR 1 GM")

GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 08:12:04 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
Thanks for your input, guys. Much appreciated.

A H2H league with playoffs sounds very cool - much like fantasy football. Regarding categories, like points and assists, maybe we could create a long list, individually rank them, and determine how many & which to include. Thoughts?

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 09:58:52 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Rutgers '17

I think GC's Yahoo! H2H League is probably run that way.   A couple leagues here already run through Yahoo. You could do this one through ESPN to be different.  I think their scoring system is based on the NBA Efficiency stat (we use to call them Birdies after Larry Bird)... Just a simple equation:  Points + Rebounds + Assists + Steals + Blocks... subtract missed shots and turnovers = the fantasy points the player puts up that night.   

I think GC's Yahoo! H2H League is probably run that way. 
A couple leagues here already run through Yahoo. You could do this one through ESPN to be different.  I think their scoring system is based on the NBA Efficiency stat (we use to call them Birdies after Larry Bird)... Just a simple equation:  Points + Rebounds + Assists + Steals + Blocks... subtract missed shots and turnovers = the fantasy points the player puts up that night.   

the GC Yahoo! H2h league (formerly Lucky17's Yahoo! H2H league...) is actually a 20 team, 11 category league. Each week teams face off and get a win, loss or tie in each of the 11 categories. After 20 weeks the 8 teams with the best W-L record advance to the playoffs.

The leagues' been aroudn for about 8 years -- with turnover of a team or 2 a year (on average) -- but a good core of 15 teams that have been there more than 3-4 years (and i think 8 from the original 20).

You can check the constitution, etc. at our site <http://www.10thumbs.org/h2h>.

There's more info at our season-long thread: http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=77585.0

Good luck on setting up your new league! If there's anything else you need feel free to hit me with a PM.

I think we have all 20 teams coming back but when we're looking for replacement GMs I'll add it to the thread title (i.e "GC's Yahoo! H2H League 2015-16 thread: LOOKING FOR 1 GM")

Thanks for all of the helpful tips guys ;D ;D, I'm sure that they will be well appreciated when ball gets rolling later down the line.

and LaBrd33, thanks for the heads up, made the changes to the OP.

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 10:36:44 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
my team name: Toine's Boys

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 12:02:35 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
I'll likely be goin' with Blacktop Flat Tops. Just wanted to make a placeholder in case you fellas are considering this one!  :P Holla!

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 12:56:44 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Rutgers '17
Great team names so far! Keep em commin'