Author Topic: #33 pick: Aleksander Vezenkov, 19-year-old kid tearing the Greek league  (Read 11778 times)

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
His dad isn't "a trainer", he's one of the most decorated Bulgarian basketball players, as well as a former pro coach and executive. but I digress.

I'd stay away from Vezenkov, though. He's a tweener, and has been getting away with playing as a 6'9, 225 lbs PF in the size-challenged Euroleagues. That won't translate in the NBA, and I doubt he has the footspeed to stay with SFs. While he's still young, I consider him somewhat of a reach at 33.

edit: Also, in case you wondered, his father says it's too early for him to go to the NBA -- and claims that his son knows that. Exact quote is "He needs to make one extra step to a major European club". Article is from March 15, in Bulgarian.

http://www.sportal.bg/news.php?news=538134

So we can't even use a 33rd pick to stash him overseas while he develops ?

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Dare I say maybe even Bird-esque?
  Get real, that is a stretch,

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
You could use whatever you want. That's not going to make his game translate to the NBA any better.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
You could use whatever you want. That's not going to make his game translate to the NBA any better.

Its the 33rd pick in the draft.  If he turns out to be a contributor, great.  A star, fantastic.  A washout, its the 33rd pick in the draft. 

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Its the 33rd pick in the draft.  If he turns out to be a contributor, great.  A star, fantastic.  A washout, its the 33rd pick in the draft.
So let's close our eyes and throw a dart. I mean, we'll get a contributor, star, or a washout either way. What are you even talking about?!
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 84
His dad isn't "a trainer", he's one of the most decorated Bulgarian basketball players, as well as a former pro coach and executive. But I digress.

I'd stay away from Vezenkov, though. He's a tweener, and has been getting away with playing as a 6'9, 225 lbs PF in the size-challenged Euroleagues. That won't translate in the NBA, and I doubt he has the footspeed to stay with SFs. While he's still young, I consider him somewhat of a reach at 33.

edit: Also, in case you wondered, his father says it's too early for him to go to the NBA -- and claims that his son knows that. Exact quote is "He needs to make one extra step to a major European club". Article is from March 15, in Bulgarian.

http://www.sportal.bg/news.php?news=538134

So kozlodoev... which Euro guys do you see making it in the NBA in this draft?  (besides Hezonja and Porzingis)

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
So kozlodoev... which Euro guys do you see making it in the NBA in this draft?  (besides Hezonja and Porzingis)
I don't care about the other guys because I don't know them. But Vezenkov is a homie, so I've seen some. And what I've seen is a stretch forward who is very skilled but not particularly athletic. He's been able to light up the competition, because he's advanced for his age group, and because you can got a long way in Europe by just being a deadeye shooter against the zone. But his game is pretty much that of a 6'9 Kelly Olynyk, complete with the absence of first step and awkward finishes (because he can't get off the ground). He's stated in interviews that he wants to develop more "3 skills", but I think the athletic tools just aren't there.

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
Bumping this thread a bit. Vezenkov just played a phenomenal game against a top 3 team in Europe, helping his Aris beat Olympiacos.

28 points on 9-16 shooting (3 of 6 from 3P), 7-11 FTs, 6 Rebounds, 2 Assists, a block, a steal and 0 TOs.

His body needs a lot of work but the kid is a gamer and still 19.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
He is got game for sure. But i tend to agree with kozlodoev. His is completely "unathletic". To make a comparison Papanikolaou is a superathlete  compared to him.

He certainly has room to grow and he is very commited to bball. I`m sure he will be an excellent Euroleague player but i can`t see him getting minutes in NBA unless he improves his shooting to Stojacovic level

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
He is got game for sure. But i tend to agree with kozlodoev. His is completely "unathletic". To make a comparison Papanikolaou is a superathlete  compared to him.

He certainly has room to grow and he is very commited to bball. I`m sure he will be an excellent Euroleague player but i can`t see him getting minutes in NBA unless he improves his shooting to Stojacovic level
I'd be very interested in hearing an opinion by an athletic trainer on his body. Does he have a type of body you can work on?

The athletic programs in Bulgaria and Greece are universes behind those in US colleges and are not comparable to the NBA training at all. He is 19. If his body type allows improvements, I trust him to put the work necessary.

On the unathletic forward type - we have seen plenty of unathletic stretch players in recent years - Mirza Teletovic, Matt Bonner, James Jones, Belinelli, etc... No doubt in my mind he can play in the NBA better than some of those listed.

Still, we will most probably have better options at 33 if we stay pat.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Maybe he could be a Jason Kapono, Steve Novak type.  It's great when a second rounder sticks in the league for a few years but it's not exactly a swing for the fence pick.

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
Maybe he could be a Jason Kapono, Steve Novak type.  It's great when a second rounder sticks in the league for a few years but it's not exactly a swing for the fence pick.

I doubt Kapono or Novak would lead the Greek league in scoring and be in top 3 rebounders at the age of 19.  Vezenkov averages very efficient 17.7 PPG on .595 TS% with elite advanced stats throughout.

To put that in perspective the runner-up rookie of the year Mirotic played 15 min. per game off the bench at the same age and scored meager 6 Points per game. Yeah, Real Madrid, but the competition in Spain and Greece after the top 2-3 teams is not that different.

My point is, if Bryan Doo looks at him and says "I can work with that", you have a very skilled forward with high intangibles.

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

So let's close our eyes and throw a dart. I mean, we'll get a contributor, star, or a washout either way. What are you even talking about?!

The 33rd pick in the draft is always still going to be pretty valuable. If we were talking a pick in say the 45-50 range ok I get what you're saying. But at 33 you can still get a contributing player there. He most likely won't be a superstar but "its the 33rd pick in the draft." Why just throw it away?

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
To put that in perspective the runner-up rookie of the year Mirotic played 15 min. per game off the bench at the same age and scored meager 6 Points per game. Yeah, Real Madrid, but the competition in Spain and Greece after the top 2-3 teams is not that different.

My point is, if Bryan Doo looks at him and says "I can work with that", you have a very skilled forward with high intangibles.

The Spanish league is much better than the Greek even below the top tier. But i guess you have a point .. A trainer can assess his ability and more importantly his limits much better than we do.

if he can pass this test then imho he`s worth the risk ....

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Here's a pretty good story on him, pointing out that in a year he'd be in the lottery:

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2014/12/21/eurohoops-top-2015-draft-prospects-are-mario-herzonja-and-aleksandar-vezenkov/