Author Topic: SNL 40th Anniversary Special  (Read 10932 times)

Re: SNL 40th Anniversary Special
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 09:34:24 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Chevy Chase didn't look right on the Red Carpet or in that short segment where he spoke.

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 09:42:19 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Trying to watch it now.    Trying

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 09:55:21 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Imagine that afterparty.......
I think my head just exploded...

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 03:29:48 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Hah you guys are harsh.  I thought it was great.  The Celebrity Jeopardy bit was fantastic.  The musical montage was fun.   I wish Eddie Murphy was less of a primadonna, but at least he crawled out of his castle and actually showed up. 

We had people over and we all enjoyed it.  My girlfriend made some SNL-themed snacks:

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 04:15:45 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
read the article - no clue how this guy came up with his rankings.  would have a completely different ranking personally

It looks like: cast members he loved, then cast members he liked, then cast members he was indifferent about, the cast members he could make a joke about not being that good or being wasted, then cast members he actively loathed.

My top ten, in no particular order, would probably look something like:
Phil Hartman, Eddie Murphy, Mike Myers, Amy Poehler, Bill Hader, Dana Carvey, Darrell Hammond, Jan Hooks, Dan Ackroyd, Jane Curtin.

If you asked me a month from now, I'd probably give eight of those names and two others, but I may be the only person who would consistently leave John Belushi out of the top ten.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2015, 09:44:28 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I thought the special was real hit or miss.   

For the love of God, I don't understand the fascination with "The Californians".  Just have never found that skit funny.  The ending with Bradley Cooper & Betty White making out was pretty funny, though.

I thought the Weekend Update was good.  Nice to see them bring back Jane Curtin.  Didn't like the idea of celebrities imitating famous SNL characters, though.  The Emma Stone one was cringe-worthy, IMO given the fact that Gilda Radner is dead. 

The musical number with Martin Short/Maya Rudolph was pretty good, though.  Nice to see them bring back all those musical characters.  Bill  Murray as Nick Ocean was fantastic.  Great to see Joe Piscopo bring back his Frank Sinatra. 

Seeing Wayne's World again was awesome.  I was a pre-teen back when they were running those sketches.  Sentimental.

The Eddie Murphy thing was really disappointing.  Chris Rock did a helluva job setting things up with an introduction for the ages and then Eddie comes out and......falls completely flat.  He was set up to totally kill it and he just stood there & did nothing.  It took 30 years to bring him back and that was the result?  Extremely disappointing. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2015, 10:05:10 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I thought the special was real hit or miss.   

For the love of God, I don't understand the fascination with "The Californians".  Just have never found that skit funny.  The ending with Bradley Cooper & Betty White making out was pretty funny, though.

I thought it was great to have kind of a meta-tribute to the show by having a one-joke sketch that went on 5 minutes too long.

I thought the Weekend Update was good.  Nice to see them bring back Jane Curtin.  Didn't like the idea of celebrities imitating famous SNL characters, though.  The Emma Stone one was cringe-worthy, IMO given the fact that Gilda Radner is dead. 

Yeah, especially since the punchline didn't feel like one.  Melissa McCarthy as Matt Foley was also embarrassing; I do a better Matt Foley than that for Pete's sake.  But Ed Norton was legit hilarious as Stefon.  And having Dick Cheney come out as Chevy Chase earlier was amazing.

EDIT: I loved that after all the musical characters Bill Murray just slew the crowd by the end of the first word.

I also agree that Eddie Murphy was pointless, it just seemed like bland ego-stroking that was completely separate from everything else.  They should've had Spade come out to make fun of him again so he could stay away for another 25 years.

The whole thing was fun in a nostalgia kind of way, but way too self-congratulatory and relying on "remember the time this funny thing happened?  Well it's kinda funny to do it again I guess."  But worth the watch overall.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 10:31:19 AM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2015, 12:11:06 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Loved celebrity jeopardy but everything else was meh.  Some good points .mixed with not so good.  Was hoping for something from cheri oteri but nada.  The Eddie Murphy piece was truly pointless.  Piscopo still does a great Sinatra. 

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2015, 01:10:19 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
The Seinfeld bit where he was taking questions from the audience was one of the highlight segments, IMO.  Thought he slayed there.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 07:44:04 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Imagine that afterparty.......
It would be like an average summer weekend on Martha's Vineyard! 

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 08:40:01 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I tried to watch, I really did.  Although I loved SNL...this was like being an outsider at a family reunion...only interesting to family members, no so much to outside observers.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2015, 01:18:28 AM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
This sheds some light on one reason why Eddie Murphy didn't have much of a role on SNL40.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/18/eddie-murphy-bill-cosby_n_6710034.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000024

Via twitter, Norm says at the behest of the writers he tried to convince Murphy to play the Bill Cosby part in Celebrity Jeopardy. They all knew (including Murphy) that it would have killed but Eddie didn't want to kick Cosby while he was down, despite their differences. It's understandable.

Why he wasn't in any other skit, I don't know.

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2015, 01:32:24 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
TP Nerf.  Also found this opinion piece that suggest Eddie has stage fright:  http://screenrant.com/snl-40th-anniversary-eddie-murphy-stand-up-comedy-2015/

Really anything he could have done would be seen as a disappointment by some.  But it seems he's lost the drive to really do anything funny.  Trophy girlfriend, zillions of dollars... dude took 5 years off from even doing movies after "Tower Heist".  It doesn't seem like he's interested in entertaining people anymore.