Author Topic: Smart's Shot Chart = Elite Finisher  (Read 7664 times)

Re: Smart's Shot Chart = Elite Finisher
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2014, 10:28:02 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
the more I think a Smart+Bradley back court ctually makes more sense than a Smart+Rondo or a Bradley+Rondo backcourt.

You would only have the Bradley backcourt 70% of the time.   That is right folks the rest of the time he is injured!  He needs to sign for less than 6 Mil for this fact because he is unreliable from a health standpoint.

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Marcus Smart headlines WARP projection ranking of the 2014 draft class

1. Marcus Smart, PG, Oklahoma State Cowboys
Win%: .512 | Age: 20.1 | WARP projection: 3.6

Several factors propelled Smart to the top of the WARP projections. He is young for a sophomore, just 10 days older than Joel Embiid. Smart's projected steal rate is tops for any projected first-round pick, which is important because steal rate has been a strong indicator of NBA success. He is also an excellent rebounder and has been surprisingly good playing against star point guards. Players similar to Smart tend to perform better in the NBA as the professional floor typically is more open, allowing them to create off the dribble.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2014/story/_/id/11102133/nba-draft-marcus-smart-tops-kevin-pelton-prospect-projection-rankings

I don't have insider. Luckily, Smart is 1st...

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2014, 11:12:23 AM »

Offline bhbf08

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
I keep hearing he was able to bully people with his size... something he will not be able to do on the NBA level.

Why not?  He has great size/strength that will only increase as he becomes a pro and spends a lot more time practicing and in the gym.  He has the attitude and desire to do it, and he will!

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2014, 10:40:40 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I keep hearing he was able to bully people with his size... something he will not be able to do on the NBA level.

Why not?  He has great size/strength that will only increase as he becomes a pro and spends a lot more time practicing and in the gym.  He has the attitude and desire to do it, and he will!

Yeah.

Smart has the physique.

Jeff Green, IN THEORY, could bully people in the post. But he has no fire.

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2014, 11:12:27 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
the more I think a Smart+Bradley back court ctually makes more sense than a Smart+Rondo or a Bradley+Rondo backcourt.

You would only have the Bradley backcourt 70% of the time.   That is right folks the rest of the time he is injured!  He needs to sign for less than 6 Mil for this fact because he is unreliable from a health standpoint.

First of all, Rondo / Bradley was not ideal and Rondo / Bayless was certainly no better. I think Rondo / Smart and Rondo / Young are both better long term options. If Bradely stays, then we can pair him with Smart. We can even go small with Young at the 3. In short, Smart is the combo guard that we have been looking for and Young gives us additional size and flexibility. Even if Rondo & Bradley stay there is no guarantee we can keep both long term and Smart and Young will take time before he can contribute on a regular basis. Great Job Danny!

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2014, 11:34:28 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Imagine AB guarding Smart
He will be in the hospital during halftime

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2014, 11:36:50 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50

thats what i dont get haha. people keep acting like this guy will stop working out.

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2014, 11:38:03 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

Absolutely false. Believe it or not, opposing coaches noticed his 225lb frame and were not dumb enough to guard him with their PG. He was usually guarded by the opposing team's best defensive wing. They were never punished for doing so because Oklahoma State fielded an undersized team, and Smart was never their smallest player on the floor. In the NBA, it will be a huge asset to the team's offense if he forces opposing coaches to make a similar adjustment, as it would force them to use their smallest defender on someone else.

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2014, 11:39:00 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

I think you are thinking of Randle.

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2014, 11:40:54 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50

Absolutely false. Believe it or not, opposing coaches noticed his 225lb frame and were not dumb enough to guard him with their PG. He was usually guarded by the opposing team's best defensive wing. They were never punished for doing so because Oklahoma State fielded an undersized team, and Smart was never their smallest player on the floor. In the NBA, it will be a huge asset to the team's offense if he forces opposing coaches to make a similar adjustment, as it would force them to use their smallest defender on someone else.
the mismatches will be great. i could see shooting guards having to defend smart, then avery bradley can defend the smaller point guards without having a mismatch.

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2014, 11:48:01 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

First of all, Rondo / Bradley was not ideal and Rondo / Bayless was certainly no better. I think Rondo / Smart and Rondo / Young are both better long term options. If Bradely stays, then we can pair him with Smart. We can even go small with Young at the 3. In short, Smart is the combo guard that we have been looking for and Young gives us additional size and flexibility. Even if Rondo & Bradley stay there is no guarantee we can keep both long term and Smart and Young will take time before he can contribute on a regular basis. Great Job Danny!

But how much of a sample size do we really have to just the Rondo/Bradley combination?   

Early in his career Bradley barely got playing time, so barely got to play with Rondo. 

In his second season he got some good playing time, and the Rondo+Bradley combination was straight out dominant, until Bradley left with the shoulder injury just before the ECF started.

In his third season Bradley took a while to return from his injury, so at the start of the seaon Rondo was on the court without Bradley.  When Bradley finally did return and join forces with Rondo, the Celtics went on a huge winning streak.  Not long after this Rondo got injured and was done for the season, forcing Bradley to play out of position at the PG spot (which hurt his production significantly.

In his forth season the Celtics started without Rondo, and Pressey started at PG so that Bradley could finally stick to his natural SG spot.  As a result, Bradley improved dramatically and emerged as Boston's #2 scorer - a real break out year.  But Rondo didn't return until about half way in to the year, and when he did he was not the same player.  It took time for Rondo to really start getting back to being even 80% of his former self, and by that time Bradley was out with injury again.

To be honest, I think the Rondo + Bradley combo has (in the smallish sample size) been a very effective combination.   We just haven't seen enough of that combination for it to really shine through to team success. 

I think the Smart + Bradley combiation, a couple of years from now, could be even better.  But alas, we'll see what happens.

I agree that Bradley's injury history is a concern, and unquestionaly will restrict his value on the market.  I don't think he'll get a $9M deal, as some reports are suggesting, but I think he will get $7M.   If a particular team really likes him however, don't be suprised if they throw him a crazy deal that they know Boston can't/won't match just to secure him, much like Houston did with Lin and Asik (whom the Knicks and Bulls really wanted to keep).  Avery Bradley is better than Jeremy Lin, so a crqazy deal is not out of the question.

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2014, 12:08:44 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Imagine AB guarding Smart
He will be in the hospital during halftime
I'm not sure why, but I found this really funny.