Author Topic: Embid  (Read 20293 times)

Re: Embid
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2014, 01:48:15 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
What's the best case scenario for Embiid? Dwight Howard? If that's the case, i don't think it's worth it. If the best case for Wiggins is Dominique, or if the best case for Parker is Carmelo i would rather have Nique or Carmelo than Dwight. The main reason is big men get into foul trouble too quickly in the current NBA, which neutralizes their effectiveness.

Hakeem

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2014, 01:55:52 AM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
What's the best case scenario for Embiid? Dwight Howard? If that's the case, i don't think it's worth it. If the best case for Wiggins is Dominique, or if the best case for Parker is Carmelo i would rather have Nique or Carmelo than Dwight. The main reason is big men get into foul trouble too quickly in the current NBA, which neutralizes their effectiveness.

There's no comparison. Embiid already has better footwork and infinite more usable post moves compared to Dwight. Also doesn't seem to have Howard's personality, so that's also a plus.

I'd take Dwight without Dwight's personality over Melo or Wilkens, easy. But I think Embiid can be much more.

What about the issue of foul trouble for big men in the current NBA? They can barely stay on the floor. The offensive player can launch his body into the chest of the big man creating the contact, but the big man is called for the foul. What good is a dominant big who can't stay on the floor?

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2014, 01:57:03 AM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton

Hakeem

Hakeem? Wow that's high praise. Does he have Hakeems jumper? If he's as good as Hakeem you have to take him, but if he's Dwight 2.0 i'll pass.

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2014, 02:31:45 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 601

Hakeem

Hakeem? Wow that's high praise. Does he have Hakeems jumper? If he's as good as Hakeem you have to take him, but if he's Dwight 2.0 i'll pass.
I don't know about jump shot but I'm sure he'll learn it soon. But Embiid have dream shake in his arsenal right now.

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2014, 05:31:04 AM »

Offline Walter Moss

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 37
Embiid already got Akeem's stat as a freshmen. He just need to gain muscles on his perfect frame and that's it. Best bigman since TD/KG.One in generation. Hype is huge, but so is his game. Simply amazing gift from wisest Mba and Cameroonian ppl)

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2014, 06:18:55 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

What about the issue of foul trouble for big men in the current NBA? They can barely stay on the floor. The offensive player can launch his body into the chest of the big man creating the contact, but the big man is called for the foul. What good is a dominant big who can't stay on the floor?

Do you have any numbers to back this up?  Seems like the premier big men in the league still play 35+ minutes per game, just like they always have.

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2014, 07:15:08 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I don't know about Embid. 

I admit I haven't been watching full college games, but I've checked out some of the scouting report articles / videos and he still looks pretty raw offensively.

He seems to me like the biggest gamble out of all the top 6 prospects. 

The way I see it is this:

1. He's a big guy with an NBA body and excellent athleticism

2. He has excellent defensive skills already, and probably will develop into one of the top defensive bigs in the NBA

3. Offensively he still looks like a work in progress.  He shows early signs of some solid post moves and a decent jumper, but seems to still have a long way to go in developing those tools.

4. His IQ looks pretty mediocre.  Not Fab Melo or JaVale McGee bad, but maybe Kendrick Perkins or DeAndre Joran.  The flip side of this is that he hasn't been playing basketball for long, and he's developed very quickly in the time he has been playing so this hints at high upside.  But then again, that's what everybody said about Fab Melo. 

Again, I think Embiid looks like one of those guys who could go either way - he could become the next Hakeem, or he could become the next DeAndre Jordan.  Having DJ as your floor is really not bad, but if you went into a draft this stacked with a high lottery pick and ended up with DeAndre Jordan 4 seasons down the track, you'd be a bit dissapointed.

So yes, I think the "next Hakeem" comparisons are a bit over the top right now because Hakeem was possibly the greatest offensive center who ever lived, was excellent in every facet of the game and had BBIQ that was off the charts.  The kid looks to have a ton of potential though, so who knows.

All I know is that I wouldn't really mind a DeAndre Jordan on this team right now (a guy who can give you 12 rebounds and 3 blocks) so even if his offensive game and IQ never come around, I still wouldn't complain about drafting him.

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2014, 09:53:52 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Maybe this deserves its own thread, but I wonder what other lotto teams would do if Embiid was on the table.  Many of them already have a young center in place Cousins, Sanders, Vucevic,  Noel, even Kanter is playing much better lately.   It would only benefit us I think if one of those teams drafted Embiid, and put their other young center on the trade market.  We could end up with a young center either way with our trade assets.

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2014, 10:02:32 AM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
Ideally, the Cs can get into the top-5 and the team in position to draft Embiid has a young center like you described. DA could attempt to sell them on Randle (or another prospect) in a swap of picks plus a future 1st.
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2014, 10:10:45 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

There's no comparison. Embiid already has better footwork and infinite more usable post moves compared to Dwight. Also doesn't seem to have Howard's personality, so that's also a plus.

I'd take Dwight without Dwight's personality over Melo or Wilkens, easy. But I think Embiid can be much more.

Well maybe Dwight Howard has the propensity to foul out of games, but not every aggressive big defensive player does. Embiid seems to have awesome footwork which should help him stay out of foul trouble. The guys that get in trouble are the ones with poor lateral movement (Dwight, Shaq, etc) and this is not a new thing.

In my opinion, while you are right that the true bigs seem to be s thing of the past, I honestly think it is a coincidence. There just haven't been many all around talented or dominant bigs to enter the league lately.

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2014, 10:33:29 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Well maybe Dwight Howard has the propensity to foul out of games, but not every aggressive big defensive player does. Embiid seems to have awesome footwork which should help him stay out of foul trouble. The guys that get in trouble are the ones with poor lateral movement (Dwight, Shaq, etc) and this is not a new thing.

In my opinion, while you are right that the true bigs seem to be s thing of the past, I honestly think it is a coincidence. There just haven't been many all around talented or dominant bigs to enter the league lately.

Howard's averaging 34 minutes per game, and 16 qualifying centers are averaging 30 minutes or more.

Only 20 PGs are averaging 30 minutes or more--so I don't see what the big deal is.

« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2014, 10:38:56 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

Howard's averaging 34 minutes per game, and 16 qualifying centers are averaging 30 minutes or more.

Only 20 PGs are averaging 30 minutes or more--so I don't see what the big deal is.

Spicoli was saying he'd rather have Wiggins or Parker than Embid if his ceiling is Dwight Howard because players like Dwight get in foul trouble limiting their impact.

I agree with you that it isnt a big deal, 1 because it is only bigs without lateral quickness who routinely get in foul trouble, 2 because Embid seems to be very mobil, and 3, like you say, it doesnt seem to me that Centers are getting in foul trouble enough to limit their effectiveness or worth to a team.

Im Curious where this is coming from too.

« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2014, 11:39:07 AM »

Offline Walter Moss

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 37

« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2014, 12:18:39 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
Granted, i don't have statistical evidence to backup my claim about big men getting into foul trouble. Maybe i'm just thinking back to game 7 Miami vs. Indiana. Hibbert got into early foul trouble and Miami never looked back. It just seems that if your best player is a big man, he's more likely to get into foul trouble naturally because he's the one protecting the rim and players are constantly throwing their bodies into him looking for contact. It just seems like the premier wing players in todays league get into foul trouble a lot less.

« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2014, 12:23:57 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Granted, i don't have statistical evidence to backup my claim about big men getting into foul trouble.

Stern and the refs have always helped their poster boy, LeBron.   Whomever plays them gets in foul trouble.   I don't think he needs the help as he is a great player.  These calls cheapen the game and smack of rigging.   It happened to us a lot too.   Whomever, they are marketing as the greatest get's phantom calls and ridiculous walks.