Author Topic: Worst Case to Best Case Rebuilding Game.  (Read 1232 times)

Worst Case to Best Case Rebuilding Game.
« on: December 06, 2011, 09:50:16 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Ok, so with the Chris Paul trade talks out there, and the known possibility that he might walk after this year should we get him, it got me thinking about rebuilding.  I’m assuming the 2 first round picks we’d trade would both be from the 2012 draft (our pick + Clippers) or lottery protected if after that.  So we suck for a few years and have to rebuild through the draft.  But since we suck so badly, we have a good chance of some top picks.

So the worst case is Chris Paul leaves, we trade (or cut) Pierce so he’s not stuck rebuilding, and Garnett and Ray move on leaving us with nothing.

Now the best case following that is we get some lottery luck from ’13-’15, and there’s some great guys available in the draft.

Let’s plan on a 3 year rebuilding plan.  Looking back at the last 10 years, it looks like these 2 teams had the best 3 consecutive years in the lottery (assuming no traded picks):

Clippers in ’09, ‘10, and ’11 had picks 1, 8, and 1.
Blazers in ’05, ’06, and ’07 had picks 3, 4, and 1.

So go back to any 3 consecutive drafts over the last 10 (or so) years, and use either set of those 3 picks (1, 8, 1 or 3, 4, 1) and you can draft whoever is available.  Who do you take?  What could a team that drafted perfectly look like?  (And then let’s hope for something like this should the C’s have to rebuild).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Re: Worst Case to Best Case Rebuilding Game.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 11:14:12 PM »

Offline Inside-Out

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
I think that if the worse case scenario includes 18 banners in the rafters and a completely empty roster...

We're in precisely the position that so many teams have tried to put themselves in over the past couple of years to create an opportunity for superstars who want to play together to do so.  Miami and NYK cleared the decks, and the reward seems to be that 3 superstars walk in the door (being quite generous to the skinny tall guy in Miami there...).

Sure, Larry, Kevin, and the Chief aren't walking through that door, but if 3 superstars are going to do it, this seems to be the way it's done in the modern NBA.  I think Danny realizes how complicated and unlikely it is to pull off trades for superstars, and is open to going this route.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Unless, of course, he keeps signing old guys that are too beat up to play any more.