Author Topic: Does the Bruins Success Bother Anyone Else?  (Read 38186 times)

Re: Does the Bruins Success Bother Anyone Else?
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2011, 11:26:14 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Isn't hockey kind of a crap shoot?

I mean Tim Thomas is what 37? He's been a pretty good goalie his career but at the start of the season he was the 2nd string goalie. He went from that to having the best regular season and playoffs from any goalie ever.

I understand the Bruins have a lot of young guys and good talent but I feel like the NHL is a pretty unpredictable league in general and it's hard to predict how the Bruins will do. The Bruins were down 2-0 to Montreal in the first round and people were assuming the coach GM and others would be fired and they would turn the roster upside down. Then they went on to win a championship. I think after that turmoil early on to then go on to win a championship although it's great I don't think you can say for sure that the B's will be a top team for the next 5 years or so.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The C's have a similarly bright future next year (title contenders), but after that we're in a full rebuild mode.

So I think the Bruins do have a brighter future, unless they're going to be rebuilding sooner than it sounds like they should have to.

The Bruins are absolutely stacked for the foreseeable future.  They have all of their key players locked up, and most of them are less than 30.  They have a stud goalie ready to step in whenever Thomas is done.  They have a potential superstar in Seguin getting better every day. 

And, they have the #9 pick in this years draft to boot.

Yes, the C's have an (outside) chance of reloading on the fly, but I would be shocked if this B's team does not continue to get better, and is not a cup contender for the foreseeable future.

Plus, the salary cap should be going up by about $5 million, so they may be able to add a free agent or two.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2011, 11:32:43 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Isn't hockey kind of a crap shoot?

I mean Tim Thomas is what 37? He's been a pretty good goalie his career but at the start of the season he was the 2nd string goalie. He went from that to having the best regular season and playoffs from any goalie ever.

I understand the Bruins have a lot of young guys and good talent but I feel like the NHL is a pretty unpredictable league in general and it's hard to predict how the Bruins will do. The Bruins were down 2-0 to Montreal in the first round and people were assuming the coach GM and others would be fired and they would turn the roster upside down. Then they went on to win a championship. I think after that turmoil early on to then go on to win a championship although it's great I don't think you can say for sure that the B's will be a top team for the next 5 years or so.

Yes and no.  

Injuries certainly play a big role in the NHL, just like in every other sport.  And, injuries can derail teams that should be much better (like Pittsburg this year).  

As for Thomas, he won the Vezina 2 years ago I believe, but struggled last year because of an injury (which he ended up having surgery for).  So, the fact that he was a backup last year wasn't the whole story.  Yes, Rask was better than him (which says more about the B's future than anything IMO), but Thomas wasn't himself due to an injury.  

But, the Bruins added significant pieces in the past year, which helped lift them over the top.

But to me, the key is that the B's are on the rise.  They were not supposed to be this good this fast (and that is a credit to Thomas).  But, as Seguin and some of the other younger guys (Marchand, Kampfer, and some of the guys they have waiting in the wings who could be just as good or better) continue to grow and improve, this team has the potential to be consistently at the top of the league.  

« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 11:43:16 AM by Chris »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
The C's have a similarly bright future next year (title contenders), but after that we're in a full rebuild mode.

So I think the Bruins do have a brighter future, unless they're going to be rebuilding sooner than it sounds like they should have to.

The Bruins are absolutely stacked for the foreseeable future.  They have all of their key players locked up, and most of them are less than 30.  They have a stud goalie ready to step in whenever Thomas is done.  They have a potential superstar in Seguin getting better every day. 

Yes, the C's have an (outside) chance of reloading on the fly, but I would be shocked if this B's team does not continue to get better, and is not a cup contender for the foreseeable future.

I'm not going to pretend to know a ton about hockey but is Tukka really considered a "Stud"?.

I do agree  that on paper the Bruins have an extremely bright future do to the young core they have. They did have a pretty incredible playoff run and Thomas as I mentioned early literally had the best season a goalie has had ever.

I hope they do well but I think hockey is just so unpredictable and players/teams rise and fall so quickly

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I'm not going to pretend to know a ton about hockey but is Tukka really considered a "Stud"?.

I do agree  that on paper the Bruins have an extremely bright future do to the young core they have. They did have a pretty incredible playoff run and Thomas as I mentioned early literally had the best season a goalie has had ever.

I hope they do well but I think hockey is just so unpredictable and players/teams rise and fall so quickly

Rask is considered one of the best young goalies in Hockey, and last year, when he was the primary starter led the league in (I believe) save percentage. 

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Rask is considered one of the best young goalies in Hockey, and last year, when he was the primary starter led the league in (I believe) save percentage. 

Yeah, Rask is a stud.  Last year not only did he lead the league in save percentage, but he led it in Goals Against Average, as well.  Last year in the playoffs and this regular season he fell off a bit, but the potential is still there.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Yeah, Rask is a stud.  Last year not only did he lead the league in save percentage, but he led it in Goals Against Average, as well.  Last year in the playoffs and this regular season he fell off a bit, but the potential is still there.

Exactly.  And even in the playoffs last year he was VERY good until the end, when the whole team let down...and I think a lot of it was due to tired legs as well, since he have never played anywhere close to that many games before, let alone at the NHL level (many people were calling for him to get a rest when the B's were up 3-0 against Philly, so he could finish off the series a little fresher).

And this year, he never really had a chance to get a rhythm going, because Thomas was so dominant. 

« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2011, 01:17:20 PM »

Offline jasail

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 24
Tough to hate this on this Bruins win.  This Bruins team is full of the types of athletes this town loves; hard work and toughness.