Author Topic: Does the Bruins Success Bother Anyone Else?  (Read 38486 times)

Re: Does the Bruins Success Bother Anyone Else?
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2011, 09:17:09 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
In a way I am happy that a Boston team is succeeding.

But at the same time, I wish it was the Celtics that were grabbing the headlines right now instead of the Bruins.

Kinda depressing. :-[

I wish the Celtics were there too, but not instead of the Bruins.  I wish they both were fighting for headlines right now.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2011, 10:56:22 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
C's have hung 5 banners since the B's last in '72.....the B's  loyalists deserve one

« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2011, 11:54:26 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Does it bother anyone else how much Canadians say "uh, you know."  I watched 4 Bruins' interviews after game 6 and each one of them said "you know" like 15 times and "uh" like 30 times.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2011, 10:02:19 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
In a way I am happy that a Boston team is succeeding.

But at the same time, I wish it was the Celtics that were grabbing the headlines right now instead of the Bruins.

Kinda depressing. :-[

it only bothers me because the Bruins are winning with the same style the Celtics won with before Danny's trade. it is now the Bruins who are beating a faster, supposedly more talented team by playing with toughness and togetherness.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2011, 10:14:12 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
this is a weird question.  i'm a boston sports fan through and through.  "it's root root root for the home teams!"
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2011, 12:58:48 AM »

Offline mucker

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 0
I would think you guys would be bothered.

Check HF Boards Bruins fourms...most B's fans, diehard B's fans, I know HATE HATE the Celtics, they hate sharing the garden with them and just can't stand them, to the point of rooting for them to fail.

They LOVE to brag about how in the 1960s last place B teams outsold Bill Russel teams and how hockey should be above hoops in Boston.

I would think most would be sad to see B's win since this puts them in the headline and may jeopardize the Celtics popularity as team 3 in town.

So Are The Celitcs Now 4th Most Popular In Boston?
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2011, 01:01:01 AM »

Offline mucker

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 0
Since the B's won the cup, are the Celtics now less popular than the Bruins?
Is the NHL bigger than the NBA, hockey bigger than hoops, and have B's surpassed the C's in town for popularity?

This is why I would think C's fans would be upset, you know people like Jack Edwards would LOVE to stick it to the C's that they are bigger currently.

Re: So Are The Celitcs Now 4th Most Popular In Boston?
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2011, 02:18:07 AM »

Offline WBrownTrophy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Thanks Red
A.) The NHL is nowhere near the NBA in popularity, just check the ratings for each finals series

B.) Yes, I think that if you had to rank them, the Celtics are currently the 4th team in the pecking order of Boston pro teams. If you want to look at ratings again, I believe that the Bruins did better in Boston ratings in the Stanley Cup than the Celtics have in either finals appearances in the last 3 years. They just won a championship...this is their moment,so they are obviously the more popular team right now.

One thing I do disagree with however, is that the Bruins have the most passionate fans...I think we got some pretty passionate Celts fans on this site :)
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."
                                   -Red Auerbach

« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2011, 05:39:40 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Not yet, but they will be after another season or two when they enter rebuilding.  The Red Sox are set up to be one of the best teams in the MLB for years to come, and the Patriots should be very well off until Brady (or Bellichick) retires.  The Bruins kind of had a magical run, I think, so it's possible they could go back to being just a middle of the road team like last year, but this championship will definitely rekindle interest in them. 

The Celtics are going to return to the basement soon (with the Revs being permanently stuck in the sub-basement).
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2011, 06:54:53 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
interesting to find out if there is much difference in being the most popular boston team and being the most popular team in boston.

ironically, i think the patriots have less fans in the "new england" region than the sox or celtics, but may carry more interest in certain areas in mass.

i can't speak for the city itself, but in my travels i've seen many more pure red sox and/or celtics fans in other parts of the country who do not care about the patriots or bruins, or who have adopted new nfl/nhl teams in their new locations. 

« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2011, 07:33:18 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
They are so unpopular people can't remember how to spell their name!  ;)
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2011, 07:43:46 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
The NBA is definitely bigger than the NHL, but the Celtics and Bruins right now might be a different story.

« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2011, 08:26:41 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Check HF Boards Bruins fourms...most B's fans, diehard B's fans, I know HATE HATE the Celtics, they hate sharing the garden with them and just can't stand them, to the point of rooting for them to fail.

They LOVE to brag about how in the 1960s last place B teams outsold Bill Russel teams and how hockey should be above hoops in Boston.

I would think most would be sad to see B's win since this puts them in the headline and may jeopardize the Celtics popularity as team 3 in town.

Do they give trophies to teams based on the popularity of the team in the town they play in?

As far as I can tell, all Boston teams have all the support from fans that they need. 

Coming on a Celtics board to talk about how this win will make the Bruins the "3rd team in Boston" sounds insecure about ones team.  And that just doesn't make sense since they just won the  Stanly Cup. 

Therefor the next though would be that such a statement sounds immature and jealous of the lifetime success the Celtics have had.

« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2011, 08:43:57 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Doesn't bother me one bit, and I don't get why fans of various sports would fight over "status" in the city.

« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2011, 08:46:47 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

My guess is Bruins fans who think like this just don't like basketball because they don't "settle it like men" on a daily basis. 

I like all the Boston teams.
Yup