Author Topic: Bruins trade for Kaberle, Peverley  (Read 6217 times)

Bruins trade for Kaberle, Peverley
« on: February 18, 2011, 02:01:53 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Boston Bruins made a flurry of moves on Friday, the biggest reportedly acquiring veteran defenseman Tomas Kaberle from the Toronto Maple Leafs.

The Bruins sent minor league forward Joe Colborne, a first-round pick in 2011 and another conditional draft pick to Toronto, TSN reported on Friday, citing unnamed sources.

The Bruins needed to clear cap space to absorb the remainder of Kaberle's $4.25 million salary this season, so they turned around and traded forward Blake Wheeler and defenseman Mark Stuart to the Atlanta Thrashers for center Rich Peverley and defenseman Boris Valabik, a league source told ESPNBoston.com's Joe Murphy.

Link

This may be being discussed elsewhere, but it probably deserves its own thread.  Kaberle is a big move for the Bruins.  They still need to do something to improve their offense (Peverley will help), but I like this move.

The great thing is that the Bruins still own Toronto's #1 pick this year, which could either be a nice trade piece or a pick used to build for the future.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Bruins trade for Kaberle, Peverley
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 02:04:32 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
Not sure how I feel about the deals.  Idk the players well enough, but I've heard that Kaberle is a puck moving defense which all B's fans know that is a weakness for the Bruins. 

I think the best part is that we still have Toronto's first rounder.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 03:16:40 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
The more I think about it, the more I love these trades.

First, the Kaberle trade.  Yes, they overpaid.  I think thats clear.  But does that matter?  They had the assets to trade, and they absolutely needed to make this deal.  I am not sure if this puts them over the top, but it at least gives them a shot. 

I also have a feeling Colborn is overrated.  Big forwards who play small bust all the time, and he really has not impressed that much in Providence.  He also was blocked from making it to Boston anytime soon.  The B's already have Krejci, Bergeron, Seguin, and even Hamill as top 3 line centers ahead of him, and in the long term plans for the team. 

Sure, they could have played hard ball and held out, but that is what they have done for years, and it hasn't worked.  Finally they actually made a move for an impact player, and risked overpaying for the chance to actually make some noise in the post season.

As for the second deal, it is great.  Peverly is not a super player, but he is significantly better than Wheeler, and should help this team. 

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 03:51:35 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
Big forwards who play small bust all the time, and he really has not impressed that much in Providence. 

Chris jw have you been to any P-Bruins games this year?  How have they looked?

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 03:56:14 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Big forwards who play small bust all the time, and he really has not impressed that much in Providence. 

Chris jw have you been to any P-Bruins games this year?  How have they looked?

I have not.  Honestly, it is just from reading reports, and looking at stats.  But Colborn is hyped as a skilled center who plays soft for his size.  However, the skills have not manifested them in a ton of points.  He has 12 goals and 14 assists in 55 games played.  For a guy who is billed as a top prospect, I expect more from him as a 21 year old in the AHL. 

Basically, from everything I have read, he sounds much closer to Wheeler than Joe Thornton. 

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 03:59:52 PM »

Offline bruinsandceltics

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 130
  • ANYTHING is posssiiibbbbllee
Bruins finally going for it. Not sure it if puts them over the top or not, but it certainly helps and I certainly think they are right there with Philly as favorites in the East.

But the better re-sign him at the price they paid.

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 11:04:32 PM »

Offline bruinsandceltics

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 130
  • ANYTHING is posssiiibbbbllee
B's are 5-0 since the trades.  ;D

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 11:12:04 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
B's are 5-0 since the trades.  ;D

Yeah they are on fire!!!! All on the road too.

I am really starting to believe in this team!