Author Topic: "Pick 2 Draft" 2011 Discussion Thread  (Read 120961 times)

Re: "Pick 2 Draft" 2011 Signup/Interest Thread (8+ SPOTS LEFT!)
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2011, 11:20:27 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

** Sign up, folks ... this is a ton of fun!! I haven't done a lot of fantasy stuff like some, but this is really quite easy and we had a blast last year! **

:)

What Bahku is trying to say is this is a really great opportunity to put your best foot forward on this blog if you are new.  If you are a long standing member that hasnt done anything like this before its a great way to keep people on their toes.

It is also pretty challenging, you really have to be on the ball and dont want to come out on the bad end of a trade looking like a heel.  

Also, while this is a game for fun if you do decide to play you can't just stick your toe in the water you really have to just jump right in and get into it.

I'd definitely agree if you are new it's a good way to be a little more active and get to know more people. When I first joined I joined the CB draft one summer when someone missed their pick in the first round.  Great way to have some fun too.

It was my first post!

I'd never know about KCatTheStripe's irrational man crush on Wes Matthews otherwise. I'd also never know that Mo Williams carries a tranmissable disease worse than the ebola virus

By the way , the most fair thing about contracting the teams is at least now someone has to elect to inflict Mo Williamsulosis on their team.

« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2011, 11:41:43 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
For the uninitiated, a story:

So in this draft last season I started out with the Nets (renamed the Nyets). I got to pick 2 players from that stalwart team, and pick 11th in the draft (as this was the fashion of the time) despite the Nets finishing with the leagues 2nd worst record or something.

So I stuck an onion in my belt, which was the style of the time, and picked Brook Lopez and Devin Harris to be my "keepers" and went to draftin' and a tradin'. The important thing was that I had an onion in my belt. You couldn't get the white ones because of the war. You could only get the big yellow ones.

So after much trades and deliberation I went from a Nets team that was 2nd to last in the league to a Nets team that looked as such (roosters updated for current production to make it look like I knew some of these guys would pan out)

PG: Devin Harris/Will Bynum/Eric Maynor
SG: Wes Matthews/Thabo Sefelosha
SF: Omri Casspi/Dorrell Wright
PF: Luis Scola/Ersan Ilyasova/Darius Songalia
C: Brook Lopez/David Andersen

I'm convinced this team would be a playoff team in either conference. Just too deep.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2011, 11:47:40 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

So in this draft last season I started out with the Nets (renamed the Nyets). I got to pick 2 players from that stalwart team, and pick 11th in the draft (as this was the fashion of the time) despite the Nets finishing with the leagues 2nd worst record or something.

So I stuck an onion in my belt, which was the style of the time, and picked Brook Lopez and Devin Harris to be my "keepers" and went to draftin' and a tradin'. The important thing was that I had an onion in my belt. You couldn't get the white ones because of the war. You could only get the big yellow ones.

So after much trades and deliberation I went from a Nets team that was 2nd to last in the league to a Nets team that looked as such (roosters updated for current production to make it look like I knew some of these guys would pan out)

I'm convinced this team would be a playoff team in either conference. Just too deep.

I'm not sure that "deep and full of mediocre players" wins you a playoff berth. ;)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2011, 11:53:35 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I'm not sure that "deep and full of mediocre players" wins you a playoff berth. ;)

Look Roy..some of us didn't get 2 potential MVP candidates (Westbrook/Durant) and the fourth overall pick despite having a playoff team to start with. Some of us didn't have the foresight to draft team oriented guys like Charlie Villnuava and Andray Blatche, or sleeper guys that absolutely exploded like Earl Clark and Sergio Lull. Some of us didn't have the raw, sheer, borderline scary psychic prowess to select Greg Oden 4th overall and ride his golden potential all the way to a guaranteed finals berth. Some of us, just had to make due.

;)

« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2011, 11:57:01 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

Really, because I remember the crotornats winning a title once.

« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2011, 11:57:46 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I apologize if this is mentioned elsewhere, but do contracts matter? Or is it similar to the summer draft where that's thrown out.

« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2011, 12:00:49 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I apologize if this is mentioned elsewhere, but do contracts matter? Or is it similar to the summer draft where that's thrown out.

Bonus points if you can figure out how your team will fit into the next CBA.    ;)

« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2011, 12:03:06 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200

Bonus points if you can figure out how your team will fit into the next CBA.    ;)

Downsizing? I have no problem with that. I have been recommending downsizing since I first got here. I even brought it up in my interview. I say, bring it on.

« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2011, 12:04:32 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

I feel offended  ;)

Are you callin Michael Reed mediocre?
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2011, 12:05:54 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge

I feel offended  ;)

Are you callin Michael Reed mediocre?

I think the word is "obsolete"  :P

« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2011, 12:09:13 PM »

Offline 33-00-32

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 2746
  • 2012 PAPTBG & 2013 PAPOUG CHAMPION
I would love to join the draft and have always wondered if you had to be an insider for these. My question would be....Do you have to be available all the time or just during the draft? I plan on being overseas for a couple of weeks in April.
G:Kemba,Payton,Hairston,Henderson,Lin
F:Parker,MKG,Budinger,Mirotic,Salmons
C:R.Lopez,Biyombo,Hickson
Coach: Shaka Smart
Rights to: Bog Bog

« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2011, 12:24:17 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I would love to join the draft and have always wondered if you had to be an insider for these. My question would be....Do you have to be available all the time or just during the draft? I plan on being overseas for a couple of weeks in April.

You'll be fine in that case. What we're looking for a pretty laid back system.

When we get all the guys who are in (which I hope to finalize before tomorrow night, hopefully), we'll outline the draft times.

Either one session rolling from midday-lunch and one after 6pm, or one rolling from morning to mid-morning and one after 6.

We're hoping that this does not consume your online life, unless you're into that kinda thing.

« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2011, 12:28:30 PM »

Offline 33-00-32

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 2746
  • 2012 PAPTBG & 2013 PAPOUG CHAMPION

You'll be fine in that case. What we're looking for a pretty laid back system.

When we get all the guys who are in (which I hope to finalize before tomorrow night, hopefully), we'll outline the draft times.

Either one session rolling from midday-lunch and one after 6pm, or one rolling from morning to mid-morning and one after 6.

We're hoping that this does not consume your online life, unless you're into that kinda thing.
Count me in then! :)
G:Kemba,Payton,Hairston,Henderson,Lin
F:Parker,MKG,Budinger,Mirotic,Salmons
C:R.Lopez,Biyombo,Hickson
Coach: Shaka Smart
Rights to: Bog Bog

« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2011, 12:46:55 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
By the way, if loving Wes Matthews is irrational than I don't want to be rational.

« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2011, 12:50:08 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
By the way, if loving Wes Matthews is irrational than I don't want to be rational.

Nobody ever thought that you wanted to be rational. Who told you that? The penguin? Cuz its too darn hot for a penguin to just be walking around here.