Author Topic: NFL Football 2010  (Read 79404 times)

Re: NFL Football 2010
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2010, 11:38:31 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
After watching the Cowboys game last night I stand by my opinion that Tony Romo might just be THE most over rated QB in the league surpassing Eli Manning for that honor. I personally don't think he's even a top 10 QB in the league but so many pundits love him and love the Cowboys. I just don't see it.

What 10 (or more) QB do you put ahead of Romo, then?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2010, 11:43:15 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
After watching the Cowboys game last night I stand by my opinion that Tony Romo might just be THE most over rated QB in the league surpassing Eli Manning for that honor. I personally don't think he's even a top 10 QB in the league but so many pundits love him and love the Cowboys. I just don't see it.

Thats an interesting question:

Aaron Rogers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady are all no brainers in my mind. But after that I think Romo is comparable to a lot of them.

« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2010, 12:12:56 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Great game by the pats, good to see. my thoughts

QB/Oline: thought both looked sharp, even Matt light, who i have been on for years because the speed rush destroys him, was kicking butt.

Tom looked sharp as well, missed on that one deep ball to a wide open randy early, but for the most part looked like the tom we all know and love.

WR/TE: just so awesome to see Wes back, i jumped up out of my chair when he scored that first TD. also, speaking of that first TD, i think it really showed off the versatility of the three TE's we have. That quick screen to wes can be deadly all year with how fast Hernandez and gronk are combined with thier blocking abilities. It's nearly like getting wes the ball behind two undersized O-linemen. Love to see more of that.

Also nice plays by tate, moss and hernadez. Everyone looked sharp.

Defense: I loved what i saw out of this unit, just the energy and the SPEED. great early return to form by mayo (16 tackles!) and i like the rotation at the will with guyton/spikes. That macordy (sp, hurrying to finish this before i go to class) is going to be a player. Safties looked good, my one concern is that both merriweather and chung are hitting safeties, which i love, but would be nice to have a cover guy back there. Sanders is aqaqate at coverage but not good.

Overall i think they just need to keep up that energy and speed. They'll still make mistakes, but ill take mistakes from being over aggressive to mistakes from being passive and unsure any day of the week.

Also, and i know i'm probably firmly in the minority here, but was anyone else not really annoyed by what randy said?

I mean, i was annoyed by the timing, yes. but since there's no good time to get something like that out there, and if he really does not speak to the media after week 1 about it and just bust his tail going forward im fine with it.

I mean, removing the "pro athlete" from it for a minute, if i worked on contract and i had 6 months left to work, and my boss had not even discussed my future with me, I'd be [pee]ed too.

I know we all love how the patriots do business and wait until they get the full value of a guy out of their contract before they even bother to start negotiations (ala mankins) in an effort to show no one is above the team, and your contract will be done if and when we say it's done, but i can see how that wears on players. It would wear on me.

mainly, this is what i took from the randy stuff:

1. Seems like some in the media don't like me, spin anything i say negatively (true, looking at you felger, borges, ect. Hell, felger is still butthurt that he called the moss signing a huge flop, bashed him and the pats for 4 months leading up to 2007, and then got proven wrong for 3 straight years of 1000 yard 10 TD seasons. he's salivating for moss to fail on his show every afternoon) and want to see me fail.

VERDICT: true, zo, another anti moss guy, asked him a combative question about whether he hates the media the second question in and tried to get him to turn on his teammates with the "do you know how bad you look to your teammates right now?" question.

2. I want to stay a patriot, i love it here, and would sign here if offered a contract. however, i understand this is a buisness, and since they havent contacted me at all, through my agent or myself, i suspect i'll be moving on.

VERDICT: true, and i'm confused as to why people don't like him saying this. The patriots key to success has been evaluating when they have gotten max value out of a guy and then cutting all ties and moving on. happened with law, lawyer, asante, willy, ect. they have clearly made the determination that moss will not be worth it after this year. Ok, i'm on board with that, but im not going to slurp the pats koolaid like WEEI and say that Randy's out of line for detailing the fact that the Patriots don't open the check book for veterans.

The patriots don't overpay for vets unless its a special case, like Tom. What outrage am i supposed to feel over him saying they are following their business practice and he understands that, but it still sucks because he wants to be here but appears not to be in thier plans going forward?

3. No matter what i say about the contract, it's going to get spun. So i just want to put out their that I'm going to work hard, play some [dang] good football, and I'm not retiring at the end of the year. I don't want you guys writing that i'm unhappy and a cancer when i have a bad game, thats going to happen.

VERDICT: see, i think this is why were seeing the media outrage and the attempt to make it out like Randy was so out of line yesterday comes from. you KNOW this is what they were going to do ALL YEAR. heck, they took one comment last weekend and ran a "does randy moss hate the patriots?" week over at the globe, WEEI, and the sports hub which led to what randy said yesterday.

This cuts them off at the knees, and they are butthurt over it. They are still going to say it every time he has a bad game, but now it's not as juicy and easy to write story, espically if randy just says "i said what i'm going to say week 1, no comment" everytime they try to turn the screws.

Now the media doesn't get it's built in 17 weeks of juicy quotes it can spin and they hate it.

I for one DO NOT CARE boston media, I care about what he does on Sunday. considering Tom's comments on D & C this morning that he understands where randy is at and so does the rest of the locker room, the players, who matter way more than the media, despite what the papers and radio think of themselves, then I'm fine with it.

If randy continues to play like he did yesterday, and run out his routes all day (heck he even took a screen pass back across the middle, which given his aversion to contact with LB's and safeties is rare) then I'm very ok with him cutting a distraction off at the knees and getting his side out there.

/rant off, and i know I'll most likely be in the vast minority on the issue, but thats my .02 cents.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2010, 12:45:13 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
What didn't you like about his performance?

I saw an offense that wasted too many downs trying to get Dez Bryant the ball in space, when there was none, and an offensive line that failed epically.

He needed to be more accurate with the ball last night, but I don't think accuracy is typically one of his flaws.

The two INTs he would have thrown if Carlos Rodgers could hold onto the ball that hits him in the hands (and who ever dropped the other pass) on a 4th quarter possible game winning drive.  His end of the 1st quarter lateral. 

He is the NFL version of T-Mac.  Gaudy stats in the regular season, chokes in the clutch. 

Manning, Brady, Brees, Manning, Rodgers, McNabb, Flaco, Big Ben, Rivers, and Ryan are all QBs I would take over Romo. 

« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2010, 12:53:34 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I'll play don, this list is assuming we are talking about this year, not long term. Thus, the lack of the "tony's young and has upside argument" snuck some guys on.

1.Manning
2.Brady
3.Brees
4. Rivers
5. rogers
6. ryan
7.schaub
8.Carlson Palmer
9. Farve (ugh, god i hate myself, but i would take him over romo)
10.Eli

oh crap i forgot Big ben and Flaco....so i guess he's somewhere around 12th for me.

I'll give you that you could argue the last 3 vs. romo, but considering every stinking time there's a list of top QB's on TV, he's number 5 or 6, i think he's vastly overated as well.

To me, he's in that "wont hurt you to much" class, far behind the first "franchise" tier with brees, manning, and brady in it and a step below the "very good QB" tier that has guys 4-10 in it.

To me, you could have plugged any adequate QB into their offense for the last 3 years and would have gotten similar results. They have a fantastic ground game and good WR's.

Now they have O-line issues, and Romo suddenly looks very average, much like any average QB with a meh O-line.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2010, 01:03:11 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Agreed.  I also don't see how the Cowboys are a SB team.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2010, 01:16:56 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Agreed.  I also don't see how the Cowboys are a SB team.

I think they're a playoff team with some glaring issues but I can't put them in "Super Bowl contender status", myself.  Having Wade Phillips as your coach doesn't help matters, either.

There are certainly a few teams in the NFC that I place above Dallas without hesitation; New Orleans and Green Bay certainly come to mind.  Minnesota has some question marks but I'd put ahead of Dallas, also.  I'm not even sure if Dallas is the best team in the NFC East.  Giants certainly have the potential to have a bounceback year.

« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2010, 01:17:40 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I'll play don, this list is assuming we are talking about this year, not long term. Thus, the lack of the "tony's young and has upside argument" snuck some guys on.

1.Manning
2.Brady
3.Brees
4. Rivers
5. rogers
6. ryan
7.schaub
8.Carlson Palmer
9. Farve (ugh, god i hate myself, but i would take him over romo)
10.Eli

oh crap i forgot Big ben and Flaco....so i guess he's somewhere around 12th for me.

I'll give you that you could argue the last 3 vs. romo, but considering every stinking time there's a list of top QB's on TV, he's number 5 or 6, i think he's vastly overated as well.

To me, he's in that "wont hurt you to much" class, far behind the first "franchise" tier with brees, manning, and brady in it and a step below the "very good QB" tier that has guys 4-10 in it.

To me, you could have plugged any adequate QB into their offense for the last 3 years and would have gotten similar results. They have a fantastic ground game and good WR's.

Now they have O-line issues, and Romo suddenly looks very average, much like any average QB with a meh O-line.

Thats not a bad list.  Personally though, I think Romo is pretty even with the rest of the second third tier of guys (Favre, Ryan, Palmer, Shaub, and Eli).

I would break it down like this:

Elite: Brady, Manning, Brees
Knocking on the door: Rivers Rogers
Very good starting QB, who can win you or lose you a game: Favre, Ryan, Palmer, Shaub, Eli, Romo, Rothelisberger, possibly Flacco (ask me tomorrow)

« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2010, 02:50:41 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Donovan McNabb has got to be on that top 10 list somewhere.....

He's taken Philly far most of the time he was there. He'll eventually do the same in Washington.

He's a top ten Quarterback in my book.

« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2010, 02:58:12 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
In my mind, the phrase "Cowboys Football" evokes the following:

dumb penalties, often at crucial moments
dumb coaching decisions, often at crucial moments
critical mistakes, often at crucial moments

A perennial playoff team that consistently shoots itself in the foot in big game situations.

And, as Dons alluded to, I'll never fear a team coached by Wade Phillips.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2010, 03:30:49 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, but this is EPIC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeq2_Of3cHU

« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2010, 03:53:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Glad I don't have to type out the answer to which 10 were ahead of Romo and thanks for everyone that answered for me. I am also glad to see that many see things the same way I do about the guy. He is great in the regular season and a major choke artist when the games get important or tight in the end.

« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2010, 10:18:01 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
Well, the Ravens are still up late in the fourth (as I feared), however the Reds just beat the Diamondbacks for the 3rd time this season after losing to the Pirates last night. I'm hoping that the Jets can get a field goal or something here so that the Bengals have a chance to recover by next weekend...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 07:26:53 PM by Witch-King »
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2010, 10:32:30 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Glad I don't have to type out the answer to which 10 were ahead of Romo and thanks for everyone that answered for me. I am also glad to see that many see things the same way I do about the guy. He is great in the regular season and a major choke artist when the games get important or tight in the end.

Romo is one of the greatest chokers of all time, unfortunately, because he's got a wealth of talent. This will be unpopular, too, but despite Peyton Manning's god-like reputation, he has just not seemed to put it together consistently in the "Big" games, either ... sadly, another epic choker, more times than not. ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2010, 10:33:40 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Jets offense looked pathetic tonight. Sanchez was awful.

Now they're 0-1 and facing a retooled Patriots team next week.  Good luck with that.  ::)

Talk is cheap.