Author Topic: Brian Zoubek anyone?  (Read 12772 times)

Re: Brian Zoubek anyone?
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2010, 04:25:38 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I see Zoubek as a little like Scala without the outside shot. A little quicker and bigger, yet not as good.

One thing I learned a long time ago from watching good old Serge Zwicker from UNC - if they are the biggest player on the floor by a bit in college, yet not at all the best on the floor - then they probably won't do much of anything in the NBA.

If they struggle to dominate guys smaller than them don't expect them to suddenly be able to help in the NBA.

I don't see a relation between Scola and Zoubek at all.  In fact i think they're probably closer to being complete opposites.  Scola is something of a finness player who has soft hands, great on and off-ball awareness offensively, and is a versitile scorer who you can't leave unguarded from about 20 feet-in.  Zoubek on the other hand is a big banger who specializes in establishing terrific rebounding position once the ball is in the air, but i would say that once he has the ball in his hands he doesn't have the slightest idea what to do with it other than kick it out to a wing player.

Is "Scala" a hybrid between Scola and Scalabrine?

I thought eja was describing Zoubek as a poor man's Scalabrine.  I definitely agree that I don't see a Scola comparison.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2010, 04:38:39 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I only saw Zoubek play for 2-3 minutes but he looked like a poor man's version of James Augustine to me.

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2010, 05:10:26 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Absolutely not, I've been watching him since he started playing at Duke (I went to BC) and he is not good. Period.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2010, 05:14:35 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2010, 10:57:35 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2010, 06:28:54 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I thought a point of emphasis this offseason was to get more athletic...
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2010, 05:02:16 PM »

Offline boston.balla

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
I only saw Zoubek play for 2-3 minutes but he looked like a poor man's version of James Augustine to me.

Augustine is becoming a fairly decent player.

Players like Zoubek only have a very marginal place in today's NBA. The game is too fast and too quick for this type of big man. I wouldn't waste a draft pick on him, there's no upside in him and you can only grab similar players through a D-League call-up or something. I like the way he sets screens, but I'd be worried he'd hurt someone in practice.

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2010, 11:40:36 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Augustine is becoming a fairly decent player.

Players like Zoubek only have a very marginal place in today's NBA. The game is too fast and too quick for this type of big man. I wouldn't waste a draft pick on him, there's no upside in him and you can only grab similar players through a D-League call-up or something. I like the way he sets screens, but I'd be worried he'd hurt someone in practice.
Agreed on all counts.

I'd like to see Augustine come back to the NBA. He played very well in summer league last season, I was surprised nobody picked him up. A good end of bench, or just outside the rotation, type reserve.