Author Topic: Who's "Pick-Two" Teams' Analysis  (Read 9707 times)

Re: Who's "Pick-Two" Teams' Analysis
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2010, 07:31:34 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Detroit Pistons (Redz)

Detroit Pistons (Redz)-
Raymond Felton, Jason Terry, Rasual Butler, Andrea Bargnani, Marcus Camby
Beno Udrih, Rodney Stuckey, Udonis Haslem, Josh Powell, Rasho Nesterovic, Kosta Koufos

A strange roster ...
  • Four point guards with Stuckey, Felton, Terry and Udrih.
  • Only one wing player and he doesn't rebound the ball -- so perimeter rebounding will be a major issue to watch ... actually, with Bargnani, rebounding on a whole will be a major problem
  • A varied mix of big men -- Bargnani + Camby + Haslem +
I like the big man rotation overall. Not a big Bargnani fan but he's been oddly successful this season. I dislike the Camby + Bargnani combination defensively but I guess it's okay. So long as Bargnani is the center because he'd be massacred defensively as a power forward. Camby has done a good enough job as a four for the Clippers but I still prefer him as a five. Actually, I retract that, so long as Bargnani is the five + Camby the four, I'm happy enough with that combination ... and I like having Udonis Haslem as the first big off the bench. A true power forward who can do a better job against those players. Gives the Pistons more matchup flexibility.

I also love the depth beyond them with Rasho Nesterovic (fourth big), Josh Powell (fifth big), Kosta Koufous (sixth big). Excellent depth. All quality players in those respective roles.

However, the perimeter play is a real problem for me. All those point guards. None of whom are all that great as creators. All of whom are best off at the point and not the two. Then Rasual Butler as the glue guy to hold it together? Emm ... I don't think it will work well enough.

Still, the Pistons should hover close to .500. In that mid-to-high 30s range. And if things click very well they could finish slightly above .500.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2010, 07:32:40 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Golden State Warriors (BassThumper)

Golden State Warriors (Bass Thumper)-
Jason Williams, Monta Ellis, Brian Scalabrine, Leon Powe, Andres Biedrins
Carlos Arroyo, Tony Allen, Brian Cardinal, Matt Bonner, Brad Miller
I'd pay to see this roster just to see this collection of players. A fun mix.

But not a talented group. They're the worst team in the league. A team that struggles to 20 wins. If Powe was healthy, they could win 25-28 games if they were truly committed but they'd likely fall apart from their failures. Similar to the NJ Nets this season.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2010, 07:33:46 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Los Angeles Clippers (Atzar)

Los Angeles Clippers (Atzar)-
Ricky Rubio, James Harden, Rudy Gay, Blake Griffin, Joakim Noah
Rafer Alston, Daniel Gibson, Jarvis Hayes, Marquis Daniels, Mareese Speights
I think Blake Griffin and Joakim Noah, plus a low level but serviceable supporting cast, could lead the Clippers to 30+ wins by themselves. Griffin is a major talent and Noah's defense + rebounding creates one heck of a foundation to build off of.

Add the abilities of Ricky Rubio + Rudy Gay + James Harden and talent wise you're looking at a 45 win team. A solid all-round team that does good work offensively + defensively + on the backboards.

Then consider the upside to each player and how much they could improve over the next few years ... beautiful. The Clippers are heading down a bright road and will very likely become a contender in a couple of seasons.

I don't like the bench but that's neither here or there because this team is all about the future. About the future that it's starting lineup creates. Marreese Speights, though, he could play a role in the Clips future too. Only reserve who's likely to last beyond this season. Well, maybe Gibson too, but preferably not.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2010, 07:35:16 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Sacramento Kings (Truck Lweis)

Sacramento Kings (Truck Lewis)-
Tyreke Evans, Corey Brewer, Caron Butler, Jeff Green, Andrew Bynum
Kyle Lowry, David West, Al Thornton, Marcus Thornton, Jared Dudley

This is one of my favourite teams in the league due to the mix of talent.

I think Tyreke Evans + Andrew Bynum + Jeff Green is an excellent core to build around. I think that trio could make a top 10 offensive team if surrounded with complementary players. They'd combine to score 55 points a night easily and would give every team in the league nightmares matchup wise. The size and interior play of Bynum, the perimeter orientated play at PF of Green, and the size/power of Tyreke Evans at the point. I also think they could be the foundation to an above average defensive team and an above average rebounding team. Overall, they could lead the Kings to 53+ win season comfortably.

Add another impact player on the wing and they're a contender. Or, add higher quality role players and just give that trio some time to grow and they'll become a contender by themselves.

However, I don't think the rest of the team complements that trio effectively enough to fulfill all of that. I think Caron Butler is too demanding offensively. Needs too many touches, too many shot attempts. I think he'll have a negative impact offensively and curb his teammates effectiveness.

I also think Corey Brewer is a low level but serviceable fit alongside our Big Three ... but a problem when placed alongside Butler. I don't like the idea of the two of them together.

I also worry about David West. A player who will definitely have problems accepting a secondary role behind those three players. He'll take too many shot attempts while only scoring at a mediocre clip + limit his teammates' offensive opportunities as a result.

Again, same issue with Al Thornton. A player who is only comfortable offensively as a go-to scorer. Struggles to fit into a team based offense. Efficiency a concern again.

Marcus Thornton is another shot happy player that will take touches away from others. He will, however, fit into a team structure offensively and he won't be quite as aggressive in terms of looking for his own stats as Butler or West.

I like Kyle Lowry a great deal but I'd rather see a point guard with shooting ability. Someone who is a better fit alongside Tyreke Evans to allow them to play together. To give opponents a great deal of discomfort with the Kings ability to change matchups and create different problems for opponents. I think a Lowry + Evans backcourt is a very poor jump shooting combination and that they would put a lot of pressure on the frontcourt for spacing.

I love Jared Dudley. An excellent complementary offensive weapon, a solid defender and a good rebounder. He is the right sort of role player to play alongside the Big Three.

Continuing with the matchups flexibility + ability to create problems for opponents -- I like the idea of a big frontcourt of Green + West + Bynum. That could be a good weapon for Sacramento. Not a first choice lineup though because Green is needed at power forward to facilitate the offense.

-----------------------------------------------------

If I was given the Evans + Bynum + Green trio and allowed the choice between:

Butler + West + Lowry + Brewer + Thornton + Dudley + Thornton

or

Casspi + Garcia + Nocioni + Thompson + Hawes + Udrih

I would choose the Kings current cast of characters. I think they would be more effective as a supporting cast. I think they'd allow the Kings main trio to blossom. To fulfill their talent and to create an amazing foundation for everyone else to play off of.

------------------------------------------------

Still, I think the Kings will be a good team. The talent of their three best players is too good ignore. A certain playoff team that wins in the high 40s.

The team could also find a lot of internal improvement down the road if Evans rounds out his game as facilitator + improves his jump shot. Also, if several other players accepted their reduced roles offensively. If they committed themselves to their new roles. This team could then become a 60 win powerhouse. A couple of big "ifs" but interesting nonetheless.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2010, 07:37:19 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Washington Wizards/Bullets (Evantime34)

Washington Bullets (Evantime34)-
Steve Nash, Manu Ginobili, Vince Carter, Andrei Kirilenko, Tyson Chandler
Sergio Rodriguez, Willie Green, CJ Miles, Tracy McGrady, Amir Johnson, Hasheem Thabeet

I love the Andrei Kirilenko + Tyson Chandler combination. I also love their backups Amir Johnson and Hasheem Thabeet. I think those four players will give the Bullets a great foundation defensively to build the rest of the team off of.

Kirilenko is an All-Star caliber power forward who'll make an excellent all-round contribution to your side at the four. He'll facilitate your transition game both offensively and defensively. He'll be a mismatch problem offensively and above average in terms of passing + ball handling + shooting ability for a power forward. Kirilenko will also be a good go-to scoring option (15-17ppg) at the four. As well as the creative destruction that he provides defensively. The chaos. The turnovers he make happen. The shots he'll intimidate around the rim.

I'm not sure what to make of Tyson Chandler's play this season but I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt going forward. I think he's still able to be a double double guy or close to it. And a very good interior defender.

I'm a fan of Hasheem Thabeet's game. He reminds me of Sam Dalembert. He's a good defender with very good-to-excellent potential. And a good rebounder with excellent potential. An efficient + effective garbage man offensively.

Actually, I'd give the same description to Amir Johnson. Although he's more of a PF than a C. His size + length will be a nice contrast to the smaller Kirilenko where needed.

Likewise, I'm a big fan of the Steve Nash + Manu Ginobili backcourt. I think those two + the big man rotation will lead the Bullets to a 55-60 win season.

Then there's Vince Carter. I don't like him starting alongside Ginobili and Nash. Not enough basketballs to go around. Either Manu or Carter would be best served by coming off the bench and allowing a role player to slide in take those minutes. Ideally a player like Martell Webster.

I have no faith in Tracy McGrady. I'm not convinced he's a rotation player in this league anymore and I think he'll cause massive problems on the Wizards roster offensively because he won't accept being so low in the pecking order offensively. He'll want more touches, more shot attempts, more opportunities to effect the game and he will disrupt your team's offense as a result. Similar to last season with the Rockets but to a larger extreme because your Bullets' squad has more firepower than that Rockets team had.

I think Sergio Rodriguez is a good backup point guard and I love seeing him behind Steve Nash. Another uptempo playmaking point guard. He'll be able to sustain the team's style of play and limit the drop off from Nash sitting on the bench.

I think CJ Miles and Willie Green are serviceable second wings off the bench but neither is fit to start.

If the Wizards were able to add a role player and moved Vince Carter to the sixth man role, then I'd consider them a legitimate contender. Without that personnel change, I consider the Wizards a highly talented regular season team but an outside contender come playoff team (like the Utah Jazz for the last 2-3 years).

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2010, 07:38:35 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Minnesota Timberwolves (Fafnir)

Minnesota Timberpuppies (Fafnir)-
Darren Collison, Rudy Fernandez, Luol Deng, Al Jefferson, Kevin Love
Luke Ridnour, Daequan Cook, Chase Buddinger, Anthony Randolph Nick Collison

A good team. I very much like the perimeter trio of Collison + Rudy + Deng. Especially the idea of Deng + Rudy in the Triangle offense where I think both would flourish. Albeit not Collison.

Luke Ridnour is a very good backup point guard. Budinger is a solid backup wing and Cook is serviceable. So good depth across the perimeter too.

Anthony Randolph has excellent potential and there's a good chance he's the Wolves' best player three/four years from now. A potential All-NBA guy. Not all that great in the present tense though (very poor defense + decision-making issues offensively). Collison and Randolph combine to give the Wolves good big man depth behind Love + Big Al.

I don't think it matters a great deal whether you start Randolph ahead of Love or not. Randolph would make your starting team worse defensively but Love is one heck of an impact player off the bench. Love would make up any negatives Randolph brings as a starter when going up against opposing bench players.

Kevin Love and Al Jefferson create a lot of value with their rebounding + offensive play. They create a lot of negative value through their poor defensive performances too.

The lack of big man defense holds the team back and stops them from being a 50-55 win team. I think they'd be somewhere in the high 40s. A good team. A playoff caliber team.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2010, 07:39:49 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
San Antonio Spurs (CelticsClay)

San Antonio Spurs (celticsclay)-
Jarrett Jack, Stephen Jackson, Shawn Marion, Tim Duncan, Samuel Dalembert
Chris Duhon, Leandro Barbosa, Roger Mason, Jr., Larry Hughes, Darrell Arthur, Tony Battie

Acquiring Stephen Jackson was a major boost to the Spurs defense. From shooting guard to center they have a sensational combination of defensive players. And an average defensive point guard in Jack who'll look very good playing alongside those other players. The Spurs will be an elite team defensively.

Tim Duncan will remain the first option offensively. Stephen Jackson the second option. In terms of being a contender, that's asking a lot of Jackson. No true third scorer and possibly Barbosa as a fourth scorer. Offensively, not a lot of options. I'd expect the Spurs to be below average offensively.

San Antonio will be phenomenal on the backboards with a starting frontcourt of Duncan + Dalmebert + Marion.

I also like Marion's ability to play the PF position and allow the Spurs to play a smaller quicker lineup. Something the current Spurs cannot do and sorely miss. The addition of Stephen Jackson also gives the a wing with good size + defensive ability + playmaking ability which is a great fit in this smaller lineup. San An could then play Barbosa at the two alongside Jack. A more potent offensive lineup.

I don't like the backup bigs of Arthur + Battie. I don't think Battie is a rotation player in this league anymore. Best served as a sixth big in the rotation or a serviceable fifth big. Arthur is a good second big off the bench but not ready to be the main reserve big man.

A lot of similar options in the backcourt with Barbosa, Mason Jr and Duhon. Not enough minutes to go around. Best to trade one of these to land a better backup wing than Larry Hughes.

The Spurs would be somewhat similar in overall quality to the 2004 Detroit Pistons. A completely different type of offensive team but that top heavy defense + solid and highly opportunistic offense. A very difficult team to play against and murder to beat come playoff time. A contender.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2010, 07:41:09 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Charlotte Bobcats (Crownsy)

Charlotte Bobcats (crownsy)-
Tony Parker, Mikael Pietrus, Gerald Wallace, Troy Murphy, Brendan Haywood
Mike Conley, Eddie House, Nick Young, Glen Davis, Kwame Brown

I preferred the team with Stephen Jackson. I thought his playmaking + mismatch potential at the point was a great creative force for the team. More so than Parker. I'm not sure Gerald Wallace plays as well off of Parker as he does with Jackson. I also loved the three man defensive ability of Jacks + Wallace + Pietrus on the wing and the flexibility to go smaller with Wallace at the four and those two on the wing.

That said, Parker is the much better asset to be holding going forward.

I'm not a fan of the Troy Murphy or Glen Davis selections. I think those two players are two slow + too poor with their team defense and with their man-to-man defense. I think they'll downgrade the Bobcats defense significantly.

I do enjoy the Haywood + Kwame combination at center. Two quality defensive players who'll give you good service in the paint doing the dirty work.

I wasn't sure if Mike Conley was still on the team or not but if he is ... he's an excellent backup point guard. Himself and Tony Parker will be one of the best 1-2 punches in the league at the point.

I think the Bobcats will be close to .500. Mainly due to Haywood + Wallace + Pietrus + Parker. I think they'll do most of the heavy lifting.

* BAHKU MUSIC *