Author Topic: PATS vs RAVENS (1.10.10) AFC Wild Card  (Read 36957 times)

Re: PATS vs RAVENS (1.10.10) AFC Wild Card
« Reply #180 on: January 10, 2010, 06:32:35 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Well, season's over.

Now here's hoping the Pats can package their, what #23 pick in the first round, with their two picks in 2011's first round and can trade up and draft Ndamukong Suh. The they can resign free agent Richard Seymour, resign Wilfork and trade Warren. A front line of Seymour, Suh and Wilfork would certainly re-establish their defensive line.

Of course, hoping and dreaming and reality are very different things.

I dont think seymour is coming anywhere near NE again.  And in an uncapped year teams have two franchise tags.  I have to think one will be used on seymour by oakland. 

Also, while Suh would be a dream, I dont want them to trade away picks just to get older.  And nobody on that D-line is going to produce much of a pass rush which was their achilies heel all season. 

I don't think seymor is exactly thrilled in oakland. Why would he be against coming back to old friends and teammates?

« Reply #181 on: January 10, 2010, 06:55:38 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Well, season's over.

Now here's hoping the Pats can package their, what #23 pick in the first round, with their two picks in 2011's first round and can trade up and draft Ndamukong Suh. The they can resign free agent Richard Seymour, resign Wilfork and trade Warren. A front line of Seymour, Suh and Wilfork would certainly re-establish their defensive line.

I dont think seymour is coming anywhere near NE again.  And in an uncapped year teams have two franchise tags.  I have to think one will be used on seymour by oakland. 

Also, while Suh would be a dream, I dont want them to trade away picks just to get older.  And nobody on that D-line is going to produce much of a pass rush which was their achilies heel all season. 

I don't think seymor is exactly thrilled in oakland. Why would he be against coming back to old friends and teammates?

Because we sent him there instead of signing him to an extension
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #182 on: January 10, 2010, 07:13:14 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Well, season's over.

Seymour's possible at small money, but I think at the bottom of all of this is that Bellichick looked at Brady in the preseason and realized that he was going to have an off year coming off the knee injury.  Once he realized that, he knew he needed to gear up for 2010-2011.  I think that's why Seymour and Vrabel are gone.  He knew they might help this year, but didn't think they could hold up two more years.  Thus, he retooled with younger players who would be ready for next season when Brady is healthy. 

I don't think it's over for the Pats.  For all their flaws, their secondary has more talent than it's had for a number of years.  With another year, it should start to pay dividends.  Add some draft picks and free agents, as well as a healthy Brady, and I think they're the best in the AFC East again and ready to challenge for a Super Bowl. 

« Reply #183 on: January 10, 2010, 07:21:58 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Seymour's possible at small money, but I think at the bottom of all of this is that Bellichick looked at Brady in the preseason and realized that he was going to have an off year coming off the knee injury.  Once he realized that, he knew he needed to gear up for 2010-2011.  I think that's why Seymour and Vrabel are gone.  He knew they might help this year, but didn't think they could hold up two more years.  Thus, he retooled with younger players who would be ready for next season when Brady is healthy. 

I don't think it's over for the Pats.  For all their flaws, their secondary has more talent than it's had for a number of years.  With another year, it should start to pay dividends.  Add some draft picks and free agents, as well as a healthy Brady, and I think they're the best in the AFC East again and ready to challenge for a Super Bowl. 

Interesting take, but I would hope that Belichick didn't punt the season based upon Brady's health.  First, even with an inferior QB in Cassel last season, the team was pretty good.  Second, Brady didn't have his best season, but it still was well above average.  Lastly, I don't think there was any reason to anticipate that Brady would have an off year.  Last year, Manning came back from knee surgery (although not as serious of an injury) and struggled for a few weeks, before playing like a Pro Bowler.  I don't think it was possible in the pre-season to know that Brady wasn't going to have what it took.

I think the Pats are in trouble going forward.  Moss is looking less and less dominant, and both the defense and the offensive line need major upgrades.  I think they're too far behind their competition to realistically become a dominant team again (although I'll readily admit that that may be wishful thinking on my part.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #184 on: January 10, 2010, 07:25:37 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

Interesting take, but I would hope that Belichick didn't punt the season based upon Brady's health.  First, even with an inferior QB in Cassel last season, the team was pretty good.  Second, Brady didn't have his best season, but it still was well above average.  Lastly, I don't think there was any reason to anticipate that Brady would have an off year.  Last year, Manning came back from knee surgery (although not as serious of an injury) and struggled for a few weeks, before playing like a Pro Bowler.  I don't think it was possible in the pre-season to know that Brady wasn't going to have what it took.

I think the Pats are in trouble going forward.  Moss is looking less and less dominant, and both the defense and the offensive line need major upgrades.  I think they're too far behind their competition to realistically become a dominant team again (although I'll readily admit that that may be wishful thinking on my part.)

I don't know if he entirely punted the season, but I think he knew that guys like Vrabel and Seymour may have been on their last leg.  He knew that he'd have to retool at some point, and figured it might as well be the year that Brady might not be himself. 

As for getting dominant again, if this was basketball, I'd agree with you.  However, team's fortunes dramatically change in football year to year.  With the ability to cut players outright, a ton of draft picks, and potentially an uncapped offseason, the Patriots can dramatically change their fortunes next year.  Of course, just because they can doesn't mean they will. 

« Reply #185 on: January 10, 2010, 07:55:58 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Their lines dont really need an upgrade Roy.  They allowed 15 sacks in the first 16 games, and that was with injuries all year long.  Including having current and former probowlers at almost every spot on the line.  They move Light to right tackle and vollmer at left and they are set. 

Their d-line has wilfork who is arguably the best at his position in the NFl.  And warren who when healthy has been more than adequate throughout his career.  The only spot they really have a spot of need in is the one that used to be held by warren. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #186 on: January 10, 2010, 08:01:49 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

The pats need an upgrade at Running back. I really hope the love affair with old washed up running backs is over. Fred Taylor and Sammy morris are undependable. In my mind Maroney has run out of chances. If we can draft someone high up or somehow make a trade for an establihed RB (Marion Barber could be available) it would help immensely. Shore up the defensive line and add a third string wide receiver and the team will be much improved. I know thats a lot of work, but its more hope then say the lions.

« Reply #187 on: January 11, 2010, 03:08:02 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Hate to say it, but the Pats suck, especially without Welker ... I had a feeling they'd fall apart without him. Time for retooling ... around Tom and Wes.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *