Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 953676 times)

Re: What's the Last Movie You Watched?
« Reply #3465 on: December 23, 2022, 02:38:01 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
Top Gun 2: Maverick

I finally gave in and watched it On Demand. OMG, it's awful.
They even drag the carcass of poor ol' Val Kilmer, who is recovering from throat cancer in real life, into this melodrama.
Just a 2-hour+ ego fix for Tom Cruise.

Val Kilmer has throat cancer in real life? Wow, I didn't know that. I thought the movie was entertaining but I also think it's the kind of movie that works better on the big screen.

I'm not a big fan of Tom Cruise and his gigantic ego and some of the forced PC aspect that was injected in the film put me off, so that bias contributed to my negative opinion. But it was a bit of a cheesy melodrama without the charm of the first Top Gun.

I watched on my 75" LG in a relatively small room, so I was able to enjoy all the graphics and the spectacular fighting scenes at full blast. They were absolutely amazing. I don't know how they were able to film some of the flying - not sure how much was modern film tech and how much was real. Didn't mean to diminish that part of the film. It lived up to the hype in that regard.

I found the use of Val Kilmer's real-life illness in the plot of the film was distasteful.
Then again, it was apparently ok with Kilmer, so who am I to say.

How many here heard the tirade Cruise went on a couple of years back on the set of one of his Mission Impossible films, when he insulted and threatened the jobs of every cast and crew member who were on site and dared to take off a covid mask, regardless of the circumstance or time period involved. Pure self-righteous ego.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 03:14:25 AM by tenn_smoothie »
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #3466 on: December 23, 2022, 08:11:37 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I've watched Black Adam and Bullet Train over the last couple of days.  My coworker called Black Adam, aggressively mediocre, and I think that is the perfect description.  I enjoyed the JSA stuff more than the Black Adam stuff, and Pierce Brosnan as Dr. Fate is just a real treat. 

Bullet Train is fantastic.  I highly recommend that one if you like that sort of movie.  The action sequences are solid, the humor injected by Pitt is great, and I love all of the cameos.  Channing Tatum's in particular is just great. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3467 on: December 23, 2022, 10:10:29 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I've watched Black Adam and Bullet Train over the last couple of days.  My coworker called Black Adam, aggressively mediocre, and I think that is the perfect description.  I enjoyed the JSA stuff more than the Black Adam stuff, and Pierce Brosnan as Dr. Fate is just a real treat. 

Bullet Train is fantastic.  I highly recommend that one if you like that sort of movie.  The action sequences are solid, the humor injected by Pitt is great, and I love all of the cameos.  Channing Tatum's in particular is just great.

Bullet Train definitely was fun.  And yes, the Channing Tatum bits were particularly good.
Yup

« Reply #3468 on: December 23, 2022, 10:21:14 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

Bullet Train definitely was fun.  And yes, the Channing Tatum bits were particularly good.

I agree. Very entertaining movie if you like fast paced action movie with a suspension of belief. The actor with the mustache that I think is rumored to be the next Bond was very good in it.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #3469 on: December 23, 2022, 12:23:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I agree. Very entertaining movie if you like fast paced action movie with a suspension of belief. The actor with the mustache that I think is rumored to be the next Bond was very good in it.
I preferred his brother in the movie, but yes Tangerine and Lemon were good.  I thought it was very well done on the whole. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3470 on: December 23, 2022, 02:12:39 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Top Gun 2: Maverick

I finally gave in and watched it On Demand. OMG, it's awful.
They even drag the carcass of poor ol' Val Kilmer, who is recovering from throat cancer in real life, into this melodrama.
Just a 2-hour+ ego fix for Tom Cruise.

Val Kilmer has throat cancer in real life? Wow, I didn't know that. I thought the movie was entertaining but I also think it's the kind of movie that works better on the big screen.

I'm not a big fan of Tom Cruise and his gigantic ego and some of the forced PC aspect that was injected in the film put me off, so that bias contributed to my negative opinion. But it was a bit of a cheesy melodrama without the charm of the first Top Gun.

I watched on my 75" LG in a relatively small room, so I was able to enjoy all the graphics and the spectacular fighting scenes at full blast. They were absolutely amazing. I don't know how they were able to film some of the flying - not sure how much was modern film tech and how much was real. Didn't mean to diminish that part of the film. It lived up to the hype in that regard.

I found the use of Val Kilmer's real-life illness in the plot of the film was distasteful.
Then again, it was apparently ok with Kilmer, so who am I to say.

How many here heard the tirade Cruise went on a couple of years back on the set of one of his Mission Impossible films, when he insulted and threatened the jobs of every cast and crew member who were on site and dared to take off a covid mask, regardless of the circumstance or time period involved. Pure self-righteous ego.

I'm not a Cruise fan either, though he's been OK in a few decent movies (A few Good Men; Born on the 4th of July; Risky Business).  He delivered one of the worst/ most laughable (embarrassing) performances ever in the Color of Money, and the gratuitous Cruise smiles that swept through many of the movies in his prime left me rolling my eyes.   An OK actor who had his pick of great roles for a long time.  I differ with a lot of people on the Top Gun original. Predictable from the opening credits. Spine-wrenching attempt to recapture the magic of his "Old Time Rock & Roll" moment with "You've Lost that Loving Feeling".  And then the "wait for it, it's going to happen eventually" death of his best buddy... And despite the obnoxious cockiness he nurtured, he somehow gets the hard to get girl (a shocker).   Terrible movie.  Won't watch the sequel.

« Reply #3471 on: December 23, 2022, 03:25:30 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I just saw Darren Aronofskys “The Whale” starring Brendan Fraser. It was an OK movie, a classic example of the performance being better than the film. Brendan Fraser was absolutely phenomenal. If he doesn’t win best actor at the Oscars it will be the biggest snub since Mickey Rourke didn’t win for The Wrestler back in 2009 (another Aronofsky film).

« Reply #3472 on: December 23, 2022, 03:38:15 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I just saw Darren Aronofskys “The Whale” starring Brendan Fraser. It was an OK movie, a classic example of the performance being better than the film. Brendan Fraser was absolutely phenomenal. If he doesn’t win best actor at the Oscars it will be the biggest snub since Mickey Rourke didn’t win for The Wrestler back in 2009 (another Aronofsky film).

It will be interesting to see the politics with his nomination.  He was allegedly quasi black-listed for claiming he was victimized in Hollywood.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3473 on: December 24, 2022, 06:51:36 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!

hmmm?

The DC animation had what fans wanted....this movie failed...

my fav Rock film was

*sippin*

« Reply #3474 on: December 24, 2022, 11:04:31 PM »

Offline 0003323344

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
Just saw Avatar 2 in the theater Wednesday. Pretty good but at 3 hours and 10 minutes too long though. Then I watched Cheech and Chong Up in Smoke with my son Friday. He liked it I'm not 22 anymore so it lost its relevance for me.

« Reply #3475 on: February 14, 2023, 07:29:24 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I watched Knock at the Cabin.  I haven't read the book, so I have nothing to compare it to. 

I really liked it, but from the reactions of my fellow theater goers, I might have been the only one.  I liked the main actors, I liked the way it was shot, I liked the ending.  Some have called out the lack of backstory; that didn't bother me at all. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3476 on: February 14, 2023, 09:44:02 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
finally saw M3gan.  it was ok.  basically an AI Chucky.  the problem with the movie is that none of the characters are likable except the lab assistant.  everyone else, including the supposed heroes of the film, were pretty much worthy of whatever happened to them

also finally saw Top Gun Maverick.  excellent movie.  can see why it got as much hype as it did.

« Reply #3477 on: February 17, 2023, 10:01:48 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
saw Ant-Man and the Wasp - Quantumania.  not bad, better than the critics have been saying.  not as fun as the top Marvel movies but better than Thor Love and Thunder and Dr Strange and the Multiverse messes.

« Reply #3478 on: March 05, 2023, 03:14:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Ant-Man 3 wasn’t amazing, but it was decent.  It could have been very good with better narrative structure / editing.  The movie has an awesome villain, and it takes them an hour to put him on screen.

« Reply #3479 on: March 05, 2023, 04:18:50 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Creed 3. Solid movie.

Liked the story and acting was good.

Didn't love the editing and some special effects choices. Some times things feel rushed other times it feels drawn out. It even happens at the same time in certain scenes. There is still more good than bad.

3.5 out of 5.