Poll

Do you think the Patriots will start using the "Wildcat" as an offensive option?

Yes
1 (5.6%)
No
13 (72.2%)
Maybe
2 (11.1%)
Don't Care
2 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Poll: Will Belichick Use The "Wildcat"?  (Read 5801 times)

Re: Poll: Will Belichick Use The "Wildcat"?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 12:37:40 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just throwing it out there but it wouldn't surprise me if Julian Edelman ran a "WildPat" play or two before the season ends and have options for running OR throwing out of it. He was a college QB after all and is a fast little bug of a player that seems could succeed in an option style "WildPat" offense.

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 12:44:53 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
He was a college QB after all and is a fast little bug of a player that seems could succeed in an option style "WildPat" offense.

Ho-ho! Zing!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 12:51:20 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Just throwing it out there but it wouldn't surprise me if Julian Edelman ran a "WildPat" play or two before the season ends and have options for running OR throwing out of it. He was a college QB after all and is a fast little bug of a player that seems could succeed in an option style "WildPat" offense.

Or maybe call it "The Wild Bill Hiccup" ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 01:00:58 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I said no originally, but the more I think about this, the more I'm leaning the other way. I didn't see any need to use it with what they have now for talent and offensive program, but this is a very effective tool, no matter what your program is, and Bill is the kind of guy who likes as many tools as possible. The only problem I think he'd have with it is that someone else thought of it first, and it wouldn't be named after him. ;)

I disagree. IT's only really effective on teams that have two backs that pose a large threat in the running game.

What ones do we have? Kevin faulk is many things, an explosive north to south runner is not one of them. Despite LM's day, he's not exactly what i would call an impact back. the law firm is an ok back, but certainly not one defense feel threatened by.

IT works for miami because they have two explosive backs in brown and ricky, and a run blocking O-line.

The patriots have little to none of the personal that make it an impressive fashion. If they want to run the ball with power, they'd be better served by going ace big with two tight ends.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 01:20:18 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I said no originally, but the more I think about this, the more I'm leaning the other way. I didn't see any need to use it with what they have now for talent and offensive program, but this is a very effective tool, no matter what your program is, and Bill is the kind of guy who likes as many tools as possible. The only problem I think he'd have with it is that someone else thought of it first, and it wouldn't be named after him. ;)

I disagree. IT's only really effective on teams that have two backs that pose a large threat in the running game.

What ones do we have? Kevin faulk is many things, an explosive north to south runner is not one of them. Despite LM's day, he's not exactly what i would call an impact back. the law firm is an ok back, but certainly not one defense feel threatened by.

IT works for miami because they have two explosive backs in brown and ricky, and a run blocking O-line.

The patriots have little to none of the personal that make it an impressive fashion. If they want to run the ball with power, they'd be better served by going ace big with two tight ends.

I agree COMPLETELY about Faulk not being a North-to-South runner ... he drives me absolutely crazy with the time and energy he wastes looking for "a way around", (to the point of wanting him gone) ... if he used as much energy going forward as he does going sideways, he'd be 200% more effective, (the fact that he has never come to realize this over the years makes me wonder seriously about what's going on "upstairs"). That said, the success of the "Wildcat" depends on blocking as much as it does the 'backs, and Faulk is a very effective blocker, and could also be used as the "bait" in this particular play.

It's been shown many times, in college especially, that you don't necessarily need two great 'backs for the Wildcat to be successful, just a decent runner, good blocking, and clean execution of the play. The play itself has the innate ability to completely catch defenses off-guard, without the time to make proper adjustments. My first thought was also "no way", because of how this team works offensively and the type of 'backs we have, but the more I watch it run and the more I analyze it, the more I think it could be useful, if only to just throw a wrench at opposing teams' defenses from time-to-time, and loosen up the pocket for Bill on other "trick" plays.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 03:15:53 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

I agree COMPLETELY about Faulk not being a North-to-South runner ... he drives me absolutely crazy with the time and energy he wastes looking for "a way around", (to the point of wanting him gone) ... if he used as much energy going forward as he does going sideways, he'd be 200% more effective, (the fact that he has never come to realize this over the years makes me wonder seriously about what's going on "upstairs"). That said, the success of the "Wildcat" depends on blocking as much as it does the 'backs, and Faulk is a very effective blocker, and could also be used as the "bait" in this particular play.

It's been shown many times, in college especially, that you don't necessarily need two great 'backs for the Wildcat to be successful, just a decent runner, good blocking, and clean execution of the play. The play itself has the innate ability to completely catch defenses off-guard, without the time to make proper adjustments. My first thought was also "no way", because of how this team works offensively and the type of 'backs we have, but the more I watch it run and the more I analyze it, the more I think it could be useful, if only to just throw a wrench at opposing teams' defenses from time-to-time, and loosen up the pocket for Bill on other "trick" plays.
The value of having two strong backs is that the defense is worried about the threat of both. The NE backs are not threatening.

Miami is leading the league in rushing. That is the kind of team that runs the Wildcat.

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 06:10:14 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

The value of having two strong backs is that the defense is worried about the threat of both. The NE backs are not threatening.

Miami is leading the league in rushing. That is the kind of team that runs the Wildcat.

That's even more of a reason to use it, because whether a team has strong backs or not, the Wildcat forces the opposing defense to try and make adjustments, and befuddles their assignments to the point of near complete confusion. Whether it's successful every time or not, it's an effective tool to keeping the defense on their heels and giving them one more set-up to try and compensate for.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 07:49:04 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Good point.  I voted "maybe" because you can never put anything past BB.  He likes to mix it up. 

I bet we'll see one wildcat (okay WildPat) play in the playoffs.  Against, say, Denver.  It'll probably be with the Pats up by a touchdown late in the 4th and then the haters will say BB was trying to rub it in the face of his former assistant...
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2009, 07:58:47 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I just dont see it, I mean ya, you may see one or two plays just to add a wrinkle, but he wont use it with any consistancy.  I just think your best gameplan for a game can involve anybody other than #12 under center(or in the shotgun).
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2009, 08:09:09 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
I read someplace, and cant remember where, that the wildcat has been less effective this year.

I am not sure why the Pats would even consider it...so no, BB will not use a gimmick play which doesnt fit their personel