Poll

Do you think the Patriots will start using the "Wildcat" as an offensive option?

Yes
1 (5.6%)
No
13 (72.2%)
Maybe
2 (11.1%)
Don't Care
2 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Poll: Will Belichick Use The "Wildcat"?  (Read 5790 times)

Poll: Will Belichick Use The "Wildcat"?
« on: October 18, 2009, 10:37:00 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Just wondering what the general sentiment is among CB bloggers as to whether Bill Belichick will follow the trend and start using the "Wildcat" offense as an option. Personally, I don't see it as being in-sync with his coaching style and offensive plan, but it is very effective in certain situations, and completely befuddles the opponent's defensive assignments. What do you think?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 10:17:18 PM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

Re: Will Belichick Use The "Wildcat"?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 10:39:20 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
BIll Belichick doesn't join in on trends, he starts them, right?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 10:40:24 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I don't see it happening.  Especially when you take their offensive personal into account.  When you have receivers like Moss & Welker out there, no real need to use it. Plus, Tom Brady is your quarterback. 

I just can't picture Maroney or the Law Firm running it.  

Of course, with Belichick you can never totally discount it but I don't really see it happening.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 10:46:04 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Well said, (and so true ... especially from Bill's point-of-view!) ;)

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 11:16:19 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
In related news Apple pays Belicheck 99 cents every time he listens to a song.

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 01:27:53 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I don't think we really have the personal to make the Wildcat effective.

It pretty much requires 2 explosive running backs. I'm not sure what we would get out of it as a team thats more focused on a hybred west coast screen offense.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 01:57:46 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
You have below average running backs and a great QB with two great receivers. Doesn't make any sense to try the "Wildcat". You also want the ball in Brady's hands every play. You want the Brady to Moss threat on every snap.

As a Fins fan, we were desperate last year. This year, we are an established running team who started the season with no deep threat whatsoever. Now we have a QB with an excellent arm, but he is still young and unproven. We also have an offensive line that was able to practice the formation in a throwaway year (last year).

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 07:58:19 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I know it's not quite the same, but the pats have always had a direct snap to faulk play in the play book.

Otherwise, I don't think we are built for it. We need super running backs (plural) and a great offensive line. The Patriots have a great quarterback and great wide receivers and questionable line and backs. It wouldn't play to their strengths.

As an aside, BJGE looked good yesterday. I thought he had a chance to be #1 back this year, he seems explosive. And he really sold that flea flicker.

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 08:01:27 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Ya I hope not, the reason it works for the Dolphins is because their two best players are running backs.  The patriots Best two players are Brady and Moss, I dont think there is any reason to take the ball out of their hands. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 08:39:29 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Probably not, but if they did, the guy who would be running it would be Edelman.  He was a QB in colllege.
do it

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 10:09:43 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
With a quarterback that has speed like Brady's, why would you bother to run the wildcat anyways? I would much rather see Brady tearing out of the pocket, breaking off the play and rattling off a quick 40 yard touchdown sprint.

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 10:11:53 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
any body remember Brady breaking Urlachers ankles????

CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 10:14:17 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Probably not, but if they did, the guy who would be running it would be Edelman.  He was a QB in colllege.

I agree that Edelman would be the point man if they ever did a wildcat.  If this trend stays he will find a home in that type of offense and be very successful.  However as long as Brady is here I don't see that happening.  Yesterday reminded us of how great he can be when he's on.  I want him to be the QB for every single snap of the game (until we're up 52-0 anyways).  His game is not suited for the wildcat and I never want him off the field so I would vote no.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

Re: Poll: Will Belichick Use The "Wildcat"?
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 10:52:44 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I said no originally, but the more I think about this, the more I'm leaning the other way. I didn't see any need to use it with what they have now for talent and offensive program, but this is a very effective tool, no matter what your program is, and Bill is the kind of guy who likes as many tools as possible. The only problem I think he'd have with it is that someone else thought of it first, and it wouldn't be named after him. ;)

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 11:54:22 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Saban and Belichick are tight.  I can almost guarantee you that this has come up in conversations between these two when they aren't busy discussing defensive domination.