Author Topic: Bathroom Etiquette  (Read 24812 times)

Bathroom Etiquette
« on: July 17, 2009, 01:14:03 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
When ever I use the bathroom at work (or anywhere for that matter) I always try to use proper bathroom etiquette.  Like many of you, I've used my fair share of public facilities and I think there is definitely a lack of proper bathroom etiquette out there, so let me set it straight for those who don't know:

Urinal Etiquette Rules:
1. Choose a urinal that always for a buffer zone should others have to use the bathroom at the same time.
2.  Eyes forward.
3.  Conversation with the guy next to you is acceptable only if you're on really good terms.  It is not acceptable to start conversations with people you don't know.

Stall Etiquette Rules:
1.  Take the cleanest stall first. (which includes a sufficient tp supply).
2.  If all stalls have comparable levels of cleanliness, then choose a stall that always for a buffer zone should others have to use the bathroom at the same time.
3.  If there is a decent chance a handicapped person could use that bathroom, only use the handicapped stall as a last resort.  If the odds of a handicapped person using it are minimal, the handicapped stall is fair game.

I work in full office building, and there is always a steady stream of users in the bathrooms.  All the bathrooms on my floor are set up the same: 3 urinals, and 4 stalls all in a row:
Urinal 1, Urinal 2, Urinal 3, Stall 1, Stall 2, Stall 3, Stall 4 (handicapped stall).

You go in to use a urinal and all urinals are open, you take urinal 1 or 3.  Don't take urinal 2.  That way when using it and someone else comes in, they can take the other odd number urinal, and you have the classy buffer zone.  Only take urinal 2 when 1 and 3 are occupied. Nothing is weirder when I'm at urinal 1, and all others are open, and somebody comes in and uses the urinal right next to me.  Or one time I was walking right behind a guy into the bathroom, he knew I was there because he held the door open for me, we both walked up to the urinals, all open, and with his first choice took urinal 2.  What's up with that?  You're leaving me no choice but to go right next to you.  Complete lack of bathroom etiquette in my book.

With talking at the urnials, I don't know everyone is different on this one, but in my experiences most people don't.  It's always a little weird though, if I saw you in the hall you'd say hi, but when we see each other at the urinals we act like we don't see each other.  I find most people wait till they go over to the sinks to say hi or whatever.  If I know you, it's all good though, "hey did you see the game last night?" just don't say something corny like "how's it hanging?" or "so what are you up to?"  Also it's always weird when someone I don't really know trys to start a conversation with me at the urinal.  "Hey you work in Accounting, right? How's it going over there for you guys?"  Not the time or the place to make new friends.

Now with the stalls it's a little different.  Stall 4 is a handicapped stall, and there are multiple men on my floor confined to wheel chairs, and even more people in the building confined to wheel chairs.  Because of this, you should only take the handicapped stall on a last resort basis.  You go for the cleanest stall first, and if all stalls are equally clean (hopefully the bathrooms are kept clean) you also want to allow for a buffer zone (let's face it, those stall walls don't allow for much privacy) if you can.  If I'm sitting in Stall 1-3 and all others are open and clean you shouldn't take Stall 4 if you're not handicapped, it bugs me when people will go in and use it when I know there are others clean ones available.  It's no secret there are handicapped people on the floor, they only have one option, you have 4 to  7 options depending on what you have to do. Now if there is no handicapped people it's fair game, go in and use it, stretch out, enjoy the extra space.  But shame on you if someone comes in and needs to use it.

I ask my buddy in a wheel chair what he does when he goes in and that one stall is taken.  I tell him I if I was him, I would roll right up to the door and park there, let the guy know I'm waiting to use it then give him a dirty look when he comes out.  Lol, my buddy says that doesn't work because then the perpetrator might stay in longer because they're embarrassed about it.  Lol, he says it's really tough when they only get like a 5 minute break from a meeting and that stall is taken.

So tell me, is what I listed proper bathroom etiquette?  Did I miss something? Or have I included things you disagree with?  It's a slow Friday so I'm dying to know what you all think.  Feel free to share your stories of poor bathroom etiquette here.  ;D

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

Re: Bathroom Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 01:36:46 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
You seem like the kind of guy that when there are 3 stalls, and there is a dude behind you, you always take the middle one and breath heavily out of your nose.

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 01:39:09 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Cosigned.  My floor isn't that busy, and I can typically wait it out for the bathroom (3 stalls, 3 urinals) to clear out completely before going in.  Even then, you stick to the odd sides because that's an awkward situation.

If only more people knew proper restroom etiquette.  Few things are more frustrating than dealing with the guy who somehow gets winded at the urinal and decides to stand directly next to you.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 01:44:10 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
When ever I use the bathroom at work (or anywhere for that matter) I always try to use proper bathroom etiquette.  Like many of you, I've used my fair share of public facilities and I think there is definitely a lack of proper bathroom etiquette out there, so let me set it straight for those who don't know:

Urinal Etiquette Rules:
1. Choose a urinal that always for a buffer zone should others have to use the bathroom at the same time.
2.  Eyes forward.
3.  Conversation with the guy next to you is acceptable only if you're on really good terms.  It is not acceptable to start conversations with people you don't know.

Stall Etiquette Rules:
1.  Take the cleanest stall first. (which includes a sufficient tp supply).
2.  If all stalls have comparable levels of cleanliness, then choose a stall that always for a buffer zone should others have to use the bathroom at the same time.
3.  If there is a decent chance a handicapped person could use that bathroom, only use the handicapped stall as a last resort.  If the odds of a handicapped person using it are minimal, the handicapped stall is fair game.

I work in full office building, and there is always a steady stream of users in the bathrooms.  All the bathrooms on my floor are set up the same: 3 urinals, and 4 stalls all in a row:
Urinal 1, Urinal 2, Urinal 3, Stall 1, Stall 2, Stall 3, Stall 4 (handicapped stall).

You go in to use a urinal and all urinals are open, you take urinal 1 or 3.  Don't take urinal 2.  That way when using it and someone else comes in, they can take the other odd number urinal, and you have the classy buffer zone.  Only take urinal 2 when 1 and 3 are occupied. Nothing is weirder when I'm at urinal 1, and all others are open, and somebody comes in and uses the urinal right next to me.  Or one time I was walking right behind a guy into the bathroom, he knew I was there because he held the door open for me, we both walked up to the urinals, all open, and with his first choice took urinal 2.  What's up with that?  You're leaving me no choice but to go right next to you.  Complete lack of bathroom etiquette in my book.

With talking at the urnials, I don't know everyone is different on this one, but in my experiences most people don't.  It's always a little weird though, if I saw you in the hall you'd say hi, but when we see each other at the urinals we act like we don't see each other.  I find most people wait till they go over to the sinks to say hi or whatever.  If I know you, it's all good though, "hey did you see the game last night?" just don't say something corny like "how's it hanging?" or "so what are you up to?"  Also it's always weird when someone I don't really know trys to start a conversation with me at the urinal.  "Hey you work in Accounting, right? How's it going over there for you guys?"  Not the time or the place to make new friends.

Now with the stalls it's a little different.  Stall 4 is a handicapped stall, and there are multiple men on my floor confined to wheel chairs, and even more people in the building confined to wheel chairs.  Because of this, you should only take the handicapped stall on a last resort basis.  You go for the cleanest stall first, and if all stalls are equally clean (hopefully the bathrooms are kept clean) you also want to allow for a buffer zone (let's face it, those stall walls don't allow for much privacy) if you can.  If I'm sitting in Stall 1-3 and all others are open and clean you shouldn't take Stall 4 if you're not handicapped, it bugs me when people will go in and use it when I know there are others clean ones available.  It's no secret there are handicapped people on the floor, they only have one option, you have 4 to  7 options depending on what you have to do. Now if there is no handicapped people it's fair game, go in and use it, stretch out, enjoy the extra space.  But shame on you if someone comes in and needs to use it.

I ask my buddy in a wheel chair what he does when he goes in and that one stall is taken.  I tell him I if I was him, I would roll right up to the door and park there, let the guy know I'm waiting to use it then give him a dirty look when he comes out.  Lol, my buddy says that doesn't work because then the perpetrator might stay in longer because they're embarrassed about it.  Lol, he says it's really tough when they only get like a 5 minute break from a meeting and that stall is taken.

So tell me, is what I listed proper bathroom etiquette?  Did I miss something? Or have I included things you disagree with?  It's a slow Friday so I'm dying to know what you all think.  Feel free to share your stories of poor bathroom etiquette here.  ;D

This message is ManUp approved!  ;)

This is all common sense to me of course, but I find a lot of people don't see it the same way.

TP I'm amazed you put the time and effort to write this, lol.

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 01:45:58 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I've live in my house for five years now.  There are two toilets - one upstairs, one downstairs.  In those five years I have not once gone #2 in the upstairs bathroom.  I actually tried during an emergency a couple of months ago and it never happened.  Strange.

Yup

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 01:46:25 PM »

Offline pengaloo

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 76
lol maybe you should have written about proper bathroom hygiene too. I'd add that sink handles and door knobs are dirty. After people finish their business, if the sink isn't automatic, they would turn on the water manually. After they wash their hands, they would turn off the water by touching the handle that had previously been touched by their dirty hands. What you should do instead is don't turn off the water right away -- dry your hands first with paper towel, and use that paper towel to turn off the faucet. Save that paper towel and use it to open the door (because a lot of people don't actually wash their hands). I work in a hospital, so lapses in hand hygiene drive me crazy.

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 01:53:17 PM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
I once ran into a co-worker in a public restroom.  I was on my way to the sink as he stepped up to the urinal.  I greeted him by name, and he stood in silence like I wasn't there.  I saw him later, and he apologized, explaining that he had a policy of never talking to another man while he was touching himself.

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 01:58:01 PM »

Offline Aaron

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 18
While very in-depth, you missed the number one etiquette point for a shared bathroom situation - Courtesy Flushing.

Nobody wants to smell your junk, and you don't want to smell anybody else's.  The longer you let it float, the further the stench reaches.

My motto is: When you plop it, drop it.

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 02:01:42 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
There is a urinal choice game you can play online that someone forwarded me a while back. Pretty funny. Follows along with most of these rules. Do a google search and you can find it easy. I made my 15 year old son take it.

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 02:04:28 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
I, myself, have always been a stall guy.

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 02:28:42 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
There is a video on youtube (animated) that will have you rolling.  I think all you have to do is search "Bathroom Etiquette".  Try it.

I'm at work and can't get on youtube or I'd post a link.

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 02:31:16 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 02:34:11 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Props.

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 02:59:06 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
Number one rule you missed.

If you are under 5'10" and u see one urinal lower to the ground and unused, well, that's because it's for you. They built this urinal especially for you.

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 03:10:35 PM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
What if you are on a floor with no handicapped people and there is a seperate bathroom that is specifically designed to give them their privacy?  Can you use it?  It literally would go unused otherwise.  I call it my "private restroom".  It is very nice.  No distractions.  Cleaner. The works.