Author Topic: Grade the Pats Draft.  (Read 11557 times)

Grade the Pats Draft.
« on: April 28, 2009, 06:57:27 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Even though we did not get Larry English to Rush the passer.

It didn't make sense, the Greedy pass ruusher happy chargers took him to high.

So with no Linebacker valued that highly to take at 23. We trade down and end up with Chung, a Great safety extremely versatile, tuff, and durable. Started 53 straight games.

Darius Butler, Who Bill said is the most athletic corner I have ever worked out. Has a 43 inch vertical, 2nd highest in the history of the combine, and did not allow a Touchdown in 2 years.

Ron Brace, the biggest talented D Tackle in the draft at 6'3" 330 pounds. Extremely strong, perfect for the pats, will eat up blockers and had 26.5 tackles for loss in his career.

And the great white hope. Sebastian Vollmer, A 6'7" and a half giant 320 pounds, actually ran faster in the 40 and 20 yard dash, than Jason Smith the #2 pick, and the giant had a 36.5 inch Vertical!!!!!  By far the best among all offensive lineman. He is a project, however if his only weakness is lack of experience and coaching, I like his chances with Bill and Dante coaching him. Side notes he's from Germany and did not start playing football till 14. Was a soccer player, that explains his amazing foot quickness for such a big guy.

Not to mention Brandon Tate WR North Carolina, when he's back from injury will be a tremendous weapon as a return man, and 3rd wide out. Amazing athlete.

Combine all this with the fact we saved millions of dollars and still got the players we wanted, Picked up two more 2nd rounders, to give us three 2nd round Picks next year.

As of today, I have to give the Pats an even A. Well done Bill.

Re: Grade the Pats Draft.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 07:55:28 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
B+
Things I like:
-Butler, especially picked where he was picked
-Brace, b/c of the flexibility it gives the Pats with the contract situation next year
- 2 2010 2nd rounders

Things I think I like:
-Chung (a position of need)
-Tate (upside)

Things I am neutral on:
-Vollmer, McKenzie, Ohrnberg -- obviously the Pats are high on these guys; we'll see.

Things I don't like:
-The last several draft picks seem a real long shot to make the team -- they couldn't have been combined with higher picks to move up?

Overall, I am pretty happy, especially with the 2nd rounders next year.  Also, you sort of have to include Greg Lewis since he was acquired for a draft pick.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 09:08:53 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I have to give the draft a C- and this is why.

One of our starting ILBs has been in the league 14 years and has a history of seizures

One of our starting OLBs is right now either a rookie late 3rd rounder, someone like Pierre Woods, or  Tully Banta Cain

He drafted 2 OTs and a guard.  This tells me that he plans on losing Stephen Neal, Logan Mankins or both to free agency next year or that the backups and maybe even starters aren't good enough. That means either this year's draft grade should be lower or a past year's should be. Knowing the Pats Logan Mankins will probably want to be paid like a pro bowler and they'll be like "We know. C ya"  That means we just rented a first round pick for a few years.

They made the secondary a lot stronger

They made the DL a lot stronger, which is a good thing because I think Seymore is probably not as good as he used to be and they now have some back up plan just in case they lose Wilfork to free agency.

I don't like drafting guys whose knees were shredded and failed for pot at the combine

I don't like the college QB from Kent State being converted to WR.

I don't like that Miami got Pat White while our backup QB is Kevin O'Connel or Matt Guiterez. 

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 09:09:01 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Would have liked to have an impact linebacker, like matthews. Seems like the Pats have really watered themselves down in recent years by reaching slightly for solid players and avoiding impact players. It'd be nice to have some differencemakers.

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 09:22:20 PM »

Offline Greg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30
Would have liked to have an impact linebacker, like matthews. Seems like the Pats have really watered themselves down in recent years by reaching slightly for solid players and avoiding impact players. It'd be nice to have some differencemakers.

Uh.... Matthews... he's not a fit in the 3-4...  He can't play outside linebacker, he's not a rush guy... I don't know where you're coming from.

And Chung, Brace, and Butler will all be immediate impact players... possibly a LINEBACKER too in Tyrone McKenzie who Belichick called one of the smartest and most mature players he's ever worked out.

We got two future starting linemen in Vollmer and Ohrnberger.

And a guy w/ upside in Brandon TAte.

We also turned two third round picks into 2nd round picks...

Yeah.  I'll give us an A-

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 10:19:35 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 TP to Greg and Eja117 . Well done.

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 10:21:33 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I would feel alot better about this draft if we signed of the these three guys:

Jason Taylor

Leroy Hill

Larry Foote

Leroy Hill being the most expensive of the three

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 12:32:10 AM »

Offline Brigga

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 8
I like the A grade and I'll hop on that too.

Other than bringing in immediate impact players for less (2nd rd) money in Brace, Butler, and Chung, We turned two third round picks into 2 second rd picks in what scouts are saying will be a much better draft talent wise. That will be the move thats remembered. A pick next year can be used on an LB, which Is a need, but not one we have to rush and fill.

As for Pat White going to the Dolphins.. Who cares? Miami is gonna line him up in the slot and use him in their wildcat formation 10-15 plays a game.  He is not a full time quarterback, he couldnt be the Pats back up. Believe it or not we are better with O'Connell. Who can run the ball a little himself

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 12:46:07 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
People are hyping Vollmer up way way too much.  Watch some video's on him, I am not saying he doesnt have a chance to be good, but lets just call him Gerald Green.  he needs a ton of teaching.  if he steps anywhere near the field next year, I pray Brady is off of it.

I really like McKenzie.  partly because of his story, and partly because the guy can play.  I think he will be a regular contributor by the end of the year.  Although he isnt going to be a big generating pressure guy, which will remain our biggest weakness.

I dont like the Chung pick.  I am sure he will make an impact, because he is talented, but he is very limited in coverage and I would be surprised if he is able to beat out Sanders or Meriweather.  He almost reminds me of a bit better Dexter Reid.

Tate should be fun to watch - a year from now. 

Butler - I have never seen him play, but you gotta like what BB has said about him, then again, he also said great things about athletes like Chad Jackson and Bethel Johnson.  I just hope Butler's size doesnt kill him.

all in all a decent draft.  as a fan, you sit there with some of the 'top rated' lb's available and you want them to go after them, but I trust that BB that those guys wouldn't have fit...

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 02:31:25 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
Who knows. I think it's kind of funny how people get all excited about players they've never even seen play. I know i was pumped when they got Butler with the 41th pick, but only because I've read al lot about how the Pats liked him and that Reese gut had them picking him with the 23rd. From what I've read Chung id a hard hitting safety whick I have no doubt the Pats could use without Harrison. I solid D tackle to rotate or play next to Wilfork was needed so that seems like a good fit. My biggest question would be why they didn't trade down if they wanted Vollmer? Most of the things I read had him a late round/FA pick. If they were able to turn two 3rd rounders into 2nds next year, I would think a late 2nd would have been moveable. But what do I know. Lastly, i seriously doubt the Bill does not see that there is a need at linebacker, so if he didn't pick guys like Rey, Matthews, etc i can only assume he doesn't feel they are a good match for this team. Could he be wrong? Sure I suppose so, but I think he right more than he's wromg especially on defensive players. For what it's worth must of the so called experts gave the anywhere between a B and an A.

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 03:17:22 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
People are hyping Vollmer up way way too much.  Watch some video's on him, I am not saying he doesnt have a chance to be good, but lets just call him Gerald Green.  he needs a ton of teaching.  if he steps anywhere near the field next year, I pray Brady is off of it.

I really like McKenzie.  partly because of his story, and partly because the guy can play.  I think he will be a regular contributor by the end of the year.  Although he isnt going to be a big generating pressure guy, which will remain our biggest weakness.

I dont like the Chung pick.  I am sure he will make an impact, because he is talented, but he is very limited in coverage and I would be surprised if he is able to beat out Sanders or Meriweather.  He almost reminds me of a bit better Dexter Reid.

Tate should be fun to watch - a year from now. 

Butler - I have never seen him play, but you gotta like what BB has said about him, then again, he also said great things about athletes like Chad Jackson and Bethel Johnson.  I just hope Butler's size doesnt kill him.

all in all a decent draft.  as a fan, you sit there with some of the 'top rated' lb's available and you want them to go after them, but I trust that BB that those guys wouldn't have fit...

Yall, i tend to agree with all of this except chung. He's a SS, why on earth would he be competing against merriweather and saudners, both of whom are coverage FS's? He's rodeny's trainee, not a FS. IF we can get rodney out there for some of this year, great, but if not we drafted his replacment to a T.

Your SS, as the colts, steelers and pats have proved needs to be a hard hitting run stopper in a 3-4 who can destroy crossing slot recievers to protect against the lack of a 4th lineman in the groudn game. Thats what chung is. he destroys people when he gets a look at them, and reads the run game amazingly well.

You're correct coverage is a weakness for him, but he's a SS, not a FS, SS's in the 3-4 have way more run responsablity than pass. He should be a great fit.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 03:28:13 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

Yall, i tend to agree with all of this except chung. He's a SS, why on earth would he be competing against merriweather and saudners, both of whom are coverage FS's? He's rodeny's trainee, not a FS. IF we can get rodney out there for some of this year, great, but if not we drafted his replacment to a T.

Your SS, as the colts, steelers and pats have proved needs to be a hard hitting run stopper in a 3-4 who can destroy crossing slot recievers to protect against the lack of a 4th lineman in the groudn game. Thats what chung is. he destroys people when he gets a look at them, and reads the run game amazingly well.

You're correct coverage is a weakness for him, but he's a SS, not a FS, SS's in the 3-4 have way more run responsablity than pass. He should be a great fit.

Except Sanders has been playing as SS (and has been criticized at time for his coverage skills - despite being much better, at least at this point then chung).  Even Rodney was a very solid coverage guy.  sure, he wasnt going to be running down field with WR's on fly routes, but he was pretty good. 

The amount of money they gave Sanders indicates, at least on some level, that they are paying him to be a starter.  Chung seems like he will be the '3rd safety'...Which certainly has value since teams go with so many spread offenses, etc...

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 03:33:07 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
My biggest question would be why they didn't trade down if they wanted Vollmer? Most of the things I read had him a late round/FA pick.

I think I read that another team (I believe unnamed) was expecting to take him late 2nd, early 3rd.  It only takes one team.  It's like that guy Michael Mitchel the Safety Oakland took.  The ESPN guys were saying he was ranked 70th of safeties.  blah blah.  well it has also been reported that the Bears (IIRC) loved him and was going to take him 2 picks later or whatever it was.  whether any of those things are true or not, or just teams leaking things to prevent criticism is another question...

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 03:49:44 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
My biggest question would be why they didn't trade down if they wanted Vollmer? Most of the things I read had him a late round/FA pick.

I think I read that another team (I believe unnamed) was expecting to take him late 2nd, early 3rd.  It only takes one team.  It's like that guy Michael Mitchel the Safety Oakland took.  The ESPN guys were saying he was ranked 70th of safeties.  blah blah.  well it has also been reported that the Bears (IIRC) loved him and was going to take him 2 picks later or whatever it was.  whether any of those things are true or not, or just teams leaking things to prevent criticism is another question...

Thanks. That makes sense. Like I said, I tend to assume guys like Belichek know a lot more than I do. Who know, maybe the guy will be a stud. He's certainly big enough.

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 04:08:08 PM »

Offline Greg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30

Thanks. That makes sense. Like I said, I tend to assume guys like Belichek know a lot more than I do. Who know, maybe the guy will be a stud. He's certainly big enough.

The biggest thing I learned after the Logan Mankins pick is to NEVER question Belichick when he takes a lineman that early.  Never.

I actually have watched a decent amount of tape since the Pats drafted Vollmer.  And he looks like he has good footwork, plays smarter than you'd think for a guy who started so late, and he enjoys mauling defenders/finishing blocks.  The only bad thing I saw is that sometimes, on a passing down, he'll come out of his stance, won't have a rusher, and he will just kind of stand there and not really do anything.

Still, and I may just be forcing myself to say this, I like this pick, especially with Kazcur's contract expiring after the year.