Author Topic: Pats/Colts  (Read 3298 times)

Pats/Colts
« on: November 02, 2008, 11:08:10 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Well, that was an unfortunate time to take a boneheaded penalty.

Cassel played a really nice 2nd half.

Wasted opportunity.
Yup

Re: Pats/Colts
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 11:17:00 PM »

Offline LD42

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 14
bellichick blew it...and david thomas basically cost us the game.
i dont understand why they wouldnt go to Randy, since he is much taller than all of the colts D...ayyaya

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 11:24:48 PM »

Offline scurvmeister

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 30
I agree. Really bad timing on that penalty. Perplexing uses of timeouts, too.

However, I don't feel nearly as bad about this loss. Cassel played very solid, and didn't get rattled, except when he had to throw on the 4th and 16. The whole team looked good. If we play like this or better for the rest of the season, we may still be looking at our usual 1st place in the AFC east.

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 07:22:04 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
yea, and the worst part about that penalty is it was a clean block if it had happened 1-2 second earlier.

I know it was technically a late hit because it was post whistle, but honestly ref, no one came down there to see you decided the game on that. let them play out the 4th and 1. This is similar to the NCAA tourney where that ref called a touch foul 80 ft from the basket in a one point game with 1.5 left, and the kid sunk both FT's for the win.

Have a tad bit of commonsense ref. let that one go.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 09:32:46 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The game was played fabulously by the Pats and came down to three plays. Vinatieri made the 52 yard FG, Gaffney dropped the TD pass and Thomas made a dumb penalty. All three plays went Indy's way, Indy wins.

New England as a whole play a great game and I have no problem with the game plan, the way the defense played or the way the offense played or any play calling. It all worked great except for execution on a pass that any high school kid could have caught, a stupid penalty(honestly I have scene worse not called after the whistle but it was a penalty and the ref isn't to blame, Thomas is), and a guy that hasn't made a 50+ yard FG in 6 years finally made one.

Tough loss. Better luck next time.

I will say I am very impressed with the work of the offensive line last night that is finally back intact and also the work of the rookies Ben-Jarvis Green-Ellis, Gary Guyton, Jarrod Mayo, Tyrone Wheatley and second year guy Brandon Merriweather. Their development this year has been a very good sign of things to come.

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 11:11:53 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
That was a tough one to take.

Interesting article by Shaughnessy today.  That was a brilliant gameplan.  However there were also in game mistakes made by Belechick.  This is very rare for him.

The two plays that stick out in my mind are the Gaffney drop and that rediculous play by Thomas.  The guy cost the team what could have been a great win, he should be cut.  It's a tight race this year in the AFC East hopefully close games like this won't come back to haunt us in the end.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 11:39:56 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I don't think the penalty should have been called.  He just threw a block after the whistle because he didn't hear it.  If you look at the replay, you see that he was screened from the play and couldn't see that the runner was down.

Tough call, the kind that home teams get.

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 12:07:01 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Bunch of mistakes by multiple people, but overall the game was managed poorly by BB. One of the few times you see him look out of sorts, for the life of me I don't understand lining up on fourth down and then using a timeout, you know you only have one left, why even mess around.

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 12:20:25 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Bunch of mistakes by multiple people, but overall the game was managed poorly by BB. One of the few times you see him look out of sorts, for the life of me I don't understand lining up on fourth down and then using a timeout, you know you only have one left, why even mess around.

worst of all, even though NBC decided not to show a replay, it looked to me liek cassell got the first down on the play that didn't count.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion