Author Topic: Fantasy Basketball...who to take at number 1?  (Read 4061 times)

Fantasy Basketball...who to take at number 1?
« on: October 13, 2008, 06:25:10 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
Now I don't know what pick I have yet, I'll find out later on tonight.

But in the yahoo rankings, they have Chris Paul ranked number 1 in the pre-draft player rankings.  It shows that so far this fantasy basketball season, he's an average pick of 1.4 in leagues...which means he's picked number 1 overall in drafts many many times.

No disrespect to CP3 whatsoever, but if we're talking in terms of who can give you the best stats in a fantasy league, shouldn't Lebron be number 1 no questions asked?  The guy averaged nearly a triple double last season, and you have to expect he'll do nothing short of that this season.

However, yahoo has Lebron ranked 3rd in the pre-draft rankings and so far in yahoo drafts he's an average pick of 3.3 overall.

I guess I just don't understand the logic in drafting Chris Paul over Lebron in terms of pure stats for a fantasy league.

Re: Fantasy Basketball...who to take at number 1?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 06:33:17 PM »

Offline stoyko

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 77
Some league give more weight to assists than points. If thats the case CP3's double digit assists become even more attractive. Still it's tough to pass on Lebron.
NJ Nyets.
A.Iguodala,Nene,A. Brooks, H. Warrick, ,C.Delfino,MoWilliams,Nick Collison,Reggie Williams, T. Douglas, E. Barron,Q. Ross,James Anderson, Jeff Pendergraph

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 06:35:17 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
couple of reasons.

1) he was 1st in assists and steals last year,

2) It looks like he had the number 1 fantasy stats last year (according to Yahoo)

3) He plays PG, a harder position to fill then SF.

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 06:45:00 PM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
Oh dude, please, take it from someone in 6 keepers and an 80% score in fantasy Y! hoops (for what that's worth), there's CP3 and there's everybody else. His numbers are only going to go up and the fact that he's a PG makes him more than golden. The hardest stat to come by and maintain is pure scoring, I really would love to Kobe or LBJ in a draft someday (have yet to), but any time of stat cat system, really, really go for Chris Paul. The only other advice I'd give you is if you think you can Deron Williams or Steve Nash on the turn go of LBJ then pick one of them, only way I'd do it personally.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 06:45:24 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
couple of reasons.

2) It looks like he had the number 1 fantasy stats last year (according to Yahoo)

I'll give you number 3...but number 1, Lebron did just find in terms of assists and steals, plus can add in the blocks...and number 2, that just doesn't make sense to me.

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 06:57:15 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
couple of reasons.

I'll give you number 3...but number 1, Lebron did just find in terms of assists and steals, plus can add in the blocks...and number 2, that just doesn't make sense to me.

Then go onto yahoo, click on players and there rank (which uses last years stats)

Paul is number 1

Lebron is number 6

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 07:33:03 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Yeah, I'd take CP3 #1 as well, especially if you're playing head-to-head. He led the league last year in two statistical categories (steals being the most rare of the traditional categories), shoots great percentages, and can score and hit the 3.

You could also argue that Amare should be taken before LeBron, for similar reasons: he has ridiculously good FG% and FT% percentages for his position (C eligible), and can score, rebound, and block shots. For his position, he's an elite fantasy player.

LeBron can score, and put up triple-doubles, but isn't all that great percentage-wise. He also plays SF, which is possibly the easiest position to find fantasy production at. Don't get me wrong, I'd take LeBron at #3 for sure. But I think the difference between CP3 and other PGs (or Amare and other Cs) is much greater than that between LeBron and other SFs, fantasy-wise.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 07:41:09 PM by Lucky17 »
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 09:11:18 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
couple of reasons.

Then go onto yahoo, click on players and there rank (which uses last years stats)

Paul is number 1

Lebron is number 6

LeBron missed more games.

Still, I expect Paul to do pretty well on percentages and low TO also.

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 09:43:25 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I dont know
I really dont know
I will probably pick Le Bron
really
Some of Pauls succes its because last year and last before that pgs are really stinking and hes having a blast out there
I dont know if that is the case this year
probably it is probably this year he still will be better in fantasy
another point is fragility , i put my money on the big guy , even if Paul isnt injury prone.
but who knows
who knows
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 01:05:06 AM »

Offline Celtic_E

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 10
Tough choice to make. But if I were to pick first in my league, I'm taking Lebron over Paul because I have this gut feeling that Lebron will be gunning for the MVP award this year. He got frustrated by Kobe last year and I don't think he's in the mood to lose again this time around. In fantasy talk, that means you should expect more monster numbers from Lebron.

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 07:54:32 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Draft CP3, with a deal in place to aquire Garnett and an additional asset later on in the draft.
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 08:01:01 AM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
Chris Paul. Then Lebron.
Anything is possible!!!