Author Topic: Cancer Awareness Thread  (Read 32237 times)

Re: Cancer Awareness Thread
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2009, 07:04:14 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Cancer is a horrible thing! My son has been battling cancer for almost a year now. He's had a recent relaspe on the brain and on the spinal column. I'd really appreciate your prayers.

www.caringbridge.org/visit/cartercummings

Thanks.

Rev. Cummings

My thoughts and prayers are definitely with you.  Even at 57 (my mom), it just feels so young to me.  I cannot imagine the thought of a young child like that.  I'll hope for the best.  My mom is actually going to be setting up a site at Caring Bridge as well.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #91 on: May 23, 2009, 10:10:24 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Cancer is a horrible thing! My son has been battling cancer for almost a year now. He's had a recent relaspe on the brain and on the spinal column. I'd really appreciate your prayers.

Thanks.

Rev. Cummings
20 years ago, I got a phone call from my wife that informed me she had heard from my son's surgeon and a biopsy we had not even known was done during a surgical procedure on him came back positive for a Yolk Sac tumor. He was 18 months old and the chances of him getting the tumor where he did efore pubity was less likely than hitting the lottery for $100 million.

That drive home was the loneliest, worse, and longest 60 minutes of my life.

The following 3 years where my son went through countless blood tests and became traumetized by needles and then eventually had to go through chemotherap for 6 months are a time I would rather not remember. Stuff like this tears a young family apart. Cancer in children does not only effect the children but can also kill families and relationships.

Fast forward to now and my son will be graduating Northeastern University next year after being a constant on the Dean's list for 5 years. His cancer is seemingly cured and has been in remission for 17 years though doctors say it is actually possible to return, even if the chances are next to nothing. Then again, the chances of getting it were pretty rare as well so we always have that little fear in the back of our minds. My wife and I are still together and almost never fight. We truly feel that all our prayers were answered and I pray every night for continued good fortune and for others who suffer.

Consider you child and your family in my prayers Rev and if ever you need to talk, PM me and I'd be glad to listen and help in any way possible. What some people don't get about this disease is that the victims are not just the patients and sometimes, every gesture, no matter how small, can help those other victims while they go through what they go through while being strong for their loved one.

« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2009, 11:38:57 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
my hearts go out to everyone in this thread.  truth is we all know someone who has died or living with cancer.  i wish they would find a cure for it.

this thread puts a lot of things into perspective and should make everyone reflect on whats really important in life and to treasure your loved ones and the time you have with them.

« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2009, 02:52:21 PM »

Offline revcummings

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 17
Thanks for the prayers!

Cancer really is something that touches everyone in some way. I also hope they find a cure and am thankful they are making such great progress with so many types of cancer already.

May God Bless You!

Rev. Cummings

« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2009, 02:59:25 PM »

Offline SSFan V

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177

Thanks.

Rev. Cummings

fingers crossed and thinking warm positive thoughts.  Keep smiling and seeing the glass more than 1/2 full.

Wishing you and your family reasons to laugh, smile and rejoice.

Peace
sometimes you have to bite your lip, exhale and move on.  So, I have.

« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2009, 08:30:40 AM »

Offline SSFan V

• Jaylen Brown

My friend Ruthie died from brain cancer Wednesday morning. She was only 41 and had an 8 year old daughter.

This afternoon is her wake - I am not sure I am ready for it.

On the same note, each year I put together a large push for the Pan Mass Challenge - I get a lot of items together to raffle off - all to help raise money for cancer research.  It's never been so relevant than it is today.  Please take a second and check it out.

peace
http://www.fire-professionals.com/newspromo/engauge/PanMass2009.pdf

« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2009, 11:36:29 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

My friend Ruthie died from brain cancer Wednesday morning. She was only 41 and had an 8 year old daughter.

This afternoon is her wake - I am not sure I am ready for it.

On the same note, each year I put together a large push for the Pan Mass Challenge - I get a lot of items together to raffle off - all to help raise money for cancer research.  It's never been so relevant than it is today.  Please take a second and check it out.

peace

very sorry to hear that ssfan.  i sent u a pm.

« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2009, 08:23:53 AM »

Offline SSFan V

• Jaylen Brown
My friend Ron's sister Lorraine died yesterday of cancer.

She's the 2nd person I've known this week to die of cancer.  Sadly, I wish I was making this up.

What's "weirding me out" is that I've lost two people I know to cancer in the past week -- and I am trying to raise my money for the Pan Mass Challenge at the same time.  (see link) 

What do you think that means?

2 in 1 week, I am just shaking my head. 

Please take a look at the attached link and consider a tax deductible donation and a chance to win Celtics / Sox / U Conn & concert tickets.

« Reply #98 on: July 15, 2009, 08:34:32 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
My friend Ron's sister Lorraine died yesterday of cancer.

She's the 2nd person I've known this week to die of cancer.  Sadly, I wish I was making this up.

What's "weirding me out" is that I've lost two people I know to cancer in the past week -- and I am trying to raise my money for the Pan Mass Challenge at the same time.  (see link) 

What do you think that means?

2 in 1 week, I am just shaking my head. 

Please take a look at the attached link and consider a tax deductible donation and a chance to win Celtics / Sox / U Conn & concert tickets.

I'm speechless...
My thoughts go out to you.

« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2009, 08:57:48 AM »

Offline revcummings

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 17
I'll be praying for you and your family.

« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2009, 02:01:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I am speechless. SSV. 2 in less than a week?? My heart truly breaks for you my friend.

It may not mean much but I sent a nice check to the Pan Mass Challenge as I try to contribute to the Jimmy Fund and their affiliated charities and fundraisers a few times a year.

My thoughts and prayers go with you and all yours in these trying times.

« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2009, 03:13:48 PM »

Offline JRodtheSnake

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 20
It's so sad to hear these stories.  I work for AFLAC, which was basically founded on our Cancer Protection Policy and gives millions of dollars a year to cancer research.
This policy which only costs about $500 a year offers thousands of dollars of benefits.  Cancer has become one of the top causes of death and having the extra stress with trying to figure out how to pay for all the doctors and treatments is absurd.  Please let me know if you have any questions about it or are interested in offering this at your workplace.
Thank you all for sharing in these tough times.  I wish you all the best.
"Kirilenko's eyes started to tear in the locker room as he talked in a shaky voice about his frustrations and inability to stop Pierce. He played just four minutes in the final quarter because of his inept defense, but his small consolation was that none of his teammates could do any better".

« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2009, 10:58:30 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

My heart truly breaks for you SS.

I hope I can help too...I will look for something here in my country, its shocking.

My thoughts and prayers go with you and all yours in these trying times.

note:thanks to nick for letting me use your words without asking permission.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2009, 11:05:41 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Taught with a really strong veteran teacher, who was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2003 that spread down her spine into her liver. Doctors advised her to get her affairs in order.

She's a woman of incredibly strong faith, and an aggressive problem solver to boot. She put her faith in God and M.D. Anderson in Houston. Today - six years later - she remains in remission.

There are success stories, regardless of the diagnosis. Keep praying and keep looking for medical answers, regardless how dark it might seem.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2009, 01:44:40 PM »

Offline SSFan V

• Jaylen Brown
Well - they say it comes in 3's and it has.

My friend Don lost his mother yesterday to yup you got it - cancer.  Lung cancer to be precise.

Folks, that is 3 people in one week that I know (Ruthie, who I worked with) or close with an immediate relative (my friend Ron's sister and my friend Don's mother) who's passed away from cancer.

Don's mom was older and smoked like a chimney - she was diagnosed less than 3 months ago and then it spread like wild fire.  Simply amazing.

I'm not even going to bother with my Pan Mass push -- feel free to scroll to an earlier post if you want to see it.

3 in 1 week -- has to be some sort of pathetic record.