Author Topic: Cancer Awareness Thread  (Read 31856 times)

Re: Cancer Awareness Thread
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2008, 12:20:04 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Portrait of the Helen Heinsohn by Tommy

Yup

« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2009, 12:18:27 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Well worth watching again every once in a while

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuoVM9nm42E&feature=related
Yup

« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2009, 12:47:34 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
(moved here)

Because I've been spending 4-8 hours everyday, along with working full time, for a test coming up in two weeks and because after 23 years and 327 days of getting through life without a single family member or close friend dying, fighting off disease, going to jail for a significant amount of time, committing adultery, or any other type of thing that could knock down my spirits (I'd been pretty lucky), I found out that my mom had cancer, three days later found out it was further along than we'd hoped, three days after that found out the news was not good and was infecting multiple organs, and just 6 days after that (this morning) found out it is very unlikely that she will still be with us 3-5 years down the road.

Probably the single worst way to end my long string of good fortune.
Yup

« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2009, 01:34:00 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
As someone who has lost my father
last Spring, my heart goes out to all
that have been hit by that terrible
disease called cancer.

I want you to read the following
article; we can only hope to be as
brave as Robert Müller was.
R.I.P., young man.

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/news/news-singleview/article/robert-mueller-passes-away.html?tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=955&cHash=ba59900382

« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2009, 03:08:34 PM »

Offline SSFan V

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
just seeing this thread back in the rotation made me sigh.
sometimes you have to bite your lip, exhale and move on.  So, I have.

« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2009, 03:21:23 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
just seeing this thread back in the rotation made me sigh.

me too, but like I said, I seem to be doing a lot more sighing the last month or two.
Yup

« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2009, 03:22:33 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
(moved here)

Because I've been spending 4-8 hours everyday, along with working full time, for a test coming up in two weeks and because after 23 years and 327 days of getting through life without a single family member or close friend dying, fighting off disease, going to jail for a significant amount of time, committing adultery, or any other type of thing that could knock down my spirits (I'd been pretty lucky), I found out that my mom had cancer, three days later found out it was further along than we'd hoped, three days after that found out the news was not good and was infecting multiple organs, and just 6 days after that (this morning) found out it is very unlikely that she will still be with us 3-5 years down the road.

Probably the single worst way to end my long string of good fortune.

And to top it off.... just got a call from my girlfriend and she's been laid off.  She doesn't deal with bad news well and I'm usually her outlet to cope.  I swear the world just doesn't want me to pass the CFA test I've got in two weeks.  Sheesh!

Anyways, thanks for moving this thread Redz, and I can't thank everyone enough the the very nice PMs... the kindness at this blog is unparalleled.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2009, 03:23:07 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
The reason I have not been able to do the links is because my daughter had cancer surgery and I have been pretty busy caring for her and with doctor appointments etc.  The links just take so much time that I didn't have time to keep up with them with everything else going on.   

The good news is that the doctor found it early and is pretty sure they were able to get all of it out.  She still has a couple more follow up appointments and a few more tests but we are very thankful that at this point it appears that they were able to get it all and that she will be ok. 

« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2009, 03:24:56 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Big Ticket, as I said in the other thread, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your mom.  Hang in there. 

« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2009, 03:31:21 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
The reason I have not been able to do the links is because my daughter had cancer surgery and I have been pretty busy caring for her and with doctor appointments etc.  The links just take so much time that I didn't have time to keep up with them with everything else going on.   

The good news is that the doctor found it early and is pretty sure they were able to get all of it out.  She still has a couple more follow up appointments and a few more tests but we are very thankful that at this point it appears that they were able to get it all and that she will be ok. 

Excellent news FL...Did they find it pretty early?
Yup

« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2009, 04:02:55 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!

Excellent news FL...Did they find it pretty early?

Thank you Redz.  Yes, they found it early.  She went in to the doctor for totally separate issue and she had surgery for that and while the doctor was operating he thought something looked amiss and took a biopsy and found the cancer cells and so she had to get a second surgery within 2 weeks of the first. They found it even before she had any symptoms that would have indicated cancer. She was just very fortunate that she had a doctor who was alert and took the tests even though nothing had indicated cancer in the first place.   The doctor seemed pretty certain that they were able to get it all and so far tests back it up. 

« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2009, 04:11:53 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Great news FL. Really great news.

« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2009, 04:17:23 PM »

Offline revcummings

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 17
Cancer is a horrible thing! My son has been battling cancer for almost a year now. He's had a recent relaspe on the brain and on the spinal column. I'd really appreciate your prayers.

www.caringbridge.org/visit/cartercummings

Thanks.

Rev. Cummings

« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2009, 04:25:17 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Cancer is a horrible thing! My son has been battling cancer for almost a year now. He's had a recent relaspe on the brain and on the spinal column. I'd really appreciate your prayers.

www.caringbridge.org/visit/cartercummings

Thanks.

Rev. Cummings

Will do Rev.. I just had my first "close to home" experience with a kid with Cancer. I feel so very fortunate for my kids health.  You just don't know...Very scary stuff.

Yup

« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2009, 04:56:13 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Cancer is really a horrible thing.  I have lost loved ones to it but have also seen people come though it even when it seemed doubtful.  Never give up hope. 

Rev, I have added you and your son to my prayer list and will be praying for you both.