Author Topic: Cancer Awareness Thread  (Read 32080 times)

Re: Afternoon got Better!!! --- Cancer Awareness Thread
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2008, 12:09:52 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Just got some very sad news pertinent to the topic about a close relative.  Once cancer decides to bite hard it doesn't like to let go so much.

Sucks.
Yup

« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2008, 12:18:21 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Just got some very sad news pertinent to the topic about a close relative.  Once cancer decides to bite hard it doesn't like to let go so much.

Sucks.

Sorry to hear that, Redz.  Sympathies to you and your loved ones.  And you're absolutely right about the impact of this disease.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2008, 11:19:01 AM »

Offline SShoreFan 2.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 201
Redz,

My warmest thoughts.......so sorry about the news.

(ugh)
I love my kids, call me a sap - it's true.

« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2008, 11:30:08 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Our prayers will be with u and your family.  :(

Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2008, 12:20:01 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread so far, but I studied communication in school and it's astounding how often people who are labeled as "suffering" or "fighting" or "dying from" cancer often lose hope and the ability to keep up the "fight."

The reality is that MANY people are LIVING with cancer.  The language we use about disease is often one of battle, of fighting, or of being defeated and very often this can have a negative effect on the patient.

I'm not saying that this is something that will go away if we change the way we talk about it, but scientific studies have shown that the mindset of a patient about their disease can go a long way to helping the emotional, mental and yes, even physical health of the patient. 

I was lucky that I studied this months prior because when my mom was in radiation we would NOT let her get down about it.  I made sure that our family never used the war metaphor for the procedures she was going through.  Even after she's been cured, there are lingering effects from the radiation, (she can get kind of forgetful--the doctors call it "scatter") but we never get serious about it.  My mom loves her "scatter" and uses it for all sorts of comedy.  Her emotional and psychological health was, I'm sure of it, improved by my family's ability to cope with her sickness without being beaten down by it.

Anything, even as seemingly insignificant as the language we use, that can be done to help healing--whether it be bodies, souls or minds--should be examined and tried, I think.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2008, 12:39:20 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

Sucks.

Sucks indeed.
For what it's worth, my
thoughts go out to you
and your family.

« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2008, 01:06:32 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
So glad to hear the good news SShorefan! I am sorry for all the others who are going through this as well. Kind of puts things into perspective!

« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2008, 09:19:39 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread so far, but I studied communication in school and it's astounding how often people who are labeled as "suffering" or "fighting" or "dying from" cancer often lose hope and the ability to keep up the "fight."

The reality is that MANY people are LIVING with cancer.  The language we use about disease is often one of battle, of fighting, or of being defeated and very often this can have a negative effect on the patient.

I'm not saying that this is something that will go away if we change the way we talk about it, but scientific studies have shown that the mindset of a patient about their disease can go a long way to helping the emotional, mental and yes, even physical health of the patient. 

I was lucky that I studied this months prior because when my mom was in radiation we would NOT let her get down about it.  I made sure that our family never used the war metaphor for the procedures she was going through.  Even after she's been cured, there are lingering effects from the radiation, (she can get kind of forgetful--the doctors call it "scatter") but we never get serious about it.  My mom loves her "scatter" and uses it for all sorts of comedy.  Her emotional and psychological health was, I'm sure of it, improved by my family's ability to cope with her sickness without being beaten down by it.

Anything, even as seemingly insignificant as the language we use, that can be done to help healing--whether it be bodies, souls or minds--should be examined and tried, I think.

Robb,  I agree with this.  I hadn't read the posts after mine, until just now.  I've seen friends and family members handle having cancer, and the mindset is important.  One of the images that will forever be impressed in memory is that of a friend of wife's who was at the end stage of a long ordeal with cancer.  About ten days before she passed away I bumped into her as I was leaving CVS.  I was really surprised to see her out and about.  She was an extremely modest representation of her healthy self, but her eyes twinkled with life and she greeted me with a warm and genuine smile.  It was a moment I'll never forget.

The close relative who I had mentioned a couple of months ago was set to come home from the hospital today, and live out her final days at home with hospice care.  Last night, it is my true belief that she decided to let go instead.

I'm not writing from the perspective of being down.  It's sad, obviously, but through the experience of seeing someone close to you die, you can learn a lot about living. 

A couple of weeks ago, I heard the Pearl Jam song in my sig for the first time in a long time.  It really struck a chord with me at the moment, and it rings truer even more so today.

If you're interested: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/pearljam/presenttense.html
Yup

« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2008, 09:55:05 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Robb,  I agree with this.  I hadn't read the posts after mine, until just now.  I've seen friends and family members handle having cancer, and the mindset is important.  One of the images that will forever be impressed in memory is that of a friend of wife's who was at the end stage of a long ordeal with cancer.  About ten days before she passed away I bumped into her as I was leaving CVS.  I was really surprised to see her out and about.  She was an extremely modest representation of her healthy self, but her eyes twinkled with life and she greeted me with a warm and genuine smile.  It was a moment I'll never forget.

The close relative who I had mentioned a couple of months ago was set to come home from the hospital today, and live out her final days at home with hospice care.  Last night, it is my true belief that she decided to let go instead.

I'm not writing from the perspective of being down.  It's sad, obviously, but through the experience of seeing someone close to you die, you can learn a lot about living. 

A couple of weeks ago, I heard the Pearl Jam song in my sig for the first time in a long time.  It really struck a chord with me at the moment, and it rings truer even more so today.

If you're interested: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/pearljam/presenttense.html
My condolences for the loss of your close relative Redz. Although your perspective may not be coming from a person who is down, the loss of someone close, no matter how expected, still hurts and can be felt from your writing. Let's hope one day cancer will be talked about in the same vane as polio and other once deadly diseases that are now very much curable and avoidable.

« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2008, 10:02:22 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Sorry to here about your loss, Redz.  My dad's health isn't the greatest right now, and as you say, that's leading to me to examine my own life, and try to reevaluate where I am right now.  Carpe diem, right?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2008, 10:06:06 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
Sorry to hear all of this
Health to you and yopur beloved ones
and resignation for those who miss beloved ones too

My thoughts with all of u

Edgar

Nice to be back!

« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2008, 10:18:36 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Sorry to here about your loss, Redz.  My dad's health isn't the greatest right now, and as you say, that's leading to me to examine my own life, and try to reevaluate where I am right now.  Carpe diem, right?

It definitely is a good time to reflect on who, and what, are really important.
Yup

« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2008, 10:32:31 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
My thoughts are with you, Redz.
I lost my father to cancer, too.
I'm just glad his battle was a
short one. It allows me to remember
him for all the other things he was
and not just a person struck by this
horrible disease. In a way, this is
the best year so far in my life:
Our son was born and the Celtics won
again. But this will also be the year
that my father passed away. Always.

I said it before and I'll say it again:
Tell those you love that you LOVE THEM
and don't spend your time being mad at
family or friends or colleagues or whatever.
We truly never know what tomorrow will bring.

« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2008, 12:11:18 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
this is a beautifull piece of a song
I know u understand it A.. redz so for some reson i think its apropiate because the chat u were having with Roy earrlier today...

Vives en una gran ciudad (gran ciudad)
Y tienes el cambio a tu favor
Y ya casi no recuerdas tu pueblo
Aquel pequeño y soñador
Y los caminos que bajan al valle
No te llaman la atencion mas
Pues donde viven son mas anchas las calles
Y es mas grande la ciudad
Y tienes el cambio a tu favor
Y ya casi no recuerdas la niña
Aquella que murio de amor
Pues donde vives las mujeres son bellas
Todas parecen modelos
Pero cuando buscas su alma te das cuenta
Que la perdieron frente a los espejos
Pero aqui tenemos grande el corazon
Y nos brillan mas los ojos que una estrella
Y aunque no llego la industrializacion (a tiempo)
Tenemos llenas de flores las praderas
Junto al relog con la campana
Que te recuerda que el tiempo vuela
Que el tiempo vuela y que te alcanza
Y corres detras de la vida
Pues la vida se te escapa
Pues por correrla se te olvida la vida
Como se te olvido un dia tu casa

hope u like it

Edgar

Nice to be back!

« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2008, 02:17:11 PM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 202
Sleep
Sleep tonight
And may your dreams
Be realized
If the thunder cloud
Passes rain
So let it rain
Rain down him
So let it be
So let it be

Sleep
Sleep tonight
And may your dreams
Be realized
If the thundercloud
Passes rain
So let it rain
Let it rain
Rain on him

MLK
~U2~
I love my kids - Call me a sap, but it's true.