Author Topic: The Celtics Have a Playoff Game Tonight  (Read 5141 times)

The Celtics Have a Playoff Game Tonight
« on: April 26, 2008, 03:50:42 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
There has been next to no talk about the Celtics game tonight.  It's pretty crazy that the Celts have managed to make the first round of the playoffs an extension of the end of the season (just warm ups for the real deal). 

So, do the real playoffs start next round?  It's just weird, that the game tonight seems to be almost an afterthought. Am I misreading this? 

What is the reason? 

Do you think a contender will eventually step up to the Celtics attack in the East?
Yup

Re: The Celtics Have a Playoff Game Tonight
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 04:05:32 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
It's an afterthought because the result is a given. The games against Atlanta haven't been a contest all season long.

The only question mark I have is will the Celtics win by 10? 20? or 30?

Next round will be better. Celtics will favoured but at least they'll be playing against a basketball team and there will be a contest, some competitive basketball.

The Hawks performance has been pathetic

Seriously I've been thinking about it for two days now and I can't recall a more one-sided series in recent years. This was clear a month before the playoffs begun that the C's would slaughter the Hawks, that none of the four games would be competitive (they won't be). When's the last time such a weak team has met such a powerful? When the weak team lacks firepower? When the weak team matches up so horribly with the strong team?

It doesn't even feel like a playoff game/series. Playoffs are competitive. It's a slaughter.

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 04:11:41 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
just remembering threres a game thread to talk about today  ;)
Altough
I know this was created heading  other direction

What i can certanly say about this one is that I predicted there will be one win for Atlanta in this series, and we are all going to be very happy about it
Maybe it will be today.
Maybe that will put TA back in rotation
Maybe house will be in too
Maybe Posee will lose some minutes
Who knows
Maybe...-

Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 04:12:30 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145

Seriously I've been thinking about it for two days now and I can't recall a more one-sided series in recent years. This was clear a month before the playoffs begun that the C's would slaughter the Hawks, that none of the four games would be competitive (they won't be). When's the last time such a weak team has met such a powerful? When the weak team lacks firepower? When the weak team matches up so horribly with the strong team?

This one's easy. 2004 Celts.

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 04:13:35 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

This one's easy. 2004 Celts.
That's second on my list but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as this

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 04:15:09 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
When's the last time such a weak team has met such a powerful? When the weak team lacks firepower? When the weak team matches up so horribly with the strong team?
Celts were pretty overwhelmed by Indy in `04

http://www.nba.com/playoffs2004/series_indbos.html

<edit> Spent too long looking for the link!  You guys beat me to it.  This one was pretty bad.  The Celts stunk.  At least we had Chucky!
Yup

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 07:30:53 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I am more pumped for this game then the last, though the Booing Bibby was pretty awesome.

Tonight though our guys have a chance to get their road playoff win together, and we don't want to end up like Detroit so I'm expecting some intensity from both teams.

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 07:46:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Since I know there is a game thread to talk about the actual game and this is a bit different, I figured I'd vent here.

Maybe the reason for the seemingly lack of interest is the way the league has them scheduled. There are two series that have already finished their 4th game before the C's have played their third. Every other series will have played at least 3 games before the Celtics start their third. It's possible that the Magic could close out a 5 games series before the Celtics finish their fourth game.

It's time to get rid of these 3 days between games crap in the playoffs. It is a thing that more and more prevalent every year. In 10 years it is predicted the season will end in August the way things are going. Okay, August is a stretch, but July isn't.

Let's go with the two days max between games and the occasional back to back. It adds more to the game.

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2008, 07:57:04 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Since I know there is a game thread to talk about the actual game and this is a bit different, I figured I'd vent here.

Maybe the reason for the seemingly lack of interest is the way the league has them scheduled. There are two series that have already finished their 4th game before the C's have played their third. Every other series will have played at least 3 games before the Celtics start their third. It's possible that the Magic could close out a 5 games series before the Celtics finish their fourth game.

It's time to get rid of these 3 days between games crap in the playoffs. It is a thing that more and more prevalent every year. In 10 years it is predicted the season will end in August the way things are going. Okay, August is a stretch, but July isn't.

Let's go with the two days max between games and the occasional back to back. It adds more to the game.
Yeah I've found that a little irritating too. Watching the Magic pretty much close out the Raptors and began heading home to Orlando before the Lakers/Celtics series even switch home court.

Both 1-8 seeds, East+West, maybe they were worried about the middle series going long? That's the only thing I can come up with.

Would it bother one more to wait 7 days in between the first round to second round (7 game Washington-Cleveland series would be close to that) or is the three day wait better?

Anyways TV money demands it

Edit: Wizards 7th game is on the 4th of May. Celtics fourth is the 28th of April. That's a 6 wait just to see who comes out of that series if it went long, add another 2-3 days before round two starts. That's with the Celtics being backtracked and having to wait longer in between games. Present way might be better than I initially thoughy.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 08:07:07 PM by Who »

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2008, 08:08:49 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I like the set up but you are right, one good back to back could even out all this 3 day waiting. 

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 08:38:44 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
When's the last time such a weak team has met such a powerful? When the weak team lacks firepower? When the weak team matches up so horribly with the strong team?
Celts were pretty overwhelmed by Indy in `04

http://www.nba.com/playoffs2004/series_indbos.html

<edit> Spent too long looking for the link!  You guys beat me to it.  This one was pretty bad.  The Celts stunk.  At least we had Chucky!

God I remember going to the elimination game, it was so hard to get any emotion going knowing they had absolutely zero chance of winning.