Author Topic: NFL, ex-Pats video assistant Walsh finally agree to Spygate meeting  (Read 11270 times)

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Re: NFL, ex-Pats video assistant Walsh finally agree to Spygate meeting
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 02:06:22 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3363455

I cannot stress how much this will suck if he has something on the Pats.
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 02:17:07 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
All this stuff seems so circumstantial, and it seems like there is such a double standard going on against the Patriots. The NFL says everyone taped, so now on one can tape, the Patriots tape, they get penalized, now we find footage of them taping previously, even though we admitted everyone was doing it, let's punish them again.

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 02:58:41 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
All this stuff seems so circumstantial, and it seems like there is such a double standard going on against the Patriots. The NFL says everyone taped, so now on one can tape, the Patriots tape, they get penalized, now we find footage of them taping previously, even though we admitted everyone was doing it, let's punish them again.

It's not really an issue of punishing them again for the same infraction, but rather if there is a tape of them, say from 2001 (completely random number) and bill told goodell the taping didnt start till 2003 (agian, completely random).  So the issue really is whether Walsh has any information that is contradictory to what Bill already told them.  My bet, is no, he doesnt.  But, we dont really know what he has. 

It is the same type of situation that lead to Mike Vick's suspension (not comparing what he did and what bill did)...but the commissioner determined that Vick lied to him about the whole thing, which contributed to the indefinite suspension.  Similar things make occur with PacMan Jones...he told the commish one thing, but if it is determined he wasnt truthful, Goodell could use that to justify extending the suspension.

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 03:05:10 PM »

Offline MaineBleedsGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
This whole thing is horrible. The worst part is I have to keep pushing the idea that the taping might have helped us win those super bowls to the back of my mind. I just want to see the Pats the way they are, as one of the top teams in the NFL.

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 03:14:38 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
This whole thing is horrible. The worst part is I have to keep pushing the idea that the taping might have helped us win those super bowls to the back of my mind. I just want to see the Pats the way they are, as one of the top teams in the NFL.

well unless bill is houdini you can dismiss the fact that the tapes they've showed (so far) are anything other teams don't do from other angles. if doesn't give you an advantage that game, unless you have that guy from "a beutiful mind" in the back decoding which of the 3 coaches giving signals is hot, what those signals mean, and relaying them back within 10 seconds so they can get them into tom before his helmet shuts down.

the only thing that this sotry does for me is question the smarts of belicheck. why not put this kid in the front row with a mini camera? no one would ever have known. why they chose to flaunt him in the jets stadium right in front of an ex assistant is beyond me.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 03:56:53 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

the only thing that this sotry does for me is question the smarts of belicheck. why not put this kid in the front row with a mini camera? no one would ever have known. why they chose to flaunt him in the jets stadium right in front of an ex assistant is beyond me.

well if you believe bill, it was because he didnt think it was a violation of the rule.  no need to sneak around when you think what you are doing is within the rules of the game. 

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 04:17:32 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
I'd buy that more if the pats hadn't gotten memo's along with the rest of the league that it was frowned upon.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 05:12:48 PM »

Offline biggs1221

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
I'd buy that more if the pats hadn't gotten memo's along with the rest of the league that it was frowned upon.

It bothers me whenever someone points to the magic memo as if it said "taping opponents signals is illegal."  Everyone seems to presume thats what it says (probably because of the media hysteria), though it doesnt.  If the point of the memo was to say that, then it should have flat out said that.  Everyone has to remember also that taping is an integral part of what coaches do / study.  Therefore, its likely that coaches would not simply presume that taping something in plain view is illegal, or even ethically questionable (at least before the Patriots were penalized).

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 06:48:01 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
i wasn't pointing to it for that, but it does say, quite clearly, that no cameras in the sideline area may tape opposing teams. There's a dedicated spot for teams to do that from.

I'm not anti pat's or anything, but to do that, when you have to suspect your ex-assistant will probaly be a jackhole about it, is arrogance, or extremely shortsighted.

I could care less they were taping, i't just irks me this all stems from an easily avoidable situation.

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 07:27:01 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
i wasn't pointing to it for that, but it does say, quite clearly, that no cameras in the sideline area may tape opposing teams. There's a dedicated spot for teams to do that from.

I'm not anti pat's or anything, but to do that, when you have to suspect your ex-assistant will probaly be a jackhole about it, is arrogance, or extremely shortsighted.

I could care less they were taping, i't just irks me this all stems from an easily avoidable situation.

I am not trying to defend bill, because it was stupid, but again, if he thought it was within the rules, but not to use the tapes during the game, it wouldnt matter where he had the cameraman.  he could have stuck him on the field if he thought that was best (joking...but you know what i mean).

Bill interpreted the rule as you cannot tape an opponent in order to use the tape that day.  he supposedly didnt use the tapes in that game but instead in preperation later.

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 10:41:54 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
NY times is reporting that Walsh sent the league 8 tapes. There was no tape of the Rams walk through. Great job Boston Herald and Tomase.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/08/sports/football/08nfl.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 10:44:08 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I doubt the Pats get any further penalty; they shouldn't, anyway, since there's nothing really new here.  I guess maybe the fact that the Pats were taping offensive signals, as well, but this seems to all fall within what the team was already punished for.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 10:50:35 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
I don't get why Walsh didn't dispel the walk through rumors months ago.

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 11:13:35 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I don't get why Walsh didn't dispel the walk through rumors months ago.

Well, I don't think he wanted to comment on any of it until he knew what kind of deal he could get.  It's not like it was his responsibility to correct media reports.