Author Topic: Shaun Alexander says he wants to play for the Patriots  (Read 8652 times)

Shaun Alexander says he wants to play for the Patriots
« on: April 22, 2008, 08:06:52 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
In case some of you didn't know...Shaun Alexander was cut by the Seahawks this afternoon.  According to John Clayton, Alexander told some of his former teammates right after he was cut that he was interested in playing for either the patriots or the colts.

A two running back attack of Maroney and Alexander sounds good, but Shaun Alexander had an absoluetly dreadful year this past year.  If his wrist is healthy and he doesn't expect a big contract, I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him.

Re: Shaun Alexander says he wants to play for the Patriots
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 08:32:43 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Can he even pass a physical these days?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 08:47:37 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Interesting... But I ask you this, after last season, is he better than a healthy Sammy Morris?

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 08:48:56 PM »

Offline Pawtucket Pat

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21
I don't know, man. He was awful last year, and, to be honest, I'm not sure he was ever that good. You sort of get the feeling it was all the offensive line doing the work. As soon as Hutchinson left town, he was very, very ordinary.

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 08:55:13 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
He absolutely killed my fantasy team last year. No thanks.

(Yes, I know I'm being completely irrational.)

Let's give it a try, it wouldn't hurt.

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 08:59:26 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Very talented, but very over-rated ... I'd opt in another direction ... too many "ifs".
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 09:31:14 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
A running back who played hard...got his big contract and quit on his team.  he sulked.  he looked out solely for his own gain rather then his teams.

If he could ever get back to what he was then talent wise, sure.  but i'll pass.

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 10:05:52 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
So it seems the general consensus is to pass on him, new question, to the Colts take a chance on him, and do the Patriots regret letting him go?

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 10:11:35 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
A two running back attack of Maroney and Alexander sounds good

.... but a two running back attack of Maroney and Morris sounds even better.  Morris was really tearing it up at the beginning of last year, and I look forward to having him back (and healthy). 
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 10:27:20 AM »

Offline earl

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 14
Fits the mold if the Pats can get him low risk. I would expect Indy to make a better offer.

Personally, I think his attitude has been crap since that MVP season. I am more than happy with a Maroney/Morris backfield. Morris is the real hammer you want back there grinding out yards. He was a big loss last year IMO.

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 10:28:56 AM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
I'm sorry but this is ridiculous.  Sammy Morris has had like 2 good games his whole career.  I like him but he hasn't proven anything at all.  Shaun Alexander was the MVP 2 years ago.  I know he struggled last year but Seattle is a much different team then us.  He was the main focus of the opposing teams defense every game.  We also have a better O-line then they do.  And we have Tom Brady. 

A 2-RB system of Maroney and Alexander would really make us unstoppable on offense.  He seems like a good character guy who might be willing to take a cheap contract to play for us.  If thats the case then we could just cut him if he sucks and we still have Sammy morris.  He could be like this years Randy Moss.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 10:33:13 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
I'm sorry but this is ridiculous.  Sammy Morris has had like 2 good games his whole career.  I like him but he hasn't proven anything at all.  Shaun Alexander was the MVP 2 years ago.  I know he struggled last year but Seattle is a much different team then us.  He was the main focus of the opposing teams defense every game.  We also have a better O-line then they do.  And we have Tom Brady. 

A 2-RB system of Maroney and Alexander would really make us unstoppable on offense.  He seems like a good character guy who might be willing to take a cheap contract to play for us.  If thats the case then we could just cut him if he sucks and we still have Sammy morris.  He could be like this years Randy Moss.

Why do you think he seems like a good character guy?  ever published source seems to indicate the contrary.  There was severe worry in the Seahawks organization that after he got paid he wouldnt work hard.  look what happened.  he sulks.  he is me first.  he is anything but a patriot player (other then the fact that if he wants to be he is talented).

I also dont think he is going to take a cheap contract.

Additionally, I think he is going to look to sign with a team that will give him the opportunity to be an everydown rb, rather then a platoon.

Additionally, and I admit I am going just based on what I have read, but he isnt a good blocker or pass catcher.  If that is the case, then he is missing two of the 3 skills the Patriots look for in their RB.  (I do agree with you that Sammy Morris is so amazingly overrated by Patriot fans it is sickening.)

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 10:35:07 AM »

Offline MaineBleedsGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
I can see the question marks, but I agree with shook here, except on the character part. it would atleast be interesting to see what the cost would be ... while driving up the price for indy a bit.

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 10:43:50 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Man, if the Pats get Alexander they might go 16-0! 
Yup

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 10:48:16 AM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73

Why do you think he seems like a good character guy?  ever published source seems to indicate the contrary.  There was severe worry in the Seahawks organization that after he got paid he wouldnt work hard.  look what happened.  he sulks.  he is me first.  he is anything but a patriot player (other then the fact that if he wants to be he is talented).

I also dont think he is going to take a cheap contract.

Additionally, I think he is going to look to sign with a team that will give him the opportunity to be an everydown rb, rather then a platoon.

Additionally, and I admit I am going just based on what I have read, but he isnt a good blocker or pass catcher.  If that is the case, then he is missing two of the 3 skills the Patriots look for in their RB.  (I do agree with you that Sammy Morris is so amazingly overrated by Patriot fans it is sickening.)

Obviously I don't know the guy but every time I hear him talk or give an interview I am impressed.  He seems like a pretty smart and level-headed person.  I know that doesn't neccesarily mean he is a "good character guy" but, to me, he shows a level of respect and intelligence that is rare in the NFL (except for the patriots).  I also think he knows better than to come into the patriots locker room and mess around.
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.