Author Topic: Playoff Dates 1st round for Celtics home games  (Read 34491 times)

Re: Playoff Dates 1st round for Celtics home games
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 11:34:59 AM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
The first Celtics play-off game will be next Sunday night on ESPN.

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 11:35:45 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Do you have a link? 

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 01:13:25 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
It has happened The Bruins not only got their first lead against montreal its over they did it THEY BEAT THE MONTREAL CANADIANS there will NOT be a sweep YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

without that terrable call in game 2, the bruins had a real shot to be up 2-1.

GO BRUINS!
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Re: Celtics playoff schedule
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 01:42:05 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
any idea when they will announce the first round dates?

maybe on the last day of the regular season. Wednesday.

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 02:16:33 PM »

Offline CT34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38

Do you have a link? 

No link just a little birdie told me that either the Cs or Cav/Wizard will get that ESPN prime time spot on Sunday.   

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 02:23:05 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Do you have a link? 

No link just a little birdie told me that either the Cs or Cav/Wizard will get that ESPN prime time spot on Sunday.   

I think it is certainly the most likely thing for the reasons that have already been mentioned on this site.  But please do not make posts like that, unless you have legit information with a source to back it up (as in the "little Birdie" is a member of the Celtics front office, who you will tell us the name of). 

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2008, 03:05:33 PM »

Offline Section 87

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 56
The league will not make any official schedule announcements for the Playoffs until Wednesday 4-16. They may have to wait until that night's games are complete to determine the matchups. The schedule may be released so late that it's effectively Thursday 4-17 by the time it's announced.

If the Bruins win tomorrow (Tue 4-15), then they will DEFINITELY host the Canadiens on Saturday, 4-19. If they win tomorrow, the NHL will most likely announce the Saturday game time, by noon on Wednesday 4-16. The Bruins cannot be eliminated from the playoffs before Thursday night, after the NBA schedules have been set for the weekend.

If the Briuns play on Saturday afternoon, the Celtics may play on Saturday evening. My worst-case scenario--I have to play a gig in Somerville that night. We don't play until about 10:30 or 11:00 pm, so I'm hoping for an early start time and a Celtics blowout, and I'll leave the game early. It's possible for the Celtics to play the matinee, and the Bruins play in the evening, but hockey after basketball at the Garden is quite rare; not nearly as common as basketball after hockey. It's also possible that the Celtics will play on Sunday. The NBA always schedules every playoff team to play on Saturday or Sunday of the opening weekend of the Playoffs, and I don't see any reason to expect that to change.

The TV crews, the Garden staff and management, the leagues, and the teams, may have advance information, but it may be subject to last-minute changes as the NBA season comes to a close and the NHL playoffs progress. The NBA really needs to know the results of Wednesday night's NBA and NHL games before the make anything final. So, even if you have a little Larry Bird with secret information, the information may change.

I'm hoping for a Sunday game. If Atlanta win 1 more game, or Indiana loses 1, we draw Atlanta and Indiana is out. If Atlanta loses 2 and Indiana wins 2, I believe that means we draw Indiana and Atlanta is out.

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008, 03:40:59 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

Do you have a link? 

I think it is certainly the most likely thing for the reasons that have already been mentioned on this site.  But please do not make posts like that, unless you have legit information with a source to back it up (as in the "little Birdie" is a member of the Celtics front office, who you will tell us the name of). 

This seems particularly odd to me as I believe that the Sunday night time slots for opening weekend belong to TNT.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2008, 10:49:57 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I hope it starts as late on the schedule. 

That way, there will be less time between the 4 game sweep and the 7 game war of the 4/5 matchup.

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2008, 11:22:49 AM »

Offline Bleedgreen

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5
Quick playoff question for you guys. Does the NBA re-seed after the first round.
In other words, we win, if the Toronto or Phildelphia win, do we face them instead of the winner of the 4-5 match-up? Just curious. I thought I remember hearin they changed to that this season after last year's western conference fiasco.
As far as playing, I didn't care who guarded me - red, yellow, black. I just didn't want a white guy guarding me, because it's disrespect to my game.
-Larry Bird

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2008, 11:28:08 AM »

Offline Section 87

• NCE
  • Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 56
FAQ:
No reseeding. The seeding is a fixed bracket, like the NCAA. The winner of 1-vs-8 plays the winner of 4-vs-5; winner of 2-vs-7 plays winner of 3-vs-6, etc.

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2008, 11:28:23 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Quick playoff question for you guys. Does the NBA re-seed after the first round.
In other words, we win, if the Toronto or Phildelphia win, do we face them instead of the winner of the 4-5 match-up? Just curious. I thought I remember hearin they changed to that this season after last year's western conference fiasco.

No.  We would face 4/5 winner regardless.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2008, 11:31:52 AM »

Offline Bleedgreen

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 5
Thanks guys
As far as playing, I didn't care who guarded me - red, yellow, black. I just didn't want a white guy guarding me, because it's disrespect to my game.
-Larry Bird

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2008, 11:36:37 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I would actually be surprised if the C's get a prime-time spot opening weekend, simply because every series out West could be considered a marquee matchup.  While the Celtics would bring in the ratings, a matchup with the Hawks (who have a losing record) isn't exactly must-see TV for the national audience.

Factor in the time zone issues and I would expect the Western games to get the prime time (and late-night spots) and see the weaker Eastern games get the afternoon TV spots.

Just my opinion, but you would think the networks would want to air the better games.  I don't want to jinx anything, but I really don't expect much drama in the first round in Boston.

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2008, 11:45:30 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I would actually be surprised if the C's get a prime-time spot opening weekend, simply because every series out West could be considered a marquee matchup.  While the Celtics would bring in the ratings, a matchup with the Hawks (who have a losing record) isn't exactly must-see TV for the national audience.

Factor in the time zone issues and I would expect the Western games to get the prime time (and late-night spots) and see the weaker Eastern games get the afternoon TV spots.

Just my opinion, but you would think the networks would want to air the better games.  I don't want to jinx anything, but I really don't expect much drama in the first round in Boston.

We should get the prime-time spot - they'll probably do 1 West and 1 East series, because I'm sure the league dictates they balance coverage between conferences as much as possible.  Our series and CLE-WAS are probably seen as the "sexiest" matchups in the East.  TOR-ORL could be a good series but both teams are seen as "regional" teams without a lot of national interest.  DET-PHI will probably be the NBATV series for most of their games.  I think they'll alternate us and CLE-WAS, with each of us getting a prime spot on alternating nights.  After the first 2 games when we're up 2-0 (knock on wood) they might switch us with a better series.