Author Topic: Patriots Off-Season News  (Read 57820 times)

Re: Patriots Off-Season News
« Reply #255 on: June 05, 2024, 04:20:54 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1220
I think you guys are missing the biggest point. Our O-Line absolutely blows. Even in yesterday's reporting, apparently the offense was looking good early on but then once they bought the O-Line on to the field and simulated things with them, it went haywire for everyone.

I get that not every team's O-Line is elite, but there also aren't many which are as putrid and injury-prone as New England's. We legit don't even have a LT and our guard position is a little questionable too with injury prone guys (Cole Strange) and some rookies or 2nd year guys they'll have to heavily rely on alongside Andrews, who is also probably close to retirement.

Just not pretty, and not a great way to support a rookie QB in particular, or any young ones really.

It's the #1 reason that I want Brissett starting over Maye. Unlike some non-Pays fans, I want to see him have a good long career and this O-Line would prevent that.

It would likely also build some bad habits in a young QB which should be avoided.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #256 on: June 05, 2024, 04:37:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1581
I think you guys are missing the biggest point. Our O-Line absolutely blows. Even in yesterday's reporting, apparently the offense was looking good early on but then once they bought the O-Line on to the field and simulated things with them, it went haywire for everyone.

I get that not every team's O-Line is elite, but there also aren't many which are as putrid and injury-prone as New England's. We legit don't even have a LT and our guard position is a little questionable too with injury prone guys (Cole Strange) and some rookies or 2nd year guys they'll have to heavily rely on alongside Andrews, who is also probably close to retirement.

Just not pretty, and not a great way to support a rookie QB in particular, or any young ones really.

It's the #1 reason that I want Brissett starting over Maye. Unlike some non-Pays fans, I want to see him have a good long career and this O-Line would prevent that.

It would likely also build some bad habits in a young QB which should be avoided.
Plenty of top tier rookies play behind bad lines and are fine and others play behind great OL and are terrible.  Playing is far more important, especially for a high draft pick.  If Maye was a mid to late 1st, sitting him to start would make more sense, but Maye was the 3rd pick in the draft. He should play. He has the talent and the Pats put high value into him.  Brissett is a terrible starting QB. Arguably, the worst one in the sport (he is probably better than O'Connell, but I honestly can't think of another).  If the Pats are tanking the years then sure don't play Maye, but I'd be surprised if the Pats were tanking the year at this point of the season.

2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #257 on: June 05, 2024, 05:57:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1407

Plenty of top tier rookies play behind bad lines and are fine and others play behind great OL and are terrible.  Playing is far more important, especially for a high draft pick.  If Maye was a mid to late 1st, sitting him to start would make more sense, but Maye was the 3rd pick in the draft. He should play. He has the talent and the Pats put high value into him.  Brissett is a terrible starting QB. Arguably, the worst one in the sport (he is probably better than O'Connell, but I honestly can't think of another).  If the Pats are tanking the years then sure don't play Maye, but I'd be surprised if the Pats were tanking the year at this point of the season.

They don’t really have to tank they are currently betting favorite to have number one pick in 2025 draft.

« Reply #258 on: June 05, 2024, 07:47:14 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: 3119
  • On To Banner 18!

They don’t really have to tank they are currently betting favorite to have number one pick in 2025 draft.

Not only that, but calling our line "bad" is actually a compliment. It's absolutely horrific. If you watch the Pats games you'll notice it rightaway. As soon as the QB catches the snap, there'll be two defenders already at him because the tackles in particular whiff.

Mac Jones probably wasn't the guy and both sides needed a fresh start. I understand. But I'm still going to acknowledge too that he wasn't put in a place to succeed here at all with the O-Line, and if Maye doesn't pan out in a few years with this O-Line remaining as it is, then you have to really start questioning the coaching and front office.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller