Author Topic: Patriots Off-Season News  (Read 105561 times)

Re: Patriots Off-Season News
« Reply #255 on: June 05, 2024, 04:20:54 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1223
I think you guys are missing the biggest point. Our O-Line absolutely blows. Even in yesterday's reporting, apparently the offense was looking good early on but then once they bought the O-Line on to the field and simulated things with them, it went haywire for everyone.

I get that not every team's O-Line is elite, but there also aren't many which are as putrid and injury-prone as New England's. We legit don't even have a LT and our guard position is a little questionable too with injury prone guys (Cole Strange) and some rookies or 2nd year guys they'll have to heavily rely on alongside Andrews, who is also probably close to retirement.

Just not pretty, and not a great way to support a rookie QB in particular, or any young ones really.

It's the #1 reason that I want Brissett starting over Maye. Unlike some non-Pays fans, I want to see him have a good long career and this O-Line would prevent that.

It would likely also build some bad habits in a young QB which should be avoided.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #256 on: June 05, 2024, 04:37:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1585
I think you guys are missing the biggest point. Our O-Line absolutely blows. Even in yesterday's reporting, apparently the offense was looking good early on but then once they bought the O-Line on to the field and simulated things with them, it went haywire for everyone.

I get that not every team's O-Line is elite, but there also aren't many which are as putrid and injury-prone as New England's. We legit don't even have a LT and our guard position is a little questionable too with injury prone guys (Cole Strange) and some rookies or 2nd year guys they'll have to heavily rely on alongside Andrews, who is also probably close to retirement.

Just not pretty, and not a great way to support a rookie QB in particular, or any young ones really.

It's the #1 reason that I want Brissett starting over Maye. Unlike some non-Pays fans, I want to see him have a good long career and this O-Line would prevent that.

It would likely also build some bad habits in a young QB which should be avoided.
Plenty of top tier rookies play behind bad lines and are fine and others play behind great OL and are terrible.  Playing is far more important, especially for a high draft pick.  If Maye was a mid to late 1st, sitting him to start would make more sense, but Maye was the 3rd pick in the draft. He should play. He has the talent and the Pats put high value into him.  Brissett is a terrible starting QB. Arguably, the worst one in the sport (he is probably better than O'Connell, but I honestly can't think of another).  If the Pats are tanking the years then sure don't play Maye, but I'd be surprised if the Pats were tanking the year at this point of the season.

2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #257 on: June 05, 2024, 05:57:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1407

Plenty of top tier rookies play behind bad lines and are fine and others play behind great OL and are terrible.  Playing is far more important, especially for a high draft pick.  If Maye was a mid to late 1st, sitting him to start would make more sense, but Maye was the 3rd pick in the draft. He should play. He has the talent and the Pats put high value into him.  Brissett is a terrible starting QB. Arguably, the worst one in the sport (he is probably better than O'Connell, but I honestly can't think of another).  If the Pats are tanking the years then sure don't play Maye, but I'd be surprised if the Pats were tanking the year at this point of the season.

They don’t really have to tank they are currently betting favorite to have number one pick in 2025 draft.

« Reply #258 on: June 05, 2024, 07:47:14 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Walter Brown
  • Tommy Points: 3128
  • On To Banner 19!

They don’t really have to tank they are currently betting favorite to have number one pick in 2025 draft.

Not only that, but calling our line "bad" is actually a compliment. It's absolutely horrific. If you watch the Pats games you'll notice it rightaway. As soon as the QB catches the snap, there'll be two defenders already at him because the tackles in particular whiff.

Mac Jones probably wasn't the guy and both sides needed a fresh start. I understand. But I'm still going to acknowledge too that he wasn't put in a place to succeed here at all with the O-Line, and if Maye doesn't pan out in a few years with this O-Line remaining as it is, then you have to really start questioning the coaching and front office.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #259 on: July 29, 2024, 08:25:07 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1530
Seems like Brissett still has a firm hold on the starting job. Will be interesting to see how the rest of camp goes. From earlier today:

Rookie quarterback Drake Maye did not have a great practice on Monday.

Kyle Dugger picked Maye off during the 7-on-7 session, where Maye finished 2-for-6. The throw was a short one to the outside, and Dugger made a nice play by tipping the ball to himself.

Things didn?t go much for Maye better during 11-on-11s. Maye went 1-for-5, with the only completion being a short pass to Javon Baker.

On the other hand, Jacoby Brissett had a strong showing, completing all but three of his passes. Tyquan Thornton made a sliding over the shoulder catch that drew cheers from the crowd.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #260 on: July 29, 2024, 08:42:02 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 569

« Reply #261 on: July 29, 2024, 08:48:39 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Walter Brown
  • On To Banner 19!
Barmore being treated for blood clots.  Out indefinitely. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/patriots-christian-barmore-treated-for-blood-clots-how-common-is-diagnosis-among-athletes/ar-BB1qQz3V?ocid=BingNewsSerp

Man that's awful. Hope he has a fine recovery.

I remember David Andrews also dealt with blood clots before the 2019 season. Scary

« Reply #262 on: July 29, 2024, 08:49:43 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Walter Brown
  • On To Banner 19!
Seems like Brissett still has a firm hold on the starting job. Will be interesting to see how the rest of camp goes. From earlier today:

Rookie quarterback Drake Maye did not have a great practice on Monday.

Kyle Dugger picked Maye off during the 7-on-7 session, where Maye finished 2-for-6. The throw was a short one to the outside, and Dugger made a nice play by tipping the ball to himself.

Things didn?t go much for Maye better during 11-on-11s. Maye went 1-for-5, with the only completion being a short pass to Javon Baker.

On the other hand, Jacoby Brissett had a strong showing, completing all but three of his passes. Tyquan Thornton made a sliding over the shoulder catch that drew cheers from the crowd.

Barring a major injury to Brissett, I'm expecting him to be the starter for the first two months. It's not just about Maye's progress in camp, but also the tough schedule + poor O-Line. That's just a poor mix to bring any rookie QB into.

« Reply #263 on: July 29, 2024, 09:23:23 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 335
The Pats still need a top X receiver, in addition to a left tackle. I think they're best served sucking for another year. I'm not sure if they have a choice in the matter, but one more tough year is ok.
The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing.

« Reply #264 on: July 29, 2024, 09:53:47 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
The Pats still need a top X receiver, in addition to a left tackle. I think they're best served sucking for another year. I'm not sure if they have a choice in the matter, but one more tough year is ok.

Kraft isn?t going to spend money on a top receiver until they have a franchise QB. Might be Maye, might not be. We shall see.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #265 on: July 29, 2024, 10:24:15 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1407

How do you always have stuff comically wrong on the patriots. Their over under is 4.5 wins they don?t have a choice in tanking.

« Reply #266 on: July 30, 2024, 06:22:17 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
Greg Bedard (Boston Sports Journal) thoughts so far on the QB situation at training camp:

Felger: It was obvious to you at whatever point that the operation of the offense looked better under Mac Jones than Cam Newton. You?re not seeing that with Drake Maye, or if you?re seeing anything, it?s that it just looks much better with Jacoby Brissett?

Greg Bedard: Yeah. You can?t even compare where Mac Jones was and where Drake Maye is. I mean, it was. I think it was one of the first red zone periods of camp when they were in pads and Mac just knew what he was going to see after the snap, and I don?t know how much of that was McDaniels or what have you, but compared to Cam, I mean, who look, we all love Cam Newton, but diagnosing defenses, making checks at the line in a Patriots style offense was not his forte. Mac Jones came from that offense in Alabama and as soon as that happened, I turned to Chris Gasper and I was like, ?it?s over. He?s going to be the starter?. And this was like, the first day of pads. Drake Maye, it?s not even close to that. He?s closer to where Cam Newton was at that point then where Mac Jones was.

« Reply #267 on: July 30, 2024, 06:32:50 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1223
Greg Bedard (Boston Sports Journal) thoughts so far on the QB situation at training camp:

Felger: It was obvious to you at whatever point that the operation of the offense looked better under Mac Jones than Cam Newton. You?re not seeing that with Drake Maye, or if you?re seeing anything, it?s that it just looks much better with Jacoby Brissett?

Greg Bedard: Yeah. You can?t even compare where Mac Jones was and where Drake Maye is. I mean, it was. I think it was one of the first red zone periods of camp when they were in pads and Mac just knew what he was going to see after the snap, and I don?t know how much of that was McDaniels or what have you, but compared to Cam, I mean, who look, we all love Cam Newton, but diagnosing defenses, making checks at the line in a Patriots style offense was not his forte. Mac Jones came from that offense in Alabama and as soon as that happened, I turned to Chris Gasper and I was like, ?it?s over. He?s going to be the starter?. And this was like, the first day of pads. Drake Maye, it?s not even close to that. He?s closer to where Cam Newton was at that point then where Mac Jones was.

Not surprising, we new he was gonna be more of a project than Jones. And I don't think it helps that Brosset at this point is better than Cam was when he was here
I'm bitter.

« Reply #268 on: July 30, 2024, 06:37:02 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1015

Not surprising, we new he was gonna be more of a project than Jones. And I don't think it helps that Brosset at this point is better than Cam was when he was here

All that said, I do think the Pats made a mistake preferring Maye to McCarthy, as I said all through the draft process.  I think JJ would be  further ahead.

« Reply #269 on: July 30, 2024, 09:57:56 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 335
Did you watch JJ last year? He was a systems qb on a stacked team. Drake had to create their offense, while Michigan's running game carried the day.

JJ McCarthy might end up being better than Drake Maye, but I think it's hard to say that right now.
The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing.