Author Topic: CP3 Waived by the Suns  (Read 8497 times)

Re: CP3 Waived by the Suns
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2023, 11:03:15 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I didnt realize he was almost 40. Pass on him I guess.

it is interesting that so many title teams did not have a superstar PG running things. It kind of kills my theory that is what we need. We need someone more like a Simmons with a lions heart who can not only distribute but also do other things perhaps. obviously simmons does not have the right character for that role but it would be nice to find someone who could fit that role perhaps. If Smart could delete the I am king mentality that sometimes pops up in games and really focus on distribution and defense, he could be that person but I am not convinced he can. When is passing first and playing slaying defense, he is amazing and a huge asset. When he plays hero ball and looking for his shot, it goes the other way.

« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2023, 11:13:39 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I am still seeing that nothing is official, correct?  That he might be waived, there may be on going discussions but nothing official?

In any case, I don't see a fit for Chris Paul on the Celtics.  Even if released and willing to sign a vet min, there will be other places more attractive to him.  So the Celtics don't need him and he isn't going to want to come here anyway.

I think you're correct that he's got preferable destinations readily available.  Heck, one destination would be back to the Suns.  The Lakers are obviously out there, too.

As for whether we need him...  "Need" isn't the right word, but I expect our offense would be better with him as PG.  The defense would suffer.  I guess it would depend on which our brain trust wants to emphasize.

I remember in bubble how Brad spoke so glowingly about CP as his Thunder team dismantled Celtics. Spoke of how Paul was such a great communicator on the court.

He's unquestionably one of the best point guards to ever play the game. His lack of postseason success is very (singularly?) peculiar.
Is it?  Stockton, Nash, and Paul never won and Kidd and Payton picked their 1 title up long after their prime (they were still important contributors but not the guy).  Heck even Oscar's only title came at the end of his career when he ended up with Kareem in Milwaukee.  Magic, Curry, and Cousy are the only all time great PG's with more than 2 titles (Thomas and Frazier each have 2).  Parker might be the only other HOF PG with more than 2.  PG's tend to be small and small guys don't tend to have the great post season success.  Cousy ended up with Russell and Magic was built like a PF (or modern center).  Curry and Thomas are the only 2 PG's in history to have at least 2 titles as their teams best player and they both only have 2 with that criteria.  So Paul not winning a title isn't exactly peculiar for all time great PG's.

I agree with this.  I don't believe the Celtics need a "Pure PG" to be successful.  Even if you consider Steph Curry, is he really a pure PG?  Is his contribution ball handling and distributing the ball, getting the team into the offense?  Or is his success related to being the best pure shooter in the history of the game?

Magic Johnson may be the one PG that used traditional PG skills to lead his team to success.  So I am not saying it is impossible, just not necessary in general and not necessary for this Celtics team.

« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2023, 11:16:12 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

it is interesting that so many title teams did not have a superstar PG running things. It kind of kills my theory that is what we need. We need someone more like a Simmons with a lions heart who can not only distribute but also do other things perhaps. obviously simmons does not have the right character for that role but it would be nice to find someone who could fit that role perhaps. If Smart could delete the I am king mentality that sometimes pops up in games and really focus on distribution and defense, he could be that person but I am not convinced he can. When is passing first and playing slaying defense, he is amazing and a huge asset. When he plays hero ball and looking for his shot, it goes the other way.

If Ben Simmons wasn't Ben Simmons I think he'd be a great fit for this Celtics team, actually.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2023, 02:10:00 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Per SI Chris Mannix, the Celtics  Heat, and Grizzlies could pursue Chris Paul.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2023, 03:55:32 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I don't believe the Celtics need a "Pure PG" to be successful.  Even if you consider Steph Curry, is he really a pure PG?  Is his contribution ball handling and distributing the ball, getting the team into the offense?  Or is his success related to being the best pure shooter in the history of the game?

I consider Steph half PG half Reggie Miller.

Steph can play as a pure PG if he needs to but it is not the best use of his talents. He is amazing off the ball and an amazing scorer. Play guys to their strengths.

Steph's PG skills are under-rated though. He doesn't get enough credit for how well he can conduct an offense. How well he can pass the ball and create for teammates. His shooting & scoring and unconvential role overshadow his traditional PG skills which he mostly certainly has and is very good at.

You could see more of those PG skills early in his career. Not as much since Draymond took over more of the ball-handling and playmaking responsibilities in 2015-16.

I'd like to see Steph get more credit for this part (PG skills) of his game. I feel it is underappreciated.

« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2023, 03:59:25 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I agree with the sentiment that we do not need a pure PG or playmaking PG. I do believe we need more playmaking or facilitator type role in our offense though. It doesn't need to come from the PG but it does need to come from somewhere. It could be a SG. It could be a big man at PF or C.

That said, PG is one of the simplest areas for the team to find an upgrade in passing / playmaking ability. We have 3 combo guards who are all solid makeshift PGs but none are spectacular. This is the most straight-forward part of the team to find an upgrade in playmaking.

« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2023, 04:03:38 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
I am still seeing that nothing is official, correct?  That he might be waived, there may be on going discussions but nothing official?

In any case, I don't see a fit for Chris Paul on the Celtics.  Even if released and willing to sign a vet min, there will be other places more attractive to him.  So the Celtics don't need him and he isn't going to want to come here anyway.

I think you're correct that he's got preferable destinations readily available.  Heck, one destination would be back to the Suns.  The Lakers are obviously out there, too.

As for whether we need him...  "Need" isn't the right word, but I expect our offense would be better with him as PG.  The defense would suffer.  I guess it would depend on which our brain trust wants to emphasize.

I remember in bubble how Brad spoke so glowingly about CP as his Thunder team dismantled Celtics. Spoke of how Paul was such a great communicator on the court.

He's unquestionably one of the best point guards to ever play the game. His lack of postseason success is very (singularly?) peculiar.
Is it?  Stockton, Nash, and Paul never won and Kidd and Payton picked their 1 title up long after their prime (they were still important contributors but not the guy).  Heck even Oscar's only title came at the end of his career when he ended up with Kareem in Milwaukee.  Magic, Curry, and Cousy are the only all time great PG's with more than 2 titles (Thomas and Frazier each have 2).  Parker might be the only other HOF PG with more than 2.  PG's tend to be small and small guys don't tend to have the great post season success.  Cousy ended up with Russell and Magic was built like a PF (or modern center).  Curry and Thomas are the only 2 PG's in history to have at least 2 titles as their teams best player and they both only have 2 with that criteria.  So Paul not winning a title isn't exactly peculiar for all time great PG's.

I agree with this.  I don't believe the Celtics need a "Pure PG" to be successful.  Even if you consider Steph Curry, is he really a pure PG?  Is his contribution ball handling and distributing the ball, getting the team into the offense?  Or is his success related to being the best pure shooter in the history of the game?

Magic Johnson may be the one PG that used traditional PG skills to lead his team to success.  So I am not saying it is impossible, just not necessary in general and not necessary for this Celtics team.
I am a proponent of acquiring Paul. I think he'd help in areas of weakness for this team.  I was merely commenting on the idea that Paul's lack of post season success was peculiar.  That I just didn't agree with.

A few years ago, I looked at every Finals team since the Magic Lakers until Curry's Warriors and going off memory it was something like 5 starting PG's of the two finals teams were all stars that season.  I believe it was Payton, Stockton (only 1 of the 2 seasons), Kidd x2 (the NJ years), and 1 season from Parker.  I may have missed 1 in the memory, but there weren't many.  In the entire history of the league basically Thomas' 2 and Curry's 2 are the only 4 championships where the best player on the title team was smaller than 6'4".  Heck the only 2 guys at 6'4" who were or at least arguably were the best player on a title team were DJ and Wade. 

Small guys haven't historically mattered much until very recently.  However, with the changes to the game, I do think they are now more important
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2023, 04:07:10 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I don't believe the Celtics need a "Pure PG" to be successful.  Even if you consider Steph Curry, is he really a pure PG?  Is his contribution ball handling and distributing the ball, getting the team into the offense?  Or is his success related to being the best pure shooter in the history of the game?

I consider Steph half PG half Reggie Miller.

Steph can play as a pure PG if he needs to but it is not the best use of his talents. He is amazing off the ball and an amazing scorer. Play guys to their strengths.

Steph's PG skills are under-rated though. He doesn't get enough credit for how well he can conduct an offense. How well he can pass the ball and create for teammates. His shooting & scoring and unconvential role overshadow his traditional PG skills which he mostly certainly has and is very good at.

You could see more of those PG skills early in his career. Not as much since Draymond took over more of the ball-handling and playmaking responsibilities in 2015-16.

I'd like to see Steph get more credit for this part (PG skills) of his game. I feel it is underappreciated.

His on-ball creation is good, but just gets overshadowed by his off-ball creation. There isn't a single player in the world that demands so much attention running around or standing at the 3pt line without the ball.

And the offense they run really uses that skill well. Obviously we don't have that kind of off-ball talent, but adding more movement would really help the offense, especially with the Jays not being great at on-ball creation
I'm bitter.

« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2023, 04:48:35 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I doubt he d ever play for the “ hated” Boston team .

He is a born Laker fan or Riley Heat dude.

« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2023, 09:15:09 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
The Phoenix Suns haven't made a decision on the future of Chris Paul just yet. The Suns are exploring trades and various options for waiving Paul, should a trade not happen.

While doing that, Phoenix has eyes on other options at the lead guard position. Players linked to the Suns include Immanuel Quickley of the New York Knicks, Payton Pritchard of the Boston Celtics, Davion Mitchell of the Sacramento Kings, as well as Monte Morris of the Washington Wizards and soon-to-be free agent Gabe Vincent of the Miami Heat.

One player the Suns seem to have moved on from is Terry Rozier III of the Charlotte Hornets. While Phoenix has had interest in Rozier in the past, that seems to have waned.

Sounds like they are looking for backup PGs.

Personally, I rate Cameron Payne above Pritchard, Davion Mitchell and even Gabe Vincent. On a par with Monte Morris and with Quickley who is more of a SG than a real PG.

« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2023, 10:32:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

If Ben Simmons wasn't Ben Simmons I think he'd be a great fit for this Celtics team, actually.
Any way we can transplant Chris Paul’s brain into Ben Simmons’ body as part of acquiring him?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2023, 05:30:30 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

Any way we can transplant Chris Paul’s brain into Ben Simmons’ body as part of acquiring him?

I mean to be honest, he's a great passer who can defend 1-5 and wouldn't be anything involving the focal point of the offense. The problems really are his contract and his back.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2023, 06:27:59 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
He going to Lakers or Clippers..his family lives in LA & u know he always wanted to play for Lakers
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2023, 06:40:27 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I mean to be honest, he's a great passer who can defend 1-5 and wouldn't be anything involving the focal point of the offense. The problems really are his contract and his back.
I think his mental space is also an issue. He is unwilling to be aggressive on offence.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)